Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

cryba

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of long road names, I've always wondered who is/was John B. White, Sr.? I've lived in Spartanburg for 3 years now, so I feel like I should know this one. :blush:

John White Sr founded the Beacon Drive-In, which is a legendary Spartanburg eating establishment. If you haven't been you should go today :)

John White Blvd used to be called Reidville Rd, and many people still call it that. (they just renamed the section of Reidville Rd from I-26 to Main St)

• 4 weeks later...

There is a good article in the HJ today that gives a good recap on where planning has been in Spartanburg, where it is today, and the challenges we face as a city. Here is the link to the article.

Things that ahve been called for in the past have not come to fruition. The last plan in 1991 had several key things they we needed including a redesigned square, a parking structure, and a new cultural arts center among other things.

The future calls for density and bringing people back to the city and more importantly back to downtown. There used to be a good mix of people living downtown, but now it is devoid of residences.

Converse Heights is an an example of a solid intown neigborhood, and Hampton Heights is well on its way to becoming a string intown neighborhood as well... supposedly the Preservation Trust ahs identified other target neighborhoods to expand its effort to.

I hope that Park Hills, North Dean, South Converse, and Beaumont are among its next targets neightborhoods.

It's good to see that Spartanburg has made progress in terms of truly adopting recommendations made by various struggles. Maybe the success of implementing the suggestions in the 1991 study will give momentum to the implementation of the suggestions given in the recent charrette.

• 3 months later...

with the CCC planning an opening in october, does anyone know if the city is going to move forward with some of the street plans? I'm mainly thinking about Converse and liberty streets since they both serve the center. If you drive Converse street and come to the intersection of St. John, the building sits straight across from you, so they are going to have to reconfigure a little.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The master plan has been released! I haven't gotten my hands on the 200 page document yet, but I plan to as soon as I can.

The article in today's paper reveals most of the stuff that we've already heard of, and a few that we haven't:

• Relocated City Hall at Broadwalk
  • Streetscapes for Church St and Converse St
  • New urban village in Renaissance Park (which the city apparantly owns most of- I didn't know that)
  • Reconnect Streets in Renaissance Park
  • Village retail center on St John St- incliuding a grocery store, high end retail, offices, condos
  • 3 new parking decks on N Liberty St to support the retail center
  • "Bring back the middle class"
    • Bring Expand public and private support of neighborhood revitalization efforts for
      Hampton Heights
      Beaumont Mills
      South Converse Street
      Spartan Mills

"The master plan also includes key recommendations for parks and public spaces, including plans for Barnet Park, Magnolia Street Train Station, T.K. Gregg Recreation Center, Richardson Park, Denny's Corporate Park and Morgan Square. There also are a variety of other recommendations, including plans for storefront signs and murals, lighting, and branding and marketing"

Article

The Master Plan and Urban Codes will be available on the City's website sometime next week!!!

Link: http://www.cityofspartanburg.org/

Oh, I posted the wrong website for the City before (its .org not .com) I hope there was no confusion there. I like the City's new design better than the old one, but it still needs work, IMO.

Hmmm. :scared: I'm not sure what the other site was, but I liked it.

Sounds exciting! Being that the city owns most of the Renaissance land, that should make it that much easier to get something going on that site sooner rather than later. The specific emphasis on luring the middle class downtown is laudable.

Is wayfinding signage included in the master plan? If not it should be.

I got a sneak peak at the new Downtown Code from the new Master Plan Spartanburg has been working on for the last year or so and I was really disapointed with some of the "new code". My biggest disapointment was that the tallest buildings downtown can only be 8 stories unless the builder pays big penalties for more floors. I think they are restricting too many elements that will deter a developer from building here. I hope all this changes before the final draft is approved by City Council.

Archived