Downtown Master Plan & Urban Code

cryba

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I passed through town a little over a week ago and checked out these signs. I have to admit that I didn't really care for them. As soon as I saw these the first thing that came to mind was the mess of "funky" (and I use that term loosely here) signs you will see when navigating through Disney and Universal. Definitely got an amusement park vibe from these. That look definitely fits in those tourist traps, but not in a downtown like Spartanburg. I think it is great that the city is finally putting these up, but there is a mismatch of styles here. They could have went with a more distinguished look and still kept it fun and vibrant.

I passed through town a little over a week ago and checked out these signs. I have to admit that I didn't really care for them. As soon as I saw these the first thing that came to mind was the mess of "funky" (and I use that term loosely here) signs you will see when navigating through Disney and Universal. Definitely got an amusement park vibe from these. That look definitely fits in those tourist traps, but not in a downtown like Spartanburg. I think it is great that the city is finally putting these up, but there is a mismatch of styles here. They could have went with a more distinguished look and still kept it fun and vibrant.

I tend to agree. I'm also not really a fan of the color scheme.

A design similar to this would have been a little better IMO:

ValpoWayfindingSignage003.jpg

I see what you guys are saying, but there is a reason that Disney/Universal uses these types of design... they work. You know that the parks have done a ton of research of this type of this thing so a little bit of imitaion in this case isn't that bad.

One thing...I've usually identified Spartanburg with green/knaki colors, but then they put out the red/black signs. Doesn't seem to be any connection to the city.

Archived