Tuba Christmas GR

Veloise

There's this seasonal (did you guess?) event called Tuba Christmas. Eponymous website. Like a Messiah sing-a-long except you need to play a "heavy metal" instrument to participate. I've done this since 1985, and have been known to drive for two hours to play at an event. I used to coordinate the one in Detroit, but then life got in the way.

Moved here summer two years ago. Couldn't tie it up on 04, got closer in '05. But this year! I contacted several likely prospects at GVSU and GRCC, and suddenly we have a couple different possible venues and scenarios. (A couple of us would prefer the DT St Cece's location over the Beltline Big Bux Gardens site.)

Further details pending, but it's looking like it will be part of a GRCC collage concert on Dec 17. (Collage concerts are comprised of several different ensembles each playing for a short time. If you don't like the symponic band, wait 5 minutes.)

Pretty soon the Calder will be decorated with sousaphones and euphoniums. (Hey, I did it to the Spirit of Detroit. Virtually.)

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's this seasonal (did you guess?) event called Tuba Christmas. Eponymous website. Like a Messiah sing-a-long except you need to play a "heavy metal" instrument to participate. I've done this since 1985, and have been known to drive for two hours to play at an event. I used to coordinate the one in Detroit, but then life got in the way.

Moved here summer two years ago. Couldn't tie it up on 04, got closer in '05. But this year! I contacted several likely prospects at GVSU and GRCC, and suddenly we have a couple different possible venues and scenarios. (A couple of us would prefer the DT St Cece's location over the Beltline Big Bux Gardens site.)

Further details pending, but it's looking like it will be part of a GRCC collage concert on Dec 17. (Collage concerts are comprised of several different ensembles each playing for a short time. If you don't like the symponic band, wait 5 minutes.)

Pretty soon the Calder will be decorated with sousaphones and euphoniums. (Hey, I did it to the Spirit of Detroit. Virtually.)

Do you play the tuba? How cool is that?!

I remember as a kid, if I begged my dad hard enough, he would play me "Tubby the Tuba" on his turntable. It was a really cool story.

Do you play the tuba? How cool is that?!

I remember as a kid, if I begged my dad hard enough, he would play me "Tubby the Tuba" on his turntable. It was a really cool story.

Baritone horn since 1973. Sousaphone since 2001.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kmssavage/tubaxmas.html

I'm in the left front row in the picture, red jacket (this was on my 30th birthday).

Baritones are the ones doing the cool descant in the trio of "Bridge on the River Kwai" and we get to stand up with the other brass during the grandioso of "Stars & Stripes Forever" and we got to drive the circa-1978 MSU fans wild with the "Faygo" theme song. And after college it's all over, because there are no euphoniums in symphonies or big bands. Unless you play Tuba Christmas...

Baritone horn since 1973. Sousaphone since 2001.

http://home.earthlink.net/~kmssavage/tubaxmas.html

I'm in the left front row in the picture, red jacket (this was on my 30th birthday).

Baritones are the ones doing the cool descant in the trio of "Bridge on the River Kwai" and we get to stand up with the other brass during the grandioso of "Stars & Stripes Forever" and we got to drive the circa-1978 MSU fans wild with the "Faygo" theme song. And after college it's all over, because there are no euphoniums in symphonies or big bands. Unless you play Tuba Christmas...

You ROCK, sistah!

I used to play trombone in the middle school band. Playing at night at a football game alongside the highschool band in 45 degree rainy weather and a resultant case of pneumonia put a stop to that in a big hurry. Glad that was so long ago.

This will be indoors.

A few years ago I did A2's outdoor event. Temp was about 20, all the horns froze, we cut the program way short. Segue to Detroit's, outdoors on a stage and at least 15 degrees warmer.

I like the indoor gigs for December.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On Sunday I handed my camera to one kid's dad, and he shot video of us rehearsing our showpiece number. It's up on the aforementioned website, check it out!

33+ players, everyone in red sweaters and Xmas PJ pants, horn decorations, great sound. We'll do it again next year!

On Sunday I handed my camera to one kid's dad, and he shot video of us rehearsing our showpiece number. It's up on the aforementioned website, check it out!

33+ players, everyone in red sweaters and Xmas PJ pants, horn decorations, great sound. We'll do it again next year!

Archived