Providence, "The Renaissance City"

abdiorio

According to an advertisement in the Providence Business News, it seems as if the new tag line is:

Three Billion Dollars in New Investment Underway

Efficient, Transparent Government

21st Century Urban Livability

PROVIDENCE

"America's Most Up-and-Coming City"

Who agrees or disagrees with this new tagline? Is this the new tagline? I think it's a nice, new turn..

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's hard to quantify, but it's probably not factually accurate. I'd rather our slogan not be overly hyperbolic. "The Renaissance City" works fine by me still.

Like Cotuit said it may be a bit much, and as much as i like The Renaissance City. I think it is much easier to attract people to providence with the new slogan.

Like Cotuit said it may be a bit much, and as much as i like The Renaissance City. I think it is much easier to attract people to providence with the new slogan.

i don't think we should kill the renaissance city slogan until the renaissance is complete, which may not be for another 5-10 years.

Probably. "Renaissance City" might lead people to think we all speak with bad British accents and are always having jousting tournaments....

Urb

It's hard to quantify, but it's probably not factually accurate. I'd rather our slogan not be overly hyperbolic. "The Renaissance City" works fine by me still.

I agree.

It is hard to quantify and somewhat corny..."up and coming"- it is one of America's oldest cities!

"The Renaissance City" is recognized, classy, and as someone else pointed out, will not be complete for perhaps 5 years (at least).

I like the self-assurance in the tag, "The Renaissance City."

I'll stay away from the label, "Up and Coming," thanks. Reminds me of Hartford's slogan, "The Rising Star." As if we're in the process of getting there, but we recognize that we're not quite there yet. Screw that. Why advertise our shortcomings? If we act like we're already on the big stage, we'll be treated like we're on the big stage. Let's not sell ourselves short.

I like the self-assurance in the tag, "The Renaissance City."

I'll stay away from the label, "Up and Coming," thanks. Reminds me of Hartford's slogan, "The Rising Star." As if we're in the process of getting there, but we recognize that we're not quite there yet. Screw that. Why advertise our shortcomings? If we act like we're already on the big stage, we'll be treated like we're on the big stage. Let's not sell ourselves short.

i personally don't like the term "up and coming" in reference to a whole city. either you're there or you're not. i'd venture to say taht we're there. there's certainly interest in providence from across the northeast, if not the country.

i personally don't like the term "up and coming" in reference to a whole city. either you're there or you're not. i'd venture to say taht we're there. there's certainly interest in providence from across the northeast, if not the country.

I think we all agree, but I still feel like by having a slogan up and coming. it in a sense assures people of providence as a fade that needs to be seen, and this helps it. I also think we all agree providence isnt up and coming fade providence is a great city, but to the outsider it can attract people.

I think the "Up-and-Coming" tag would would fine for advertising to the business community, which is always looking for the next big opportunity, but would not work for tourism. From the sound of things, this tagline is targeted at the economic community appropriately.

I've never been the biggest fan of the "Renaissance City" slogan because, in modern usage, the term Renaissance is a bit squishy and it brings to mind something vaguely European, while Providence is actually a bedrock of Americana in so many ways. I must nevertheless say it's worked beautifully for the city, is truthful in many regards, and I think it's important for the city to "stay on message," which is so critical in advertising.

I think someone in the RI section or another forum posted Marketing Week's list of the best city slogans somewhere, and they were great. I'll try to find it.

While Hartford's "We Swear it's Fun!" is probably the weakest I've heard, close behind was a town in Minnesota which had the slogan, "Getting Better Bit by Bit Every Day!" The first thing that pops to mind, of course, is "Getter better? How was it before?"

- Garris

when i think renaissance city, i don't think the renaissance in europe, i think of the term "renaissance man', which generally means good at a lot of things, which is what providence is. it also brings to mind the arts, which were big during the renaissance and are also big in providence, probably the biggest tourist attraction to the city is the cultural stuff, like waterfire, all the artists and musicians, the architecture, etc. so in that sense, it is a renaissance city and that should remain the slogan until everything currently being worked on has come to completion... which as i said earlier will probably be another 5-10 years.

I like "The Renaissance City"

Renaissance means a rebirth which "refers to both a rediscovery of ancient classical texts and learning" (from wikipedia) so in that sense Prov. has been reborn (referring to its former glory days) and has rediscovered classical art (with the arts and artists being so prominent in our city).

"Up and Coming" sounds good for businesses - I agree Garris.

I like "The Renaissance City"

Renaissance means a rebirth which "refers to both a rediscovery of ancient classical texts and learning" (from wikipedia) so in that sense Prov. has been reborn (referring to its former glory days) and has rediscovered classical art (with the arts and artists being so prominent in our city).

"Up and Coming" sounds good for businesses - I agree Garris.

Archived