River Place Condominiums

richyb83

I went to lunch with a friend who is familiar with the market study I mentioned earlier. I was incorrect when I said 1000 units are desired downtown, its actually 1200 units.

I desire a crime free Baton Rouge. Doesn't mean it will happen though. I can wish it though.

If it were profitable then developers would be doing it. Over a span of 5-10 years? Sure. But anytime soon? No.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't personally seen the study, so I can not verify many of those questions but I think we already know the answers to many of them. I know they are trying to keep costs and rents low but they are at least starting at 1000, minimum, which isnt unreasonable when compared apartment developments on Corporate. Also, for example, Normal Chenvert's development on Main Street, is using HUD Financing. But that is because banks aren't willing to lend, even though there is demand, so developers are finding other sources to fund their developments.

Cool.

I'm very weary of HUD housing. Seems like the last thing you want in an area that you are trying to keep desirable.

$1000 a month is not going to work for RiverPlace....but it will for some other properties.

I desire a crime free Baton Rouge. Doesn't mean it will happen though. I can wish it though.

If it were profitable then developers would be doing it. Over a span of 5-10 years? Sure. But anytime soon? No.

Developers are doing it. The Elysian(under construction), Capitol Lofts(stalled due to the HPC), Riverplace, the place on Main(currently under construction). If the economy were in better shape we'd be seeing more activity and at a faster pace. Not to mention the developments occurring around downtown, that will offer the same amenities at a lower cost, River District, River Park, new development on North Blvd. I could go on, as I have in the past before, but I think you get the idea.

Developers are doing it. The Elysian(under construction), Capitol Lofts(stalled due to the HPC), Riverplace, the place on Main(currently under construction). If the economy were in better shape we'd be seeing more activity and at a faster pace. Not to mention the developments occurring around downtown, that will offer the same amenities at a lower cost, River District, River Park, new development on North Blvd. I could go on, as I have in the past before, but I think you get the idea.

Not really. In the past when the economy was good there wasn't a fast pace to build 1000 units downtown. But hey, whatever makes you feel better. I could (and have) gone on and on why there isn't and won't anytime soon, but you get the idea.

Not really. In the past when the economy was good there wasn't a fast pace to build 1000 units downtown. But hey, whatever makes you feel better. I could (and have) gone on and on why there isn't and won't anytime soon, but you get the idea.

Ha! Ha! You mean when downtown was a place to be ashamed of? Or when downtown was alive back in the 50s?

But hey, whatever makes you feel better. I could (and have) go on and on, about how wrong you are about half of the things you say or the hatred you have for downtown itself, but you get the idea. :console:

Ha! Ha! You mean when downtown was a place to be ashamed of? Or when downtown was alive back in the 50s?

But hey, whatever makes you feel better. I could (and have) go on and on, about how wrong you are about half of the things you say or the hatred you have for downtown itself, but you get the idea. :console:

looks like someones having a bad day.

Downtown was still recovering from the 1980s blight until about 5 years ago.

Actually, I would like to hear your ideas. It would make me feel better.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Some new renderings please :shades:

Traigle joins Preis as new partner in long-planned River Place project

Richard Preis has a new partner in his long-stalled, downtown real estate project, River Place. Local investor, businessman and community activist Joe Traigle acquired an ownership interest in the 1.6-acre Lafayette Street property earlier this summer. "Joe is a visionary, and he shares the same enthusiasm that I do for downtown," says Preis. Though he declines to discuss specifics of the deal or who initiated the partnership, Traigle says he is a 50-50 partner in the deal and that he and Preis "believe the future of downtown is very bright and want to bring a project to downtown that will be a positive addition to that future." Since acquiring the former Lafayette Hotel and tearing it down nearly eight years ago, Preis has been trying to put an upscale residential development on the site. But Hurricane Katrina drove up construction costs, then the real estate market crashed in 2008, and "credit markets were difficult," he says. Still, Preis is doggedly optimistic about the future of the project, noting that naysayers were skeptical about his odds of developing the Hampton Inn downtown, his latest project, which will open early next year across the street from the River Place property. "That's another deal they said would never get done," Preis says. "All it takes is time and money."

http://www.businessreport.com/article/20120828/BUSINESSREPORT0112/120829766/-1/daily-reportAM

• 4 weeks later...

While we wait....Here is a refresher.....for Baton Rouge's first proposed "Vertical Neighborhood"

River Place original 23-story proposal

1001378highrise72dpi.jpg

2nd proposal...two towers... 27 & 17-stories

280985ks9.jpg

The 3rd proposal...& Tallest at 36-floors...a few council-members wanted to know "why so tall"?

riverplace1.jpg

Then a 4th proposal...a little downsized; This was the last rendering I have seen...the 30-story Condotel

preishotel071108.jpg

Had to get this on Top of New page

While we wait....Here is a refresher.....for Baton Rouge's first proposed "Vertical Neighborhood"

1001378highrise72dpi.jpg

280985ks9.jpg

The 3rd proposal...& Tallest at 36-floors...a few council-members wanted to know "why so tall"?

riverplace1.jpg

Then a 4th proposal...a little downsized; This was the last rendering I have seen...the 30-story Condotel

preishotel071108.jpg

*Had to get this on Top of New Page :thumbsup:

1001378highrise72dpi.jpg

280985ks9.jpg

riverplace1.jpg

preishotel071108.jpg

What's your opinion on this design?? River Place would be a little sleeker(less boxy); more along the lines of a cell-phone....

While i do not expect whatever becomes of River Place to be 30+...36-floors rivaling the State Capitol in height...i would hope it would be at least 23-stories like the original....close to the height of One American Place. This project on this strip of land doesn't seem feasible if it's not going to be vertical....

This is a rendering of the Skyhouse Apartments going up in Orlando FL...a sleeker version of this would be nice!

skyhouseorlandorenderin.jpg

I actually like the final rendering actually. The third one is nice, but the balconies make it look too condo-ish. I mean that's what it is, but I expect a little more than a typical condo tower look when this will in fact be perhaps the city's tallest building.

I'd like it to be a more sleek design as well....but I can't imagine owning a condo on a higher floor and not have a fairly large balcony.

Archived