River Place Condominiums

richyb83

It was not the answer I wanted to hear, but back in July it (I) was promised at the Third Street Hospitality Center by "November" I would see the tower crane moving in. If nothing happens then... please feel free to throw an egg on my face :whistling: Don't get me wrong I was hoping Labor Day too, I forgot to ask them why still?? All the delays suck, but this will happen, just like Howell Place is happening now. Richard Preis is on a mission.

• Replies 384
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was not the answer I wanted to hear, but back in July it (I) was promised at the Third Street Hospitality Center by "November" I would see the tower crane moving in. If nothing happens then... please feel free to throw an egg on my face :whistling: Don't get me wrong I was hoping Labor Day too, I forgot to ask them why still?? All the delays suck, but this will happen, just like Howell Place is happening now. Richard Preis is on a mission.

I actually agree. I'm normally not a "Pollyanna" but I do know that Richard Preis is one of the best, if not the best developer in BR and Howell place has made a believer out of me. When he first announced that project, I didn't think there was any way it would ever happen, not in that part of town, but it did and it's growing slowly all the time.

I actually agree. I'm normally not a "Pollyanna" but I do know that Richard Preis is one of the best, if not the best developer in BR and Howell place has made a believer out of me. When he first announced that project, I didn't think there was any way it would ever happen, not in that part of town, but it did and it's growing slowly all the time.

patiently waiting...... LOL

• 2 weeks later...

patiently waiting...... LOL

Screw that.

We should petition Press to sell the land to someone who WILL develop the site instead of just talking about it.

At this point he can get his money back on his land purchase and then some and Baton Rouge can have something there. It's a win-win situation.

Crappy developers and squatters screw up cities.

I am sure that he will delay the project again next year, mention something about unreasonable prices and then push for a tax increment district or sell the land. That was probably his plan to begin with.

And if you think that Howell Place was that big of a deal, then you need to see what other cities are doing. Howell Place was already undeveloped with most of the infrastructure in place already...it's not like it's that big of a deal. All that was needed was for someone to put a road through it and divide it into parcels and then market it. I could have done that if I had the money.

Screw that.

We should petition Press to sell the land to someone who WILL develop the site instead of just talking about it.

At this point he can get his money back on his land purchase and then some and Baton Rouge can have something there. It's a win-win situation.

Crappy developers and squatters screw up cities.

I am sure that he will delay the project again next year, mention something about unreasonable prices and then push for a tax increment district or sell the land. That was probably his plan to begin with.

And if you think that Howell Place was that big of a deal, then you need to see what other cities are doing. Howell Place was already undeveloped with most of the infrastructure in place already...it's not like it's that big of a deal. All that was needed was for someone to put a road through it and divide it into parcels and then market it. I could have done that if I had the money.

Agreed. As much as I want to see this project happen, Preis is starting to look like a joke. But then again, Trump still hasn't broken ground in New Orleans either.

My concern with him selling the land to another development is that we take the chance of nothing getting a significant tower on that land. I know we are taking the chance with him as well, but at least with him we already have a plan. If you notice all the other developments downtown nothing is coming close to being that tall. The only new development close to that height is II City Plaza and that doesn't even get close. I think alot of developers are concerned about a massive project such as RiverPlace is because: 1. they aren't going to get funding for it and 2. BR doesn't have a market for it. I'll patiently wait for RiverPlace until the end of the year. If by then he still hasn't started it then I will see it as a dud project and will never happen.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any updates? We're getting dangerously close to "by November."

This was my post early last week in the BR Rises thread. Again I'll say it...BR Forumers "Lets make this a 'team-effort" please! Call the RiverPlace hospitality center with all of yall's questions. The phone # is on their website. Report back to Urban Planet with their response. Together we can get to the bottom of this. :ph34r: I notice the team work in other forums like NOLA, Orlando and Nashville when wanting to find out about the big projects that are stalling.

^

I called the Third Street hospitality center this(Monday) afternoon. The phone # is on the RiverPlace website; they said definetly "the begining" of the new year. Maybe that's debatable with the numerous delays time and time again since he did already tell me November(same prob w/ Trump Tower in NOLA?). If any of yall have disputes over this or think this project is a dud? Then please call for yourselves...this can be a "team" effort to get to the bottom of this! :thumbsup:

As long as the hospitality center is still open, there is hope. I will not give-up yet; The developer invested too much ca$h in this to turn back now.

This was my post early last week in the BR Rises thread. Again I'll say it...BR Forumers "Lets make this a 'team-effort" please! Call the RiverPlace hospitality center with all of yall's questions. The phone # is on their website. Report back to Urban Planet with their response. Together we can get to the bottom of this. :ph34r: I notice the team work in other forums like NOLA, Orlando and Nashville when wanting to find out about the big projects that are stalling.

What exactly do we ask them when we call? LOL. Do we just come out and say, "When are you people going to get started already?" lol

Here's the latest--Spring of 08'. Surprise, surprise, surprise.... :rolleyes:

"RiverPlace was proposed in 2001. Preis has pushed back construction several times, blaming the latest delays on ballooning costs for construction materials since Hurricane Katrina.

He said he now aims to break ground on RiverPlace in the spring.

He also acknowledged Wednesday that he has received several legitimate offers for the property but has refused them.

Perhaps a better question for Mr. Preis would be whether or not RiverPlace will proceed as it has been conjectured in the renderings? Good design need not be sacrificed to the god of height. In this sensitive location, hoping for good design is best.

Excellent article in BR Business Report on Riverplace condos and risk takers and how it's easy to sit on the sidelines and laugh at people who take a risk. That's exactly what's held this city back for so many years.

<H2 class=story-title>Saluting a risk-taker</H2>NewJRBall_t290.jpg By JR Ball (Contact)

Monday, November 5, 2007

It's not unusual to find the splendidly dressed Richard Preis having lunch at the City Club Grill. Typically, the man who's one of my favorite people in Baton Rouge can be found at the four-top in the far left corner of the room-just next to the large table that Judge John Parker and friends occupy every single day of the week.

I happened, in early August, to be at another table next to the always colorful Preis (French blue and orange were the colors of that day) and asked him when we might finally see construction begin on RiverPlace, his much-hyped, much-delayed, much-redesigned downtown condominium project. After a recap of the many challenges the development has encountered since it was first unveiled more than a half-decade ago, Preis boldly proclaimed, "You'll see steel coming out of the ground by November."

Well, it's now November and the site between Lafayette Street and River Road looks the same as it always has-a weed-filled concrete lot wrapped by a chain-link fence. Preis now says groundbreaking will be in the spring.

Another deadline, another six-month delay. And so it goes with RiverPlace, the high-rise that was supposed to be downtown's first new residential construction project in decades.

Now, it seems, One Eleven and The Brownstones, residential projects built by the Baton Rouge Area Foundation and Commercial Properties, will claim that honor.

It's guaranteed, someone somewhere today is laughing at Preis, cracking wise at his misfortune, thinking he should just shut up until the damn thing is built.

Why? Because that's how this status quo town treats risk-takers.

That's right. Richard Preis is a risk-taker-and rarely does it come easy in this town for those who dare to be first, those who are willing to try what others say is impossible.

So rather than smirk behind his back, we should have his back.

Keep these facts in mind: What Preis is proposing is unprecedented for a downtown still in the infancy of revitalization; soaring material and labor costs following hurricanes Katrina and Rita made pre-storm plans obsolete; financing on condo projects has gotten increasingly tight over the past 18 months; and even the ballyhooed Commercial Properties developments have been forced to change plans, abandoning a condo concept in favor of rental units.

Despite increasingly unfriendly market conditions, Preis remains committed to his vision-even if it takes years longer to realize. That's why he's rejected several lucrative offers to sell his prime property over the past 12 months.

RiverPlace is hardly his first eyebrow-raising development. People laughed just as hard when he announced Howell Place, a mixed-use development off Harding Boulevard. "Why build in that part of town?" went the whispers.

Some said he was crazy. Others, after being told they couldn't have a piece of the deal, worked behind the scenes to derail the project near Metro Airport. And others merely tried to shake him down, looking to profit simply because someone dared to build something bold in their rundown part of town.

And, in true Preis fashion, deals-especially hotels and big box retailers-were announced that never materialized. But guess what? A hotel is now open. A medical plaza is seeing patients. Restaurants are open for customers and numerous other buildings are under construction. It's taken more than a decade, but Howell Place is coming to life in a part of our city that's largely dying.

Yet we still love to make fun of the outgoing Preis.

We're doing the same thing to a risk-taker by the name of Tommy Spinosa. Instead of rallying around the man and his vision for a real lifestyle center (unlike Towne Center), people are taking delight in gossiping about rumors surrounding his Perkins Rowe development.

I don't doubt he's got problems, but, my god, have you seen Perkins Rowe? It's an incredible project, and it's better than any other retail or mixed-use development this town has ever seen.

So, go ahead, keep whispering about Preis and making fun of the talkative man and his bold vision.

As for me, I say thank you and good luck.

http://www.businessreport.com/news/2007/no...ing-risk-taker/

See that??? I was told November too; just like he told JR. He writes some good stories, thanks for posting that drew :thumbsup:

The fact he has been rejecting lucrative offers to sell the property should tell you something right there. And I am glad of it too. He wants to build a vertical neighborhood 30-stories(26 residential; 4 parking); I bet none of those offers from the others would build something maybe "half" that tall.

This has been very frustrating waiting all this time for sure; but I would rather wait and have something nice like this landmark tower that's sure to transform the skyline rather than some more easier to pull off 12 story buildings. I realize height isn't everything, but in the intstance it is. And Manhattan Construction Co. is supposed to be doing the project; so it will be top class nice. They are currently working on the new $ 1 Billion Dallas Cowboy Stadium in Arlington. :shades:

The old Advocate block will look good with the two new 10 to 12 story buildings. The design is bound to be cutting edge; unlike most of downtown BR.

See that??? I was told November too; just like he told JR. He writes some good stories, thanks for posting that drew :thumbsup:

The fact he has been rejecting lucrative offers to sell the property should tell you something right there. And I am glad of it too. He wants to build a vertical neighborhood 30-stories(26 residential; 4 parking); I bet none of those offers from the others would build something maybe "half" that tall.

This has been very frustrating waiting all this time for sure; but I would rather wait and have something nice like this landmark tower that's sure to transform the skyline rather than some more easier to pull off 12 story buildings. I realize height isn't everything, but in the intstance it is. And Manhattan Construction Co. is supposed to be doing the project; so it will be top class nice. They are currently working on the new $ 1 Billion Dallas Cowboy Stadium in Arlington. :shades:

The old Advocate block will look good with the two new 10 to 12 story buildings. The design is bound to be cutting edge; unlike most of downtown BR.

Do you think 'if' it gets built it will still be a tower 30 stories? I mean anything is good, but what are the chances of two 10 story towers going up instead? that would be .... well... no words

Do you think 'if' it gets built it will still be a tower 30 stories? I mean anything is good, but what are the chances of two 10 story towers going up instead? that would be .... well... no words

I would certainly hope so. The original plan "One RiverPlace" was to be 23-stories; then that changed to "two" towers of 27 & 17-stories called Lafayette Heights ; then changed again to the renderings everyone sees at 36-stories. Of course the shear height shocked some locals asking "why so tall"?? Answer: creating residential density downtown and small size tract of land.

Of course the latest was 30-stories; knocked down some because of rapidly rising construction co$t with such high demand all across the Gulf South w/ the hurricanes.

I would be disapointed with anthing less than 23-stories since that was the "original" plan. Being the visionary Pries is he reached for the sky going for 36 in wanting to create a landmark residential tower. 30-stories would be excellent; I refuse to give up!

I definetly don't see it being taller than the State Capitol(450'ft.); but I would hope it would replace One American Place(310'ft.) as BR's 2nd Tallest!

A planned new hotel tower was just announced in NOLA at 26-stories; but only at 259'ft. I think it's more common usually for hotels ; but not office buildings. Condo's vary...ex. One American Place 24-stories/310'ft......who knows??

Sure wish the Fidelity Bank Tower would been built in the late 80's.

Archived