Mellow Mushroom restaurant to open in downtown Greensboro

cityboi

The News & Record reported that the Atlanta based restaurant chain is looking at five sites in downtown Greensboro for a restaurant. The restaurant will be between 6,000 and 7,000 sqaure feet making it the largest in downtown Greensboro. Recently a Mellow Mushroom opened on 4th Street in downtown Winston-Salem.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...C0101/610140302

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mellow Mushroom isn't a national chain of the likes of Domino or Pizza Hut. Many of their restaurants tend to be unique one of a kind places that are designed to fit the character of the neighborhood they are located in. Two closeby examples of this is the one in downtown Asheville and the other located in Noda in Charlotte. And they tend to have pretty good pizza IMO, far far better than any of the better known chains, and actually better than a lot of local places that tend to cut corners on their ovens and the ingredients they use to make pizza.

I've never met anyone who didn't like going there except their prices tend to be on the high side for pizza.

It will be a nice addition to the Greensboro area.

I will definatly have to try their pizza when they open. I imagine they would likely build the restaurant from scratch as oppose to using an existing building because the owner is looking for space between 6,000 and 7,000 square feet. But then again Mellow Mushroom could become the restaurant tenant for Center Pointe, the renovated 17-story wachovia building that will become condos and offices. The plan for the building is to have a restaurant taking up the entire first floor. The old Wachoivia building is right across the street from the center-city park that is now under construction. But I guess it depends on timing. If the owner wants to open Mellow Mushroom soon than Center Pointe is out of the question because it will be a couple of year before thats complete. but if they are willing to wait, it could be the likely site.

Center Pointe (could Mellow Mushroom be located on the first floor of this building? im not sure what the sqaure footage is on the entire first floor but it caould take up two floors if need be.)

centerpointe2.jpg

centerpointe4.jpg

centerpointe5.jpg

centerpointe7.jpg

I think it will make a nice addition to downtown Greensboro. Mellow tends to be a good neighbor as well. The one they built in downtown Augusta awhile back was converted from an old gas station from the 30s. Very cool and unique place. Good pizza too, though it is kinda expensive.

• 11 months later...

Archived