Wilmington Street needs Revamp

JTsaysToYou

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Salisbury is such a hole. However the good camera vantages got me thinking that some highrises might be its only cure. 50 stories just west the Sir Walter between Wake County and the CC might work...the topo would allow for a good size parking deck under this site too. The economics of making the "bells" relocate from their Morgan/Hargett spot might take 40-50 stories as well. Salisbury reminds me though of what we do not want Raleigh to become.

No, Its not. As stated in the name, it is about whether or not wilmington st. needs a revamp. K?

And as for me needing to "MAN UP"

I'm in 9th grade, okay? I'm sorry if I feel a little intimidated walking around alone by some crazy looking guy whos 6' 2" :)

IMO, the LAST thing we need is the city of Raleigh trying to drive growth. In ten years, when we still have no decent public transportation, they'll be ready to close off Fayetville St again to "encourage growth". Only if Progress Energy decides they want it that way though.

The area is full of sterile, boring development. Building another couple yuppie-lofts or putting in a new Starbucks downtown isn't going to make you be any safer.

I'd really like to see some incentives for local-oriented, NC, mom and pop, unique-to-the-area, or otherwise non-chain, non-national businesses (retail and restaurant) for storefront locations along Wilmington (and Salisbury) streets. Maybe similar incenitives for branch offices of area companies to locate on upper floors of those businesses. Also, it'd be nice to have a facade enhancement project and/or a streetscape improvement project along the street itself. I think some of those older buildings alogn Wilm Street could really "pop" if their facades where enhanced.

There aren't "hordes" of sketchy people downtown.. they are usually solo, or at most in groups of two. From a half block away (or maybe even closer) I probably fall in the "sketchy" group -- I usually dress down, carry little or no cash, talk to myself, and walk very erratically while checking out what's going on.

The "feel safer by the bus station" concept is what *could* be right with downtown but is not currently. The more eyes on the street, the less likely someone is to ask for spare change, let attempt to rob, assault, or worse. Other than Rivera and Slims, there is *no* reason to be on Wilmington Street after 5 except to get to the parking decks. Salisbury is worse, and is exactly what *not* to do downtown. Fayetville Street was like this, but is slowly pulling out of this funk. It feel "safer" than when the pedestrian mall was there because you can see for blocks in each direction, and the F Street after 5 pedestrian is not alone anymore.

Housing goes a long way to adding eyes on the street because someone could be heard, even if they aren't seen. With smaller apartments/condos, urban residents tend to go out more, to a coffe shop, bar, store, etc. This puts more eyes on the street *and* attracts retail to serve these customers. They have to be within walking distance, however, which is where density becomes important. If all residential development stays in the 3-5 story range, there isn't enough density to be self-sustaining. And units closer to the core become even more expensive due to their rarity. Also, if it is only high end units that are empty several weeks a year (the Hudson), having a lot of money in itself won't spawn a vibrant community.

Archived