Holiday community meals

Veloise

For those of you who have living relatives and places to go, skip this thread.

One year in Detroit, I stumbled across a mention of a Christmas Day dinner held at a Catholic Church in Garden City. Edit: St Dunstan's.

Free. Cooked and served by members of the congregation. Went a couple of times, and played fiddle for them. Several hundred "holiday orphans," many seniors who would otherwise be alone, fellowship, carol singing led by a priest who should hang up the collar and get into stand-up comedy...it was about the best holiday day I ever had.

Another year a friend and I were driving to Florida. We saw signs at an exit for a community dinner, but regrettably it was closing down as we arrived. Same type of deal.

Looking for the same sort of thing here. Need one for Thanksgiving, and one for Christmas. And I know I'm not the only person in the world who would appreciate this info.

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those of you who have living relatives and places to go, skip this thread.

One year in Detroit, I stumbled across a mention of a Christmas Day dinner held at a Catholic Church in Garden City. Edit: St Dunstan's.

Free. Cooked and served by members of the congregation. Went a couple of times, and played fiddle for them. Several hundred "holiday orphans," many seniors who would otherwise be alone, fellowship, carol singing led by a priest who should hang up the collar and get into stand-up comedy...it was about the best holiday day I ever had.

Another year a friend and I were driving to Florida. We saw signs at an exit for a community dinner, but regrettably it was closing down as we arrived. Same type of deal.

Looking for the same sort of thing here. Need one for Thanksgiving, and one for Christmas. And I know I'm not the only person in the world who would appreciate this info.

Archived