Pierre Bossier Mall....when will it just die already?

dingo

Had the pleasure of going to this mall the other day. What a joke. Its got the stench of death all over it. Im suprised the chain stores didnt move into the Boardwalk. Im sure they wish they did now. I cant see the mall surviving another year.

So what kind of a horrific eyesore is this going to create on Airline Dr when the mall goes out of business....and it will.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had the pleasure of going to this mall the other day. What a joke. Its got the stench of death all over it. Im suprised the chain stores didnt move into the Boardwalk. Im sure they wish they did now. I cant see the mall surviving another year.

So what kind of a horrific eyesore is this going to create on Airline Dr when the mall goes out of business....and it will.

I've been wondering the same thing lately: when will it just die!?!? :lol: I hate that mall, and it's starting to become what South Park had become. Give it a little while longer.

Wow what a shame. But it seems like every city has a dead/dying mall.

Certainly. Unfortunately we've already lost one good one and have Pierre Bossier which could die at any minute, and St. Vincent which is getting bad again.

The only decent "malls" we have anymore are Pierremont, which is TINY - and Boardwalk, which has strict rules and is AWESOME.

There are 2 big nails in the coffin of Pierre Bossier Mall.

The Boardwalk, which enforces a dresscode to keep the thugs out and it has some good shops and great food.

And.

The massive development at Airline @ I-220.

The day of the large enclosed mall is at an end and once PBM goes the way of the dinosaur the last remaining mall (MSV) will linger for about 4-8 years but it too will close down. The rich folks in that neighborhood will find it harder to keep a mall of that size still open, it's easier to do it with Pierremont Mall.

You are right, though, the smell of death is all over that corridor of Airline.

The mall is dying and the shopping center next to it looks like crap as well.

The little Regal theater is on life support and should be put down.

In a related note.

I thought it was a bold move on the massive Airline @ I-220 project to say Kohl's was coming and they quickly denounced it. Then the developers changed the site plan to show a large theater coming to town (looked like a Tinseltown). Then Kohl's saw that they were so easily replaced and jumped back into the fray before they lost out on the lucrative spot they originally had but lost. At least they still got back in before the nailed down someone larger like Macy's.

Mudbugger

There are 2 big nails in the coffin of Pierre Bossier Mall.

The Boardwalk, which enforces a dresscode to keep the thugs out and it has some good shops and great food.

And.

The massive development at Airline @ I-220.

The day of the large enclosed mall is at an end and once PBM goes the way of the dinosaur the last remaining mall (MSV) will linger for about 4-8 years but it too will close down. The rich folks in that neighborhood will find it harder to keep a mall of that size still open, it's easier to do it with Pierremont Mall.

You are right, though, the smell of death is all over that corridor of Airline.

The mall is dying and the shopping center next to it looks like crap as well.

The little Regal theater is on life support and should be put down.

In a related note.

I thought it was a bold move on the massive Airline @ I-220 project to say Kohl's was coming and they quickly denounced it. Then the developers changed the site plan to show a large theater coming to town (looked like a Tinseltown). Then Kohl's saw that they were so easily replaced and jumped back into the fray before they lost out on the lucrative spot they originally had but lost. At least they still got back in before the nailed down someone larger like Macy's.

Mudbugger

I would have gone for Macy's. I kind of thought all along that the theater was just thrown in there to fill the space temporarily, until they could find a department store to throw into the mix... whether that be Kohl's, Macy's, or someone else.

The Bossier Corners shopping center has always disappointed me. Sure, when it was remodeled, it was kind of an Eastgate-type situation. The only stores in there were all in bad shape (Eckerd looked like death warmed over for example,) nothing would stay in the old TG&Y location, and Safeway had closed down leaving an empty space on the south end of the center. So a developer came in and completely re-did it. It was very nice at first, bringing what was at the time the first Old Navy in this market, Books A Million, Blockbuster, a remodeled Eckerd, Office Depot, and Chuck E Cheese. But this center quickly started looking bad... it's just not taken care of, and Blockbuster has always looked pretty rough. You'd think a chain that big would be a little more concerned about its image, but I suppose not.

The only things near that intersection that make it seem like it's going anywhere are the new Starbucks and the new CVS that's under construction. I really hope a huge shift doesn't occur, because I'd hate for that entire intersection to be abandoned for the newer, larger, MUCH nicer development less than 2 miles down the street. But such is the retail business, I suppose. That kind of thing is a daily occurrence in cities all across the country, including Shreveport. Businesses have closed on Bert Kouns, between Millicent and Youree Drive, only to either move to, or be replaced by, businesses on Youree Drive between 70th and Bert Kouns.

An addendum to my last statement in this thread...

The Bossier Corners center brought this area its first Old Navy store more than a decade ago. Two of the other tenants in this center are also Office Depot and Books A Million.

Two stores planned for the Airline/220 development are Old Navy and Office Depot. Books A Million was originally listed as a possible tenant (though it's not shown on the site plan.)

Could this officially spell the end of Bossier Corners? I suppose we'll see.

Another observation I made is that there will also now be a Kmart, Wal-Mart, and Target within a 2-mile stretch of Airline Drive. Very interesting. I remember when, aside from Pierre Bossier Mall, K-Mart was pretty much the only retailer in that area once TG&Y closed and then McCrory's, which took TG&Y's place, closed.

Yeah, there's the McAlister's, the W-K Bossier expansion, a TaMolly's Mexican Restaurant (a Texarkana-based chain,) and a Starbucks. So far that is all I know of. I believe the footprint of TaMolly's is probably what you're thinking is a gas station. I don't believe there will be any gas stations built north of I-220 in that area.

interesting to hear about starbucks. Two on airline dr? Thats odd. Is there really that much of a demand for starbucks in bossier to warrant 2 stores on airline less than 3 miles apart?

As for the land, now all thats left for that patch of land is on the other side of Doctors dr where it connects to Benton Rd. Eventually someone is going to come around and buy that driving range.

My wife just went to Pierre Bossier Mall a little while ago... she said it seems relaly creepy in the parking lot at night, which is something she's NEVER said in the past. For her to feel that way is a really bad sign about the future of that mall.

RIP Pierre Bossier Mall... I had a great time there as a teenager and even as a single guy in my tweens. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I know that our 2 mall are dying. I also understand why. I do not want this to happen. I fear what kind of effect it could have on their surroundings, especially Bossier. St Vincent Mall does not exactly have desirable surroundings. I think they still have some good stores we need. Instead of watching them die, I propose that we begin to petition General Growth Properties demanding they clean the properties up and enforce a code of conduct as the Boardwalk does. Let's save these malls from the thugs. We do not have to take this again. I do not want to see 2 more "South Park Malls." Here is a link to email General Growth Properties and make sure to mention both properties. Thanks.

http://www.ggp.com/contact.asp

Here is my email I sent them.

I, along with many citizens of Shreveport and Bossier City are very concerned with the demise of two of your properties in our area. These two properties are Pierre Bossier Mall in Bossier City and St Vincent Mall in Shreveport. These malls are being overrun with thugs. They are there with others of their kind hanging out, not spending any money and running off paying customers. Many of us have stopped going to these properties completely because of these thugs. We have taken our money to The Louisiana Boardwalk because it is safe. Why is it safe you may ask? It is because they have a code of conduct and they enforce it. I write this letter requesting that your company instate a code of conduct also for these properties. It works; I have seen that it does. I do not want to see these properties close. I, along with many others, will return if something is done. I shutter to think what will happen if nothing is done. There is precedent in our area for a mall that lets thugs take over. It was called South Park Mall in Shreveport. When it folded it took an entire community with it. Many large businesses relocated and 30,000 residents have watched as their neighborhoods have met a similar fate. I plead with you to not let this happen again. Please step in and stop this. Enforce a code of conduct. It will anger some, but in the end it will ensure your properties survival and probably save your company millions. I am not alone in my stance. Please hear us and stop this.

Sincerely,

Casey *******

Here is my email I sent them.

I, along with many citizens of Shreveport and Bossier City are very concerned with the demise of two of your properties in our area. These two properties are Pierre Bossier Mall in Bossier City and St Vincent Mall in Shreveport. These malls are being overrun with thugs. They are there with others of their kind hanging out, not spending any money and running off paying customers. Many of us have stopped going to these properties completely because of these thugs. We have taken our money to The Louisiana Boardwalk because it is safe. Why is it safe you may ask? It is because they have a code of conduct and they enforce it. I write this letter requesting that your company instate a code of conduct also for these properties. It works; I have seen that it does. I do not want to see these properties close. I, along with many others, will return if something is done. I shutter to think what will happen if nothing is done. There is precedent in our area for a mall that lets thugs take over. It was called South Park Mall in Shreveport. When it folded it took an entire community with it. Many large businesses relocated and 30,000 residents have watched as their neighborhoods have met a similar fate. I plead with you to not let this happen again. Please step in and stop this. Enforce a code of conduct. It will anger some, but in the end it will ensure your properties survival and probably save your company millions. I am not alone in my stance. Please hear us and stop this.

Sincerely,

Casey *******

Good idea, Casey. Man, you're a go-getter, and I like that. Yours is just the kind of attitude that I believe Urban Planet is all about.

I always loved Pierre Bossier Mall growing up. I hung out there all the time, and you probably hung out there some. Most teenagers in the area did. It's a shame to see it get this way, but it truly IS just a matter of time. The worst part is, like you said, the area around the mall will suffer. The loss of several businesses surrounding the mall is already imminent, as the new North Airline Drive center had begun siphoning these businesses away before the first piece of dirt had been turned.

I'm so tired tonight I'm not even thinking straight, but I will try to follow that link tomorrow and do the same. We really, TRULY do need to stand up for what we have and keep it safe and successful. Aside from the Boardwalk, we have two other malls with enormous potential. But that potential was reached years ago and it's all been downhill ever since. :(

Consider it done. All we can do is try. I hate the thought that I've LITERALLY grown to hate that mall over the past few years. I absolutely can't stand to go there anymore and that's a shame. My wife doesn't even feel safe there anymore, but people used to always feel safe there. What a shame.

You know as kids we hung out there, the problem is that kids that hang out there now are either dangerous or disrespectful or both. I was never that way. I was never threating to anyone. Now if I go there it is to a large store, either JCPenny's or Dillard's and I'm out. I never go into the mall. It is sad to say. My mom even thought she was going to get mugged at St Vincent once and went back into the mall.

When I go in there, it's the same thing... either JC Penney, Dillard's, or Sears. But I will also stop in there specifically to pick up food from that Chinese eatery inside. Man, that place is awesome!

And you're right about the differences in the kids who hang there now and when you and I were teens (you said you're 27, didn't you?) I mean, my friends and I were mischevious... one of my friends got busted for stealing, but I've never stolen anything in my life. We got kicked out once for having our feet in the fountain. We were being kids, not hardcore street thugs! Man how things change.

Yes, I am 27. What Chinese place are you referring to? That's how much I go in there.

Another thing is that when I was a kid, my parents did just drop me off there. My parents were active with me. They knew who I was with. I am guessing this is another problem. These thugs and soon be thugs do not or never had active parents.

Okay I thought you'd said that. I'm 26, so you and I were probably hanging out there at the same time. :lol:

It's called Chinese Gourmet Express and it's been in there for years... even back during high school. It's right there in the food court. And it's still owned by the same people who have had it for all these years!

Archived