SC finally gets on board with tatoo parlors

Spartan

Even though I generally dislike tattoos, I still support people's right to have them if they want them. The General Assembly finally passed this bill that makes tattooing legal in SC. Now SC won't loose so much money to NC's and GA's tattoo parlors. If my memory serves correctly, this now makes Oklahoma the only state to have laws against tatooing.

-------------------------------------------------

House puts its mark on tattoo bill

By ROBERT W. DALTON | Staff Writer - Spartanburg Herald-Journal

COLUMBIA -- One place you'll never find state Rep. Mike Anthony is in a tattoo parlor.

The Union Democrat is afraid of needles.

But Anthony's fear didn't keep him from joining 77 of his counterparts in the House on Wednesday in approving on second reading a bill legalizing tattooing.

Anthony said he voted in favor of the bill because it permits the state to regulate tattoo parlors and artists.

"At least now we won't have people doing it in back alleys," Anthony said.

The proposal requires tattoo parlors to meet Department of Health and Environmental Control guidelines for sanitation and safety. In addition, all tattoo artists must pass courses in bloodborne pathogen and tattoo infection control, as well as earn an American Red Cross first aid certificate and a CPR certificate from the Red Cross or American Heart Association.

The House tacked on an amendment requiring individuals to be 21 before they can get a tattoo, and another allowing 18- to 20-year-olds to get one with parental consent.

The House also gave municipalities and counties the authority to regulate where tattoo parlors can locate.

House Minority Leader James Smith, D-Columbia, urged representatives not to raise the age requirement from 18 to 21.

"I don't have the arrogance to tell 18-, 19- and 20-year-olds who are going to fight and die for their country that they can't get a tattoo," Smith said.

Amendments levying a $20 fee on each tattoo and placing a 5 percent tax on each tattoo were defeated.

Rep. John Graham Altman, R-Charleston, lobbied against the bill. He called tattooing a "young person's vice."

"If you have a college in your

town, look out, because tattoo parlors and body piercing shops are going to pop up," Altman said. "I'm sure no one has ever said let's go down to the Social Security office and then get our first tattoo on the way home."

Rep. Ralph Davenport, R-Boiling Springs, said he voted against the bill after talking with parents in his district.

"They felt like it was something that is not desirable," Davenport said. "It's a fad, and once the fad wears off a lot of people regret having a tattoo."

Third reading, a formality, is scheduled for today. The bill then goes back to the Senate, which passed it in January, to see if members concur with the changes added in the House. Then it's on to Gov. Mark Sanford's desk.

Sen. John Hawkins, R-Spartanburg, said he didn't see the Senate having a problem with the House's changes.

"I think it's a good idea to have some extra safeguards built in to ensure safety for people who are 18 to 21," Hawkins said.

-----------------End Article-------------------------

PS: John Hawkins is a sleezbag.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They haven't yet. Right now minibottles are required. I have heard that they are considering the minibottle law. There are so many problems with mini-bottles.... mainly they cant lower the blood-alcohol level past .1 because that is what one mini-bottle puts in there, and that leads to all kinda of consequences.

Also, most of the state has "Blue Laws" that prohibit the selling of alcohol on Sundays, and prohibits most businesses (except essential things like grocery stores and gas stations, from being open on Sunday mornings.

The state passed a a biill that allows local governments to decide whether they want the Blue Laws or not. Spartanburg and Greenville cities are among those that have removed them. Columbia has yet to do that.

You gotta love my crazy, backwards state :)

• 2 years later...

When tattoos go out of fashion (which is sure to happen) a lot of people are going to feel very foolish indeed. Can't wait to see all those 55 year old tattoed women in the swimming pools of Myrtle Beach...they're going to look horrible.

Dear god! I didn't know SC outlawed tattoos.

I don't have any tattoos nor do I plan on getting one (I can't even decide what to eat for dinner, let alone permanent skin art). I have no problems with them, to each it's own, but I think having to be 21 to get one is ridiculous. 18 should be the legal age for everything.

My wife has a tattoo & will be planning on getting one in the next few months. I see tattoos similar as I see car bumper stickers - they are an extension of your personality & beliefs, only if you really give a...

But I have ideas for my own tattoos, but as I suggested - I don't think I really care enough to pay money for my ideas to be scarred to my body.

To me, people who deface their body with garish tattoos (especially pretty females) are fools, and fools with embarrasingly poor taste. Your absurd (and somewhat incomprehensible) analogy of King Tut's tattoos as proof of their inherent timelessness has no relevence to modern cultural fashion trends. By outlawing tattoos, the state was actually performing a great service to many people: protecting them from their own stupidity. Cheers.

Tattooing dates back to ancient times :whistling: ....if king tut "had" said it, clearly he "would still" be waiting :huh: ...i predict you will be waiting centuries too! :rofl:

Archived