Baton Rouge's Companies

brresident

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^Wow, I had no idea Smoothie King was HQ'd in Covington. It was founded in Kenner, so I figured they had either kept the HQ's there or moved out of the area completely. Glad to see they stayed in the New Orleans metro area! :thumbsup:

^Wow, I had no idea Smoothie King was HQ'd in Covington. It was founded in Kenner, so I figured they had either kept the HQ's there or moved out of the area completely. Glad to see they stayed in the New Orleans metro area! :thumbsup:

Wow, am I the only person here who knew this!? I don't even know HOW I knew this but I found out many years ago... probably back when I was on my Smoothie King kick when I was running everyday. Man I miss those days... I want a farking smoothie! Gonna have to go have one when our friends get in from Texarkana later. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I ate at a Canes in Columbus last week, but it wasn't as good as the one on Highland Road or the one on Lee Drive in Baton Rouge. In any case, I didn't even know that Cane's existed north of I-20 until I saw it. It was busy as hell.

They hired one of my friends from LSU (accounting majors) to work in Baton Rouge....very decent starting salary.

I ate at a Canes in Columbus last week, but it wasn't as good as the one on Highland Road or the one on Lee Drive in Baton Rouge. In any case, I didn't even know that Cane's existed north of I-20 until I saw it. It was busy as hell.

They hired one of my friends from LSU (accounting majors) to work in Baton Rouge....very decent starting salary.

They have stores as far west as Las Vegas and North all the way to Minne-snow-da.

• 2 weeks later...

This place sounds pretty cool! This has already opened(older article back in January)

New Movie-Related Business to Open Downtown

New movie-related business to open downtown LA Pro Space, which will provide short-term office space to movie, entertainment and sports companies working in Baton Rouge, will open next month in the Cyntreniks Plaza(former Dean Plaza) on North Boulevard. Sandra McDougall, who will operate LA Pro Space with her husband, John, says there will initially be 12 to 14 offices on the second floor of the building, with access to office equipment, HD screening rooms and editing suites. Space will be available for lease for as short as one day or as much as six months. This is the first office space set aside for the movie business, which pumped $85 million into the local economy last year. McDougall says she's talking about a second phase for LA Pro Space, moving into the Kress at Third and Main building, set to open in September. --Timothy Boone- Baton Rouge Business Report

Looks like Celtic and the other players in the movie business are getting busy.

Walking the Rouge carpet http://media.businessreport.com/media/img/...ene.vu_t290.jpg ON THE SET: The Mike Epps Comedy Project is the first major TV series for a national television network independently produced in Louisiana. Filming for the Comedy Central show is under way at Celtic Media Centre in Baton Rouge.

By Stephanie Riegel (Contact)

Monday, April 21, 2008

In the smaller of the two massive sound stages that are part of the 20-acre Celtic Media Centre studio complex, shooting is currently under way for the pilot episode of The Mike Epps Comedy Project, a 30-minute television series that is being independently produced for an airing this summer on the Comedy Central cable network.

Inside the 8,000-square-foot studio, crews adjust lights and rearrange furniture on six different sets that have been specially built for the show, while the nationally renowned comedian prepares for his next take.

Great news for BR.

BR will soon have two Fortune 1000 companies located here. Albemarle will join Shaw as the second BR based fortune 1000 company and the fifth in the state joining Entergy, CenturyTel and Pool Corp.

Albemarle moving their headquarters from Richmond, Va. to BR.

CEO cites the election of Bobby Jindal as one of the factors in making the move.

http://www.businessreport.com/archives/daily-report/latest/

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2008/04/30/ap4955698.html

Thanks for the news alert drew! A "home-run" as they put it for Baton Rouge!!! Jindal, Moret and Holden make a great team; hopefully this just the begining!! With more to come?? :thumbsup:

With the tight supply of "Class A" office space in BR, I don't see why not southeast BR! :good: I say "build it, and they will come"! Public and private groups could get together(including Moret, Jindal, Holden) and see about building a new gleaming landmark office tower along one of the surface parking lots on Fourth Street! It would tell the rest of the world Baton Rouge is open for business and more than just the State Capital of La.

Great news for BR and the state. Hopefully this will only be the beginning of good economic development news for the state. It's amazing what lowering taxes and cleaning out corruption from the state govt. can do. Next up is the workforce development legislation. It copies North Carolina's which is one of the best in the nation.

I can't say what Albemarle Corp's headquarters will do for Baton Rouge in the way of personnel, but it only has about 25 people in its Richmond office. We are sorry to lose a Fortune 1000 headquarters (it will bring our 1000 count down to 13), but if it has to go, Baton Rouge is a perfect location. Congratulations!

I can't say what Albemarle Corp's headquarters will do for Baton Rouge in the way of personnel, but it only has about 25 people in its Richmond office. We are sorry to lose a Fortune 1000 headquarters (it will bring our 1000 count down to 13), but if it has to go, Baton Rouge is a perfect location. Congratulations!

I think they are just moving the offices and corporate HQ to where all the research and development, manufacturing, and field personnel are located...it's obviously cheaper to move 25 people into a rennovated office (they are spending $5 million to rennovate a office space for 25 people....yikes!) than it is to move their core employees to Virginia.

I doubt them leaving has as much to do with the quality of life in Richmond as the business climate in Baton Rouge and their tax package from the state of Louisiana and East Baton Rouge.

Hopefully Cane's will do an IPO and move into the fortune 1000 sector soon. I don't see as much potential for growth with Lamar as I do Albermarle, Shaw, Turner, Cajun, and Cane's. Picadilly may have had a chance but their combined poor business decisions and being bought out ruined that.

• 1 month later...

This is pretty neat when you think about it because in a way it means we're big enough that businesses are starting to move to suburban cities. I know I shouldn't be saying this with all the pro-downtown sentiment, but I think it woul be neat to have a small office tower in Denham Springs, something maybe 5-8 stories tall.

"Chemical company moving HQ to Denham Springs

Bercen, a specialty chemicals company serving the paper industry, will move its headquarters and its research and development and technical service labs from Rhode Island to Denham Springs, Louisiana Economic Development announced today. The company will also expand its local manufacturing operations. The move represents a $5 million capital investment in Louisiana, along with 20 jobs with average salaries of $90,000. "The decision to move our sole base of manufacturing operations from Cranston to Denham Springs was based on what we found to be a more competitive business climate in Louisiana," said Jim Thorpe, president and CEO of Bercen, Inc. "We are enthusiastic about the direction in which Louisiana is heading, and we want to be a part of it." Thorpe says other factors played into the move, including the proximity to LSU and Southeastern Louisiana University, which will provide a pool of research chemists and engineers from which to recruit, and the Port of New Orleans. Bercen has a customer service department and manufacturing site in Denham Springs. The company is expected to take advantage of $500,000 for infrastructure and relocation expenses from the Governor's Rapid Response Fund, as well as the Quality Jobs Program. The move is scheduled to take place by Dec. 31, 2009."

• 2 weeks later...

This is what I'm talikg about! :good: BR and Mobile are rising mid-sized cities in the Gulf South!

Baton Rouge honored by business magazine once again

For the second consecutive year, Southern Business & Development magazine has selected the Baton Rouge metro area among the South

• 3 weeks later...

:w00t: :w00t:

"IT company moving headquarters to B.R.

A manager with Truistic Solutions has purchased the Houston-based IT company and is moving company's headquarters to Baton Rouge. Ned Fasullo also says he's changing the company's name to SimplifyIT to better reflect its mission. No staff members from Houston are making the move, but Fasullo says he plans to beef up employment in both offices. "We're going to hire four people here and two people in Houston over the next 30 days," he says. SimplifyIT has clients, ranging from schools to restaurants, from Houston to southern Mississippi. Fasullo says he plans to expand the company into Jackson, Miss., and Mobile, Ala., over the next year."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived