Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

A Super Bi-Lo is cmoing to McKee Farms Shopping Center, which will be next to the Siskey Y and across from Plantation Market/Harris Teeter. It'll be 57,000 square feet...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15769562.htm

The Observer reported that it's NC's first Super Bi-Lo, however Greensboro got the first Super Bi-Lo a few years ago (which closed last year).

superbilogbqc7.jpg

Edited by cantnot

I think a "super" BiLo has a pharmacy.

Most regular Bi-Lo stores have Pharmacies.

What makes a Bi-Lo Super, according to the article, is that it includes a coffee shop, a DVD and video game rental section, music, a digital photo printstation, a home-office supply area, and an expanded health center with nurses on staff.

This area is at one of the worst planned intersections in the city. The fields around the intersection are now all being mowed over for cookie-cutter cheap sided houses typical of sprawlsville. The infrastructure most certainly can not support this development.

That is a terrible corner. Someone died there last year. Imagine what it will be like now. That Bi-Lo will definitely add another choice for those people in nearby Stallings who used to shop at the old Winn-Dixie on Potter Rd. Once you cross into Union county, the demographic switches pretty quickly. HT's stronghold will probably be confined to the one square mile area around "Plantation Market." However, HT is planning another store further down on Potter Rd. in 2008.

Here goes another old Harris Teeter

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/8112.html

The Harris Teeter near Winthrop in Rock Hill is set to close, since the one on Celenese was recently remodeled. That theory is a little messed up.

Yes, another reason the theory is messed up, is because the store at Rt. 51 and Lawyers Rd. does the least business than any HT, but they keep that one open because there is a Lowe's Foods about 1000 ft. from it. The Winthrop HT did more business than the Mint Hill one but they decide to close that one? That leaves only two stores in the Rock Hill/Fort Mill area. I know there are set to be a couple in Lake Wylie, but to me that doesn't count as "Rock Hill."

That's true. I doubt anything will replace that Winn Dixie now on Potter Road. Too bad Harris Teeter is too stubborn to move into DT Stallings and Lowes Foods too.

Yeah they are too stubborn to move there because there are trailers and old houses across the street from that plaza and that would make HT seem middle class...lol

A Super Bi-Lo is cmoing to McKee Farms Shopping Center, which will be next to the Siskey Y and across from Plantation Market/Harris Teeter. It'll be 57,000 square feet...

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/business/15769562.htm

The Observer reported that it's NC's first Super Bi-Lo, however Greensboro got the first Super Bi-Lo a few years ago (which closed last year).

superbilogbqc7.jpg

Also don't forget a Super Bi-Lo is coming to Rock Hill too http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.ph...p;referid=10526

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but Trader Joe's announced a second lcoation last week in the Arbors near UNCC.

I wish that companies like TJ's and Earthfare would stop building so far out of the city. :(

Also, it has been over TWO YEARS since Whole Foods announced that they were opening a store. Does anyone have information about that project?

Edited by reverbandwhiskey

I don't know if anyone mentioned it but Trader Joe's announced a second lcoation last week in the Arbors near UNCC.

I wish that companies like TJ's and Earthfare would stop building so far out of the city. :(

Also, it has been over TWO YEARS since Whole Foods announced that they were opening a store. Does anyone have information about that project?

Trader Joe's - yes it was mentioned, There's a Trader Joe's thread floating around there somewhere.

Whole Foods - recently we got a rendering of it. I believe it's in the Elizabeth redevelopment thread.

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/8177.html

A new article about the 25,000 square foot Harris Teeter on Cherry Road closing... built in 1963. The article includes a pic and also talks about the decline of Cherry Road.

It's sad because this was the closest grocery store to the downtown area of Rock Hill.

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/8188.html

An update. I think even though Harris Teeter didn't have the room to expand this store, they should have converted it into a Harris Teeter Express at least, which would have sufficed. The citizens of downtown Rock Hill are left with a void.

Hicklin is furious about the closing.

"Here we are trying to get more people and more things downtown, and here you are taking away our grocery store," Hicklin said.

She also worries about the elderly customers who depend on the store's easy location, and the Winthrop University students who'll be stuck walking to Walgreen's for provisions.

"I could cry, I really could," Hicklin said.

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/8188.html

An update. I think even though Harris Teeter didn't have the room to expand this store, they should have converted it into a Harris Teeter Express at least, which would have sufficed. The citizens of downtown Rock Hill are left with a void.

It's sad, but nowadays unless your family income is more than $75,000/year, HT could care a less about you.

It's too bad a smaller chain can't go in there...the space is pretty small though for another grocery store.

It should be a little better when the old Rock Hill Mall is demolished to make way for the Super Bi-Lo. That is only about 2 miles from Winthrop.

Thanks for those images mediamongrel.

If anyone's interested, here is a pic of that shopping center's enterance in its heyday. This is from the River Hills Plantation's website history section, and I believe the pic was taken around 1979. They said the store was there til the mid 90s when it moved to Steele Creek and Hwy 49.

hist-LakeWyliePlaza.jpg

Thanks for those images mediamongrel.

If anyone's interested, here is a pic of that shopping center's enterance in its heyday. This is from the River Hills Plantation's website history section, and I believe the pic was taken around 1979. They said the store was there til the mid 90s when it moved to Steele Creek and Hwy 49.

hist-LakeWyliePlaza.jpg

Makes you wonder why they closed it if they are now going to open it up again not a mile from there at The Palisades.