Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

Perhaps. There is also irony in the location of the HT Dist Cntr as there is a Food Lion right across the street. I doubt it will be a Lowes Foods for another reason though, Lowes Foods doesn't take over any old stores in the Charlotte area - all their stores have been built brand new. (not very green lol)

That's true, but Lowes Foods did consider acquiring Bi-Lo back in 2005.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh wow really? I don't recall that! Interesting

This was before Bi-Lo spun off their underperforming stores. I wonder if they were trying to make themselves more attractive to a buyer back then. But as you stated, Lowes Foods typically does not buy existing stores.

BTW, I went to the new Lowes Foods in Wesley Chapel and was amazed at how similar in layout it is to the Super Bi-Lo in Matthews. I also visited the Bloom in Fort Mill the other day, and I definitely see the Super Bi-Lo becoming a Bloom if the Food Lion merger goes through.

This was before Bi-Lo spun off their underperforming stores. I wonder if they were trying to make themselves more attractive to a buyer back then. But as you stated, Lowes Foods typically does not buy existing stores.

BTW, I went to the new Lowes Foods in Wesley Chapel and was amazed at how similar in layout it is to the Super Bi-Lo in Matthews. I also visited the Bloom in Fort Mill the other day, and I definitely see the Super Bi-Lo becoming a Bloom if the Food Lion merger goes through.

The Super Bi-Lo in Fort Mill.. is that the Bi-Lo on 160 that used to be a Winn-Dixie?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It's been a long, agonizing road but I think the Bloom on Park Rd may be opening soon. I peaked in through the glass and all the shelving/displays are installed and signage is going up. Sadly, the store doesn't seem to have done anything to be more pedestrian friendly. So far there are no bike racks, but I'm hopeful that's coming. While the main lot was repaved and got new planters and curbs, the "back ally" entrance off of Ideal Way is pretty much as trashed and dumpy as it was before.

SSPX0250.jpg

* This photo was taken from next to the bus shelter for the 19 Park Rd bus. In another small example of not recognizing needs beyond the car driver, they landscaped all around the shelter. They'll probably recognize the mistake when the landscaping gets wiped out by people walking through it.

Edited by tozmervo

Holding out hope that there are still some last minute enhancements to come but I agree that it looks rather dreadfully....suburban. Live just up the block but will continue to go over to HT on East. I only buy for myself and the kitty and never cook anything so Teeter is not expensive for me.

To be fair Bloom inherited a pretty nasty situtation. I did not expect them to transfrom the parking desert surrounding the structure. A little more creative infill would have been nice though. I thought I read that new retail was going to go in on the side of the lot before the florist shop along Park.

The rehabbed store is certainly an improvement and not scary anymore. Just quite bland which is unfortunate.

Quite honestly, while it may be bland it's a complete 180 turnaround in my book. The Crime-Lo that was there before was awful. I live not even a mile away and I could count on one hand how many times I went there. This will be a nice improvement... I will definitely patronize it.

Speaking of Bloom. I live in The Village At Mill Creek by Concord Mills. Wasnt Bloom going to build near there at some point. I know there are signs at Christenbury Hall for retail but there are tons of parcels at the intersection of Odell School RD and Christenbury Parkway. Anyone know?

Speaking of Bloom. I live in The Village At Mill Creek by Concord Mills. Wasnt Bloom going to build near there at some point. I know there are signs at Christenbury Hall for retail but there are tons of parcels at the intersection of Odell School RD and Christenbury Parkway. Anyone know?

They have apparently put this development on hold. The site plan lists the Bloom as being 38k sq. ft. and the site also has an additional 24k of retail space (18 units) so I'm assuming strip mallesque.

The site plan was submitted in June of 2008 and they owe ~$56k for project review fees (as of November 2008 which was the last date the plan was reviewed by the city).

This area could certainly use a dedicated grocery store, though I suppose the new Walmart fills that void for most.

What the site on Park Rd needs, other than a total demo and rebuild:

-One or two narrow buildings fronting Park Rd to hide the big box

-Sidewalks between the parking aisles to connect transit riders and patrons from the new buildings to the grocery store

-Reduced parking requirement to allow new buildings on the site.

The shopping center where Trader Joes is on Rea Rd went through a similar remodel a few years ago and is much more attractive now. They shifted some of the parking to the back of the center to allow new buildings along the road frontage. (The beta version of bing shows this if you zoom in)

They have apparently put this development on hold. The site plan lists the Bloom as being 38k sq. ft. and the site also has an additional 24k of retail space (18 units) so I'm assuming strip mallesque.

The site plan was submitted in June of 2008 and they owe ~$56k for project review fees (as of November 2008 which was the last date the plan was reviewed by the city).

This area could certainly use a dedicated grocery store, though I suppose the new Walmart fills that void for most.

Everything seems to be on hold.. Christenbury Hall hasnt moved dirt in a year it seems. The new Wal-mart is nice, but still just a box in asphalt. Hoping for something a bit more intimate. Though I am a huge Aldi's fan. Guess Ill keep going to the one up at Prosperity. Thanks for the info!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Bi-Lo in Indian Trail closed down on March 6. Is it a victim of Wal-Mart Super Center just down the road? or the not very far away Super Bi-Lo in Matthews? To be honest, I haven't shopped at that Bi-Lo since the one in Matthews opened, and didn't even know it had shut down until today.

Edited by bigboxstore

The new Bloom kicked open it's doors to a hungry public today. I give it a good thumbs up on cleanliness, organization and selection. It's prices are pretty much the same as Teeter (ie, too high), but I'll live. The staff, while still clearly learning the ropes, were remarkably cheerful. We'll see how long that lasts :)

Thumbs down: no bike rack. Myself and another were locked up to the propane tank cage. I've already submitted a request to them, hopefully they'll take a hint.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

The new Wal-Mart on 521/Johnston just south of Ballantyne and just across the border into S.C. opened last week. I was there on Saturday and it was packed.

Although I'm an N.C. resident, S.C. now gets 99% of my gasoline money, 99% of my home improvement (Lowe's) money, and 99% of my grocery money.

From what I understand, more than one N.C. location had a shot at this Wal-Mart (instead of its current location), but all turned their noses up. Actually, fought it vehemently.

Edited by grodney

Well, Lancaster County does have a sort of "Come on in, we don't care what it looks like" reputation. Since so much of the County is rural and fairly low income these developments on the Charlotte border do a lot to help their tax base. From WalMart's perspective, getting approval here was probably like shooting fish in a barrel. The zoning is a lot more lax and development on the Charlotte side of 521 is generally laid out better if you ask me. I think Crosland is planning something nice near Sun City, kind of Blakeney part II.

No question on what you say. I'm sure Indian Land and Lancaster and S.C. just loved to welcome them in.

It's only anecdotal, but the people (workers) across the line are so friendly. Whether it's Long John Silver's (don't hate me), or the Cobblestone gas station, or Lowe's Home Improvement, and even the 1 time I've been to Wal-Mart, they're just always super happy and overly friendly. There was a lady stocking bananas that said she had lived in Indian Land her whole life (37 years) and she was just THRILLED to have a Wal-Mart in "town" and to be working there.