Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

Looks like Publix is a bit nervous about crossing state lines into NC. Charlotte is so saturated w/ Harris Teeters it may be a bit of a hostile marketplace for them to try to gain entry into the state, compared to the other metros in the state. I suppose geographically Charlotte would be the natural NC expansion if not for the H.T. issue.

Too bad Wilmington is often overlooked. They are close to the SC border and so isolated from everything else I could see Publix making a go there. Maybe near the wealthy coastal areas of town...

I suspect the other issue holding Publix back from NC is that (I believe) the serve all their SC stores from a distribution center in Gwinett county GA. Since grocers are typically reluctant to serve stores more than 300 miles from the distribution center NC (particularly Wilmington) remains just out of reach. I think Publix's only move into NC is all or nothing with a new distribution center in Greensboro, Triangle or maybe Richmond before significant new stores are built.

I suspect the other issue holding Publix back from NC is that (I believe) the serve all their SC stores from a distribution center in Gwinett county GA. Since grocers are typically reluctant to serve stores more than 300 miles from the distribution center NC (particularly Wilmington) remains just out of reach. I think Publix's only move into NC is all or nothing with a new distribution center in Greensboro, Triangle or maybe Richmond before significant new stores are built.

I don't think the distance to distribution center is holding them back. Harris Teeter's main distribution hub is in Greensboro and they have four locations in D.C., a location on St. Simons Island GA and one on Amelia Island FL which is 450 miles from Greensboro.

I think the Charlotte market is already over-served by HT. It's easier for them to open stores in new areas of growth, like Charlotte's South Carolina suburbs, when they are approaching a new market.

Edited by sharkdawg

^The first HT is actually what is now a tattoo parlor next to Soul (and the first Family Dollar now Nova's Bakery). So I'd say the current Harris-Teeter store and site are no more historic than the current Family Dollar store site on Central Avenue (and I hope someone eventually re-develops the latter as well).

But I must say, as a frequent walker to this store, I am thrilled! No more walking around the split-rail-fenced pasture when I reach this corner, but actually a store entrance!

It's a pretty good design, but absolutely not for that neighborhood. The changes this will bring to the street level activity will be awesome, but they are doing a disservice to the neighborhood by not blending it in with its surroundings better than that.

The vertical sign and rounded wing have a certain 50's kitsch to it that is IMO a pretty nice funky touch for a place like PM. They could have tried to emulate an old-school brick facade but I think it would have felt inauthentic. As far as chain grocery stores go I think this is about as good as it is going to get and I have to commend them for really trying hard to please the neighborhood.

I think Plaza-Midwood (business area) has character because it is not one single style building. I agree with nonillogical in that it goes pretty well with the neighborhood

I agree 100%!!! In fact I am floored by Harris Teeters site specific design that they seem to be doing with their two new Charlotte locations (Martha's Teeter (MyersPark) and Teet Deco (Plaza-Midwood), as I call them). I think this Harris Teeter is funky and weird, and wonderful, it is a nod to the 50s rockabilly undertones of the entire neighborhood. I always hoped charlotte would get a teeter like the one in adams morgan. Lets just see how they execute it...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Exterior signage at the Park rd Bloom has been changed to Food Lion. I have not yet been inside to see the remainder of the transformation.

I was in there the other week. They removed the olive/salad bar and had rearranged the aisles around the beer section in a very inconvenient way...I hope that was temporary.

I was hoping it would be basically bloom with food lion signs, but they're going for the full-on food lion experience. I'm not a pretentious guy when it comes to buying bananas and bread, but the massive tobacco counter in the middle of the check outs is really lame.

I was hoping it would be basically bloom with food lion signs, but they're going for the full-on food lion experience. I'm not a pretentious guy when it comes to buying bananas and bread, but the massive tobacco counter in the middle of the check outs is really lame.

+1 on the cigarettes. Its definitely a different vibe in the store already.

Vendors were crowding the store tonight around 10 working on the switchover and reconfiguring shelves. It appeared that the produce section was cut in 1/2 (all the center displays are gone) and the already limited bakery section was gutted as well. The dairy case was also a pale imitation of its former self. Beer selection appears to be the same (and not bad).

Hopefully they can make it SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the bloom (I don't think they have changed all the prices yet)

This is a massive oversight by food lion, this would have been a very successful bloom for the sole reason that ht at kenilworth cOmmons (name?) can be hard to get in and out of... There is a lot of need for mid-tier grocery store, not a lot of need for low...

I wouldn't be surprised to see this location go down hill as a Food Lion. I'm not much of a snob of anything when it comes to shopping (I do go to Walmart on occassions) but the only time I go into Food Lion is to find cheap beer or something last minute. Otherwise, I'll just head over to HT. This Food Lion will be have to stand out from normal Food Lions in order to do well IMO. Getting rid of the Bloom brand is shooting themselves in the foot.

Edited by dbull75

Exterior signage at the Park rd Bloom has been changed to Food Lion. I have not yet been inside to see the remainder of the transformation.

I wonder if Food Lion will outfit it as they do other Food Lions I've been in....that is to say it must have discount floor tiles, display's from the 70's and cashier stations that should have been replaced in the 90's.

I can't stand Food Lion. I could almost stomach going into a Bloom, but I have yet to visit a Food Lion (even one that was built in the last few years) that makes me want to come back. scared.gif

I wonder if Food Lion will outfit it as they do other Food Lions I've been in....that is to say it must have discount floor tiles, display's from the 70's and cashier stations that should have been replaced in the 90's.

I can't stand Food Lion. I could almost stomach going into a Bloom, but I have yet to visit a Food Lion (even one that was built in the last few years) that makes me want to come back. scared.gif

I grew up in the Triangle and for whatever reason Food Lions are much more bearable there, and common in nice neighborhoods. The one near my parents house was remodeled in 2005 or so and looks about as nice as your basic Harris Teeter here (inside at least). Maybe its that there are more competitors there, making a fuzzier mid-tier, whereas here there's a more clearly defined high and low tier?

My family has a mountain house in Blowing Rock, NC, and there is actually a Food Lion there with redeeming qualities. It actually matches the demographics of the area pretty well. Its by far the nicest I've ever set foot in. They also just built a great new foodlion in the Savannah Historic District. Other than that they are allll useless!

If I find that this Food Lion is like any other Food Lion I've been into, then I won't shop there anymore. And I say that after almost exclusively started shopping at Bloom after they opened. I have a feling they are going to lose quite a few customers. I think the HT expansion at Kenilworth Commons will also have a bad effect on this store once it is finished - everyone will want to shop in the freshly remodeled HT, not the downgraded Food Lion. Remember that the Bi-Lo that was in the same spot before was pretty much like a typical Food Lion, and it went out of business. I just can't understand Delhaize's decision to do this...