Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

So I made it back to the Park Rd. Food Lion today. Wow, that place went downhill fast. As previously mentioned, they have removed checkout lanes to make way for a large cigarette stand, while the customer service area that formerly held the smokes more discretely is now basically empty. The signs inside identifying "bakery," "produce," etc. are no longer nice and modern looking. They look like a small-town/country grocery store now. They took all the perpendicular rows on the far end and turned them in the same direction as all the other rows. This was a particular thing that I liked about the Bloom design - just as Target has a food section that is kind of it's own little area of the store for anything food, this was Bloom's area for anything non-food. Now it's just confusingly mixed in with the grocery aisles. The organic/gluten-free foods section that was once there is gone. They no longer have my favorite coffee beans - Larry's Beans from Raleigh. The salad and olive bar was removed. The beer section now is a beer corner that does not feel connected like before. I think the deli sandwich area was removed, but I would have to go back to confirm - I thought about this after my visit.

The only positive - 5/$10 6-packs of Diet Coke bottles. I have never seen them anywhere that cheap.

I almost feel like I should boycott the store out of defiance just because they ruined what was such a good thing in my opinion. I know that probably sounds silly - groceries are groceries for the most part, aside from certain items you can only find at nicer grocery stores (Larry's Beans!). But I just enjoy shopping at a nicer, more welcoming store with a higher end feel even if I pay a few percent more. Guess I'll be switching back to the Teeter on East.

I almost feel like I should boycott the store out of defiance just because they ruined what was such a good thing in my opinion. I know that probably sounds silly - groceries are groceries for the most part, aside from certain items you can only find at nicer grocery stores (Larry's Beans!). But I just enjoy shopping at a nicer, more welcoming store with a higher end feel even if I pay a few percent more. Guess I'll be switching back to the Teeter on East.

Yeah, nobody who enjoyed Bloom for what it offered will have ANY problem switching back to Teeter since it's so close. Unfortunately I think we'll see that strip center returning more or less to its former state when the Bi-Lo was there...

It has to make you wonder just how clueless Food Lion is. I realize there is a certain clientele that FL appeals to, but it's a 180 from what Bloom did for Dilworth. I agree that it won't be long before it goes back down the road of Bi-Lo (aka Crime-Lo). The Harris Teeter on East probably couldn't be happier. Their store expansion will only further help them too.

I find it odd that Delhaize wants to focus on its Bloom stores in the DC Metro area while abandoning its home market. I believe higher tier grocers in DC have more competition like Wegman. In Charlotte, Harris Teeter is Charlotte's only upscale grocers, but friends in the DC who are from Charlotte said Harris Teeter is struggling there. So if Bloom struggled to compete with Harris Teeter in its home market, what makes it think it can fight off Wegman and Harris Teeter in DC?

Edited by Shawn&Zae

This is really a moot thought, but I live near what will now become a Food Lion so I'm curious. I'm wondering if land values are altered at all based on high-end vs low-end grocery being nearby. That said, once the Food Lion is converted 100%, will the land value in surrounding neighborhoods change, if even a little?

The Bloom here in University got its Food Lion moniker outside but the interior fixtures all still say Bloom. The store is a giant disorganized maze right now. They've completely gutted the bakery section, which is disappointing to me. It was always a favorite of mine if I wanted a quick (healthy) bite on the way to work. I don't trust Food Lion or Walmart with produce and meats. I've just never had good luck with them. I'll spend the extra dollar if I know my tomatoes won't go bad tomorrow. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic that this Food Lion turns out nicer than the ones I've been to before. But for the time being, I'm switching back over to Trader Joes and HT. -_-

EDIT: grammar

Edited by AuLukey

Ok, so I was on the fence about the whole conversion to Food Lion, but having just finished a shopping trip there (the "Grand Opening" celebration is beginning), I'm OK with it.

Yes, some* of the specialty products are gone and yes, the layout is a little more conventional. But at the end of the day, groceries is groceries, and FL has them for a hell of a lot cheaper than any other place in Center City. The store does benefit from inheriting the nicer finishes and lighting of the Bloom. They also left the self-checkouts, which no other FL I know of has.

I was amused at the ridiculous overuse of the word "Fresh." Keep an eye out for it next time.

*I was pleased to see the "make your own" 6-pack section is still there.

Ok, so I was on the fence about the whole conversion to Food Lion, but having just finished a shopping trip there (the "Grand Opening" celebration is beginning), I'm OK with it.

Yes, some* of the specialty products are gone and yes, the layout is a little more conventional. But at the end of the day, groceries is groceries, and FL has them for a hell of a lot cheaper than any other place in Center City. The store does benefit from inheriting the nicer finishes and lighting of the Bloom. They also left the self-checkouts, which no other FL I know of has.

I was amused at the ridiculous overuse of the word "Fresh." Keep an eye out for it next time.

*I was pleased to see the "make your own" 6-pack section is still there.

I thought the lighting in there was absolutely horrible!

• 2 weeks later...

In some non-FL news there is a new market opening off of Sardis in the Galleria shopping center between Subway and Party City.  I believe the spot used to be a Toys R Us so it should be pretty large.  The temporary sign says "Healthy Food Market Coming Soon."  It looked as though they were painting and buffing the floors when I walked by today so it may be awhile before they get stocked and open.  I'm excited to see what kind of selection they will have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In some non-FL news there is a new market opening off of Sardis in the Galleria shopping center between Subway and Party City. I believe the spot used to be a Toys R Us so it should be pretty large. The temporary sign says "Healthy Food Market Coming Soon." It looked as though they were painting and buffing the floors when I walked by today so it may be awhile before they get stocked and open. I'm excited to see what kind of selection they will have.

Hopefully a good wine and beer selection, but then that might not be healthy in many people's opinion.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Interior construction appears to be complete on the East blvd Teeter expansion. Aside from some cosmetics (like a ceiling) the new space appears to be ready for shelving and stocking.

We were just there today and I think it still has a ways to go, especially since some other areas of the store are getting overhauled too and things will need significant rearranging. It does seem like a matter of only a few weeks though.

We were just there today and I think it still has a ways to go, especially since some other areas of the store are getting overhauled too and things will need significant rearranging. It does seem like a matter of only a few weeks though.

I asked an employee about it and they are supposed to be opening some of the new sections by the end of March. But as they open those, they will close off/move around other areas of the store to renovate them. The entire renovation is not scheduled to be complete until June/July.

• 2 months later...

I posted this in the Plaza Midwood post, but the HT there is closing for remodeling or rather the replacement next month and it is sending notices to customers with coupons to either go the the Uptown, Cotswald, or Kenilworth locations. While the Kenilworth location is offering free delivery for the affected shoppers using the Plaza Midwood location.

I live just three blocks from the P-M HT. During reconstruction, I will be going to the Metropolitan Trader Joe's and Target for staples. However, I already walk to the Pecan/Central CVS when I need just a few items. I have also heard that this particular CVS will be adding more groceries, in light of the HT closing, by re-arranging its shelves.

is Bi-Lo still in Charlotte? If not it sounds like the Charlotte grocery market is now pretty much Harris Teeter on almost every corner in well to do areas with Food Lions, Aldi and Wal-Marts in the not so upscale areas....perhaps Publix will be invading the Queen City in the near future...

I wonder if there will be a shakeup in the Triangle soon as we still have Kroger, Lowes Foods, Harris Teeters, Aldi, Wal-Mart Supercenters, Super Targets and Food Lions scattered all over the area. It does seem as if Harris Teeter is trying to saturate Charlotte to try and block entry from other grocery store.....

Edited by NCMike1981