Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

I don't shop at Lowes, but what about the Lowes in Ballantyne, it's less than a minute away from the HT at Ardey Kell? IMO, Lowes has similar pricing to HT, but it just didn't feel like a HT. While HT said this transaction isn't b/c of Publix it just might be.

The Lowe's in Ballantyne will be subleased. It's 5 minutes from the HT Ardrey Kell Location and directly across the street from HT's Providence Commons location.

is Bi-Lo still in Charlotte? If not it sounds like the Charlotte grocery market is now pretty much Harris Teeter on almost every corner in well to do areas with Food Lions, Aldi and Wal-Marts in the not so upscale areas.... I wonder of there will be a Publix invasion for Charlotte soon.....

I wonder if there will be a shakeup in the Triangle soon as we still have Kroger, Lowes Foods, Harris Teeters, Aldi, Wal-Mart Supercenters, Super Targets and Food Lions scattered all over the area. It does seem as if Harris Teeter is trying to saturate Charlotte to try and block entry from other grocery store.....

Yes, Bi-Lo is still in Charlotte, but they have a much smaller footprint than they once did. The Publix invasion is already coming. They are building locations in Fort Mill and Indian Land and just announced a location in Rock Hill.

I keep waiting for announcements on someone swapping/buying out the remaining Kroger stores in NC as they only have 16 stores in the state and those stores are only located in 2 counties (Wake/Durham). It's just that they are down to such a small footprint you'd think they'd be an easy buy out target by *cough Publix cough* a chain looking to expand into NC. Not even the Triangle needs 16 new Teeters, then we'd be saturated w/ them like Charlotte lol

Did Harris Teeter buy out/swap out w/ Kroger in Charlotte back in the late '80s like they did the Triad in the late '90s?

Edited by NCMike1981

I keep waiting for announcements on someone swapping/buying out the remaining Kroger stores in NC as they only have 16 stores in the state and those stores are only located in 2 counties (Wake/Durham). It's just that they are down to such a small footprint you'd think they'd be an easy buy out target by *cough Publix cough* a chain looking to expand into NC. Not even the Triangle needs 16 new Teeters, then we'd be saturated w/ them like Charlotte lol

Did Harris Teeter buy out/swap out w/ Kroger in Charlotte back in the late '80s like they did the Triad in the late '90s?

Publix has to make an 'all or nothing' bet on the NC market. Currently their closest distribution center is in Lawrenceville GA so they really have no way to feasibly serve stores in the Triangle. If Publix is going to jump into any market north of SC they will need a new distribution center to do it, I suspect the northern edge of the Triangle is the most likely location for this investment.

Charlotte is they key cog in this expansion as the expensive new distribution center can't be justified without the Charlotte market. HT has done a pretty good job of taking every possible location for a Publix in the burbs, but (IMO) they have left gaps in some urban markets that have growth potential (Southend, Scaleybark, NoDa, Midtown) where Publix could gain a foothold.

"I don't shop at Lowes, but what about the Lowes in Ballantyne, it's less than a minute away from the HT at Ardey Kell?"

"The Lowe's in Ballantyne will be subleased. It's 5 minutes from the HT Ardrey Kell Location and directly across the street from HT's Providence Commons location."

The above is a little mis-worded.

There is an HT at Johnston and Ballantyne Commons. That's the only HT truly in Ballantyne. There is no Lowe's Foods in Ballantyne.

There is an HT at Johnston and Ardrey Kell. This is just south (approx 0.6 miles) of the Lowe's on Johnston (just south of Ballantyne). I haven't seen any mention of this Lowe's in the article/announcement.

There is an HT at Ballantyne Commons and Providence (in Providence Commons). Across Ballantyne Commons is a Lowe's. This Lowe's will be subleased to another retailer.

(Substitute 521 for Johnston above, if you like.)

Edited by grodney

"I don't shop at Lowes, but what about the Lowes in Ballantyne, it's less than a minute away from the HT at Ardey Kell?"

"The Lowe's in Ballantyne will be subleased. It's 5 minutes from the HT Ardrey Kell Location and directly across the street from HT's Providence Commons location."

The above is a little mis-worded.

There is an HT at Johnston and Ballantyne Commons. That's the only HT truly in Ballantyne. There is no Lowe's Foods in Ballantyne.

There is an HT at Johnston and Ardrey Kell. This is just south (approx 0.6 miles) of the Lowe's on Johnston (just south of Ballantyne). I haven't seen any mention of this Lowe's in the article/announcement.

There is an HT at Ballantyne Commons and Providence (in Providence Commons). Across Ballantyne Commons is a Lowe's. This Lowe's will be subleased to another retailer.

(Substitute 521 for Johnston above, if you like.)

for some reason I forgot about the HT at Johnston at Ardrey Kell. I forgot that HT is at each of the main intersections of Ardrey Kell (Providence, Rea, Johnston).

HT has done a pretty good job of taking every possible location for a Publix in the burbs, but (IMO) they have left gaps in some urban markets that have growth potential (Southend, Scaleybark, NoDa, Midtown) where Publix could gain a foothold.

The following locations would be good places for Publix to pursue a competitive urban strategy:

- 4th/Randolph (Grubb's former Whole Foods site) or 10th & Seigle (NE corner)

- Iverson Way/South (Cherokee/Pappas site across from Lowe's) or Scaleybark/South (former Crosland's site)

- Park/Mockingbird (Pfeiffer University's re-development plan)

- Monroe/Chippendale (large Woonsocket site)

This is all so interesting. I had the opportunity to visit most of the Harris Teeters (sans Asheville) that will be converting to Lowes Foods (Gastonia, Hickory, Shelby, Morganton) and gosh these stores are a time warp compared to Charlotte... you can tell that even though they were in established markets they became an afterthought to Harris Teeter after HT's upscale expansion. On the other hand, all of the Lowes Foods stores which are in Meck/Charlotte (and Fort Mill, Wes. Chapel) are way newer (built within the last decade)...

I too am curious since HT has only mentioned that Lowes Foods @ Promenade will not become HT, will they reallin Ahave stores across the street from one another??? I know Kroger's done this in Atlanta with buyouts of HT and A&P ... but still, quite absurd.... Wesley Chapel, Huntersville/Birkdale, to name a few.

I'd love to see a grocery store go in at 10th and Seigle.

I'd love to see one there, too, though it may be the least likely location I listed. However, I tried to think of where could a location draw more than just NoDa customers (who are largely isolated from other middle-income households). This site seems close enough to First Ward, Elizabeth, and Midwood to have added purchasing power in addition to NoDa, but retailers may still unfortunately "red-line" the spot as Belmont.

And note that this is the corner across Seigle from the CHA property. Basically, the for-sale corner encompasses almost everything between Piedmont Middle and Seigle Point.

Edited by southslider

^the Park/Mockingbird redevelopment plan perked my interest. Is there anything published on that?

I couldn't find anything online. But through the Park Woodlawn Area Plan process, I've heard that Pfeiffer wishes to consolidate and rebuild on the rear of their property, while selling land up along Park Road to other development.

• 4 weeks later...

for some reason I forgot about the HT at Johnston at Ardrey Kell. I forgot that HT is at each of the main intersections of Ardrey Kell (Providence, Rea, Johnston).

I drove by the former Lowe's Foods location at Johnston and Lancaster Highway last night and the sign is up saying HT coming soon. Also have noticed that HT prices have started to creep back up.

Edited by bigboxstore

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the new Walmart concept, Walmart Neighborhood Market is coming to the old Best Buy site off of Independence.

http://obswhatsinstore.blogspot.com/2012/07/wal-mart-neighborhood-market-coming-to.html

Maybe it'll be better than a traditional super center, however I'm not a Walmart person. I prefer good customer service, quality, and selection than anything Wal-Mart.

• 4 weeks later...

You didn't hear it from me but I have heard from a reliable source that Publix is in the final stages of acquiring a site in a Northern Meckelnburg community.

We should know more shortly.

Get ready for an upscale supermarket war.....

Get ready for an upscale supermarket war.....

It's already begun. As an urban benefit, the pending war likely convinced HT to finally rebuild Plaza/Central and Providence/Queens, as well as expand Kenilworth/East.

And now someone is shopping the site across from Lowe's in South End. If the Crosland site fell through at Scaleybark, Iverson/South could also be HT. Such saturation would help protect its exclusive market with in-town professionals. Otherwise, the coming grocery wars won't be limited to the suburbs.

Edited by southslider

Between the grocery inside Target and TJs, a third option at Metropolitan might be overkill. Back in the day there were plans for a Whole Foods on Elizabeth, which seems like a much better option for another grocery store. (I'd prefer publix myself, and I could see CPCC & presby folks picking up groceries there)