Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

I live in Nashville and have lived in Charlotte. My store was the one on Central, very convenient. I shopped at HT in Charlotte almost exclusively. We have both stores here. Publix outnumbers HT. HT tends to be in only high income areas and have a few very upscale urban stores. Publix here is more of competition for Krogers rather than HT. I am unimpressed by Publix. Prices are higher or seem higher than Krogers and there produce department leaves a lot to be desired.

Kermit - I think your observations are spot on. Having worked with both HT and Publix (in FL) my sense is that Publix will take the same approach as they did in Atlanta, although it may be a more thought out process as they've closed more stores there than in any other market they're in. In response to Publix's (Publii?) entrance into the market, HT will likely take the defensive from the opposite end, adding urban/infill stores that give them control of those in-town neighborhoods that Publix will likely not have the risk tolerance for. I say this knowing one Publix location in Charlotte (soon to be revealed) goes against that principal, but as a whole, this will likely be the case.

I say this knowing one Publix location in Charlotte (soon to be revealed) goes against that principal, but as a whole, this will likely be the case.

I agree that Publix will largely follow an "outside-in" approach, while HT solidifies its "in-town" market, as more of an "inner fort" approach. However, the very site you call "soon to be revealed" is speculated by many in development circles as that opposite Lowe's in South End. And this site will be the crack in HT's otherwise solid, urban wall.

Frankly, HT left themselves exposed. As soon as the deal with Crosland at Scaleybark fell apart, HT should have scrambled for another site. And if the dust at South/Iverson still ends up being an HT, good for them. But if not (as is increasingly speculated), HT just left the door open for Publix to introduce themselves to Charlotte's newest, large concentration of young professionals and other urbanites. While Myers Park may be reliable, it's aging, and South End is the future of Charlotte's consumerism.

Edited by southslider

That is indeed the site i was referring to, and I'm hopeful it's one of several infill locations b/c I think the counter by HT is to only get more infill. Specifically, I think if the South & Iverson Publix materializes it forces HT to do an urban or mixed use store in an even more infill location like Tryon & Morehead. Thankfully, HT is probably one of the more creative and willing (for lack of a better word) grocers and will do 2-story or mixed-use, or under-parked store if the location is right.

I could foresee either Harris Teeter or Publix buying out Kroger in the Triangle over the coming years (we have lots of Lowes Foods scattered about but they don't seem very busy even though they keep building new stores in the area) to either fortify their market share (Harris Teeter) or gain entry into the market (Publix). I mention this as Kroger has retreated to only being located in Durham and Wake counties in all of NC, yet they have like 15 solidly middle class locations in those counties (but it's been a number of years since they've built a new store)...although the stores must be profitable as they are usually packed with shoppers so who knows they will probably keep stores in the Triangle as long as they are making $$ off them. Of course this would be once Publix gets a critical number of stores in the Charlotte area. If I were the typical (not wealthy enough to do all my grocery shopping at the organic type stores) person in Charlotte I'd definately want some more competition, as it seems as if Harris Teeter has almost a monopoly in that area. From what I hear Food Lions arent very good in the Charlotte area (most of them around Raleigh are either old but newly renovated inside, semi nice or nice and new, not really many truly dumpy stores).

I went into a Publix in New Smyrna Beach, Florida and it was big and nice....sort of reminded me of a cross between Harris Teeter and Kroger...and it was very very busy, in all fairness it was June and the grocery store was a few blocks from the beach :-)

Edited by NCMike1981

• 2 weeks later...

An Observer article today "Charlotte developer to focus on grocery-anchored projects" was full of interesting conicidences:

Charlotte developer Daniel Levine is teaming up with Florida-based commercial real estate firm Stiles to develop residential and commercial projects in the Carolinas, focusing on grocery-anchored centers.

Said Stiles CEO Terry Stiles: “We are excited about the potential opportunities that exist in North Carolina, especially in the retail, office and multi-family segments.”

Levine is also busy acquiring three additional sites in Charlotte for multifamily projects. Levine is keeping mum on the locations, saying negotiations are ongoing.

They don't ask either principal about the potential for a Publix at Levine's first ward site.

http://www.charlotte...o-focus-on.html

Edited by kermit

I can imagine market space for two intown Publi in the near future (one being the Southend site). I would have assumed that an Elizabeth ave (former Grubb project) site would have made the most sense in combination with the Southend site. Levine's involvement certainly adds a new wrinkle and his 1st ward parking / hotel / retail site (adjacent the park) looks to be reasonably well situated to a grocery store. I won't begin to guess where Publix will put its stores but if Levine ever gets anything out of the ground his connection with Stiles might give us some clues about their future market strategy.

Harris Teeter is doing everything it can to deter customers from going to Publix. All of the HTs near the soon to be opened Publix are having Super Double every Wednesday this month. The following stores are doing this promotion: Shoppes of Ardrey Kell, Carolina Commons, Johnston Rd., Cureton, West Town Market, Steele Croft, Northwood Square or Tega Cay.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone heard about Whole Foods other planned locations? I was in the store the other day and asked the cashier about a Huntersville location and was told one was planned. She also said they were looking at Ballantyne and University City for locations. Take that for what it's worth, but she seemed pretty certain. Independently of that, I have been told that WF has either bought or at least shown interest in buying the old Birkdale Fitness facility. I'd love to see that happen. Can anyone confirm?

Has anyone heard about Whole Foods other planned locations? I was in the store the other day and asked the cashier about a Huntersville location and was told one was planned. She also said they were looking at Ballantyne and University City for locations. Take that for what it's worth, but she seemed pretty certain. Independently of that, I have been told that WF has either bought or at least shown interest in buying the old Birkdale Fitness facility. I'd love to see that happen. Can anyone confirm?

I'd love to see a Whole Foods go in the old Walmart spot. Anything to help keep that shopping center from deteriorating further.

I'd love to see a Whole Foods go in the old Walmart spot. Anything to help keep that shopping center from deteriorating further.

If you're talking about the vacant Walmart in University, that center looks like it's past saving since Old Navy and Ulta are both on their way out now too. Not that they were the saving grace keeping it all together, but just a sign that retailers want out of this center.

If you're talking about the vacant Walmart in University, that center looks like it's past saving since Old Navy and Ulta are both on their way out now too. Not that they were the saving grace keeping it all together, but just a sign that retailers want out of this center.

That's too bad, but I'm not really surprised.

I can't believe an area with 26,000 students, most of which live on or within a mile of campus, can't support retail that is right off campus. Even more amazing is they apparently can't support much of a bar scene.

• 2 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see the site plans when they are released for both the store and apartments. This area of Southend will be quite the pedestrian haven in a few years. Regarding Publix, my wife has twice been to the new one in Tega Cay. She definitely raved about the produce and deli. But as far as pricing goes, it's right on par with Harris Teeter. Also, they don't have the variety that HT does either with various goods that we buy. And the beer selection (one of my areas for comparison) wasn't mind blowing either. I realize everyone may have a different HT to compare to, but I think the enthusiasm with Publix has been brought down to earth a little. At least for us. We'll probably go to Publix for some things and Harris Teeter for others. While it's a great option to have in the Charlotte area, it's not necessarily going to put HT out of business by any means. However, the added competition is a good thing.

Edited by wend28

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure you can find some things that are less expensive at Publix. However, it's not the difference that I think a lot of people were saying there would be ... Perhaps that's the anti-HT crowd, I don't know. Not saying you are. Maybe I've read too many Observer comments :) Also keep in mind, that food prices as a whole have a changed a lot in the last 5 years. Retailers are passing off those higher costs to consumers.

Edited by wend28

I also shop at the Dilworth Teeter on East Blvd, which may be a bit more expensive than some others on the fringe of town. I think your wife was spot on in her assessment. They have always been known for their deli, bakery and produce. HT definitely has the advantage in their variety, especially regarding natural/organics.

Any more speculative rumblings about new store locations around town? Given that the Ballantyne site was a Harris Land property, I wonder if Stiles was able to also work out a deal with them to get Publix on their site at Gleneagles and Park?