Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

^Whole Foods is surely losing sales to in-town professionals already shopping at HT or Trader Joe's, and in the future, possibly Publix as well. All of these higher-end grocers are definitely watching each other's moves. HT may be the local brand, but realistically, they wouldn't have upgraded their Dilworth, Myers Park and Midwood stores just recently or now underway, until they knew Publix was coming to greater Charlotte. Likewise, Publix's press release about South End may be the best hope now for an Elizabeth/Midtown Whole Foods.

^Whole Foods is surely losing sales to in-town professionals already shopping at HT or Trader Joe's, and in the future, possibly Publix as well. All of these higher-end grocers are definitely watching each other's moves. HT may be the local brand, but realistically, they wouldn't have upgraded their Dilworth, Myers Park and Midwood stores just recently or now underway, until they knew Publix was coming to greater Charlotte. Likewise, Publix's press release about South End may be the best hope now for an Elizabeth/Midtown Whole Foods.

The press release is just standard corporate procedure, denying the validity of something that was leaked. South End Publix is a reality.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry about parroting the Observer but they report that A Southern Season (of Chapel Hill) is looking for a Charlotte locaiton in "either Myers Park or Southpark." They said they hoped to be here already but “Publix and Harris Teeter are busy buying everything in sight." They also have some bizzare site requirements (sounds like they are working to hard to match their Chapel Hill location which is in the former Belk's space in University Mall).

They will be a very nice addition to the upscale grocery market here. Southern Season is not really a grocery store (you can't get all of your daily staples there), more of a speacialty gourmet place (specialty meats and cheeses etc). They also have a spectacular cafe in the Chapel Hill location.

EDIT: forgot the link: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2012/12/14/3726126/southern-season-looking-at-charlotte.html

Edited by kermit

• 1 month later...

I think I have uncovered another Walmart Neighborhood Market in Charlotte. It's location is off of E W.T. Harris, close to the intersection of Albemarle road. Here's a map:

http://goo.gl/maps/GEsFE

If you look up the parcel number of this location, you'll see that the owner of this site is Walmart, and the number used for the project is 4148, which is incidentally one digit lower than the new Independence Blvd location. I should also note that this parcel was once used as a movie theater, but was demo'd sometime in the 2000s.

Makes me wonder what other sites in Charlotte Walmart has acquired for their neighborhood stores.

Did we discuss the Publix that is planned for Cornelius?  I just found out about it today while eating with some friends in Davidson.  Here is the link:

http://corneliustoday.com/index.php/97-featuredarticles/542-publix-will-build-at-magnolia-plaza-according-to-bv-belk

That makes three in NC.  Ballantyne, South End and Cornelius. 

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is the Charlotte thread but I thought some of y'all may be interested in this as well. The Triangle is also a buzz about Publix so I was able to find the only recent article on Triangle market shares for grocery stores I have ever found lol. I rounded up/down the market share percentages and sales, for the exact figures refer to the article:

Here are the top 5 for fiscal year 2011:

1. Wal-Mart: 23% of market, 24 stores in area, 1.06 billion sales in market

2. Food Lion: 19% of market, 85 stores in area, 888 million sales in market

3. Harris Teeter: 16% of market, 35 stores in area, 728 million sales in market

4. Kroger: 9% of market, 16 stores in area, 421 million sales in market

5. Lowes Foods: 6% of market, 21 stores in area, 250 million sales in market

for the complete list:

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2012/12/04/triangles-top-grocery-stores-by.html

I'm personally rather suprised Kroger (9.2%) is ahead of Lowes Foods (5.5%) in the Triangle, it looks like Lowes Foods has more stores but Kroger has a higher sales volume. Also note the Teeter doesnt have quite the stranglehold on the area as Charlotte. I predict there will be a bit of a shakeup as Publix expands into the region....although I'm sure the Top 3 will be safe one has to wonder about numbers 4 and 5 on the list...

Edited by NCMike1981

Publix is entering the Charlotte market. They plan to have a store at Providence Road West and Johnston Road, in Ballantyne.http://www.wbtv.com/...e-in-ballantyne

Construction bids for this go out February 18th. The renderings look pretty nice. LS3P is the architect.

Edited by gman430
  • Like 1