Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

Per the WSJ, Harris Teeter is considering a sale of the company: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324196204578300363998148432.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

No account, so googled, see here, it does mention Publix, though only really as a mention.  Two things piss me off, one, too tired of local companies selling out of state, two, Walmart, really?  How the hell do they continue to do what they do, have we all not began to learn they are a macro-economic poison?  HT sounds tired, like they're quitting, they need to grow some brass and fight.  And I'd like to see more citizens fighting Walmart, I get it, they're cheaper, sometimes you do what you must, but there is a long-term, clearly, long after the short-term, that must be considered, or all is for naught.

No account, so googled, see here, it does mention Publix, though only really as a mention. Two things piss me off, one, too tired of local companies selling out of state, two, Walmart, really? How the hell do they continue to do what they do, have we all not began to learn they are a macro-economic poison? HT sounds tired, like they're quitting, they need to grow some brass and fight. And I'd like to see more citizens fighting Walmart, I get it, they're cheaper, sometimes you do what you must, but there is a long-term, clearly, long after the short-term, that must be considered, or all is for naught.

Walmart also has its negatives. You have to fight like heck to find parking and the cash register lines are always long, even the self checkout lines. But i guess there just isn't room for a lot of grocery chains in a given area. It's all about the Walmarts, Costcos, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's ect. Lowes Foods and even Food Lion should be on edge as well. But I've noticed that a lot of Food Lions are in lower income areas. But lately here Walmart has been beating Food Lion with lower prices.

Edited by cityboi

^ I dunno. Its hard to imagine HT having strong growth prospects at any point in the foreseeable future. Any capital budget they have will likely be consumed by store refurbs to maintain its foothold vs Publix throughout NC (and soon VA and DC). Since HT has already been bested by Publix to the South and expansion to the North of Maryland will run into Wegmans they really have no place to go (demographics to the West can't support Teeter outside of a small handfull of markets)

While I think they can survive against Publix, I would guess that their futrue growth prospects are very limited. I think their value as an acquisition will never be higher than it is now (before Publix becomes a direct competitor in HT's core market).

Having said that, I _really_ don't want to see HT turned into part of the Kroger empire (or anybody else, I am kinda attached to the Teeter)

EDIT: The market is currently valuing HT at roughly $10 million per store (if my math is correct). Based on CBJ articles on Publix that is close to what Publix is paying for its new NC stores. I suspect the only judgement call for Publix would be how badly they want HT's smaller town outlets (e.g. Shelby)

Edited by kermit

I was rather suprised to hear of this rumor myself. I always thought that the next grocery store chain to exit NC would be either Lowes Foods (which I've always pictured as being bought out by another chain and closing completely) or Kroger (who I figured would sell their remaining 14 Triangle stores to another chain, such as Publix or Harris Teeter). Harris Teeter has such a stronghold in the urban/suburban parts of the state it's hard to imagine them ceasing to exist. Seriously though Lowes Foods outlasting Harris Teeter?! It's almost mind boggling lol.

What about a chain like Giant Eagle? Adjacent, dedicated footprints. In any event, I could see a bidding war between Kroger and Publix. 

Lord, just browsed http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_supermarket_chains_in_the_United_States. For all of the wonderful things I've heard about Wegmans, they have a paltry 85 stores. Winn-Dixie, which I thought had all but disappeared, still has 485 stores. Screw it, I just want to buy bananas. 

Edited by tozmervo

I'd perfer Wegman to try to buy HT, I've been to a one in the DC area and I love it! HT even have stores there and the locals said it above HT in everything and I agree. Well I'm a coupon user, if HT does get bought out, couponers are going to have to see if the new owners will keep the same policy, if not all the shoppers will go to Publix or Bi-Lo. 

One problem with that article - we never should assume writers have expertise in subject matters far from their own:

"I think it is a sign of better economic times," he said. "Usually, you see mergers and acquisitions tail off when the economy is sour, and everyone is on edge and not really knowing what the economic future holds."

This is not the strategy nor thinking of top investors and businesspeople.  The worst of economic times see "winners" in acquisitions, not the opposite.  I really hope this is a gamble for investment, but not change of ownership, which is really to say an infusion of cash for expansion.  At least I hope there are some wily people at HT thinking such.  A few posts above have indicated "superior competition", but not the case everywhere, Lowes does not compare to HT upgraded stores, nor much of anything else we have locally, NC being the relevant market in my mind.  Elsewhere (eg DC), maybe, they will need capital to address that issue.

I don't want to lose HT, but if is sold, please let it not be Kroger or Publix.  Kroger because they're awful, Publix because I hate Florida and the company name.  What I would welcome (which will never happen) would be for Safeway to buy the chain and do what it did in DFW--keep the local brand.  Safeway owns Tom Thumb there and has kept the TT brand for the Texas market.

I heard a report today that there are a few private equity firms that have expressed interest in Harris Teeter. To me this may be a good option if they do decide to sell -- of course this may depend on the firm that would buy. If anyone noticed, Warren Buffett and his firm announced they bought Heinz (a company that's been around longer than HT). The brand will stay and keep its headquarters in Pittsburgh. 

If indeed Resistance Is Futile, here's a little something to let you know that Lakeland-based Publix really isn't so awful - it's employee-owned and family-controlled and, as they did in our little neighborhood here in Orlando, are famous for respecting the wishes of the neighbors when possible (in this case, when they replaced our small 1960's store, kept the Village Publix format complete with the original neon "wings"):

Best wishes from Orlando!

Edited by spenser1058