Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

I don't want to lose HT, but if is sold, please let it not be Kroger or Publix.  Kroger because they're awful, Publix because I hate Florida and the company name.  What I would welcome (which will never happen) would be for Safeway to buy the chain and do what it did in DFW--keep the local brand.  Safeway owns Tom Thumb there and has kept the TT brand for the Texas market.

I don't want to lose HT, but if is sold, please let it not be Kroger or Publix.  Kroger because they're awful, Publix because I hate Florida and the company name.  What I would welcome (which will never happen) would be for Safeway to buy the chain and do what it did in DFW--keep the local brand.  Safeway owns Tom Thumb there and has kept the TT brand for the Texas market.

WWHellNo.jpg

They bought Genuardi's in Philly, and it went downhill fast.  Now they are closing G's left and right to Giant, which is, sadly, an improvement.

• Like 1

Why I love the Teeter:

-they allow you to use both a digital coupon loaded onto your vic card AND a paper coupon (which doubles if 99 cents or less) on a single item (aka stacking) which leads to some great deals especially if the item in question is B1G1

-they double coupons up to 99 cents everyday

-every few weeks they have super doubles where they double coupons up to $2 in face value (aka a $2 coupon is worth $4)...

-every few months they triple coupons up to 99 cents in face value

-they offer buy 2 get 3 free items almost every week, a great way to stock up on things like soup, canned vegetables, juice etc

-every Saturday and Sunday they offer evic specials for one day only where a particular item is on sale for like half off or a little more on avg for that day only (like a doorbuster)

Sure their regular price items are pricey but if u know how to shop there you will get a ton of great deals....I have yet to find another grocery store that offers such great value. Hopefully if Harris Teeter gets bought out they will keep their name and it will be business as usual....

Edited by NCMike1981

I didn't say I wanted it to happen, just that if it does, Tom Thumb stores are pretty nice.  If I had my choice of a sale, I'd love for H.E.B. to be the winning bidder and rebrand HT as Central Market.  Now those are some kick-ass grocery stores. They're like a Whole Foods that also sell Diet Coke and comes without the attitude.

WWHellNo.jpg

They bought Genuardi's in Philly, and it went downhill fast.  Now they are closing G's left and right to Giant, which is, sadly, an improvement.

Edited by Miesian Corners

Why I love the Teeter:

-they allow you to use both a digital coupon loaded onto your vic card AND a paper coupon (which doubles if 99 cents or less) on a single item (aka stacking) which leads to some great deals especially if the item in question is B1G1

-they double coupons up to 99 cents everyday

-every few weeks they have super doubles where they double coupons up to $2 in face value (aka a $2 coupon is worth $4)...

-every few months they triple coupons up to 99 cents in face value

-they offer buy 2 get 3 free items almost every week, a great way to stock up on things like soup, canned vegetables, juice etc

-every Saturday and Sunday they offer evic specials for one day only where a particular item is on sale for like half off or a little more on avg for that day only (like a doorbuster)

Sure their regular price items are pricey but if u know how to shop there you will get a ton of great deals....I have yet to find another grocery store that offers such great value. Hopefully if Harris Teeter gets bought out they will keep their name and it will be business as usual....

See, this is exactly what I dislike about Teeter. I loath playing those kinds of games so a can of corn doesn't cost me $4. 

See, this is exactly what I dislike about Teeter. I loath playing those kinds of games so a can of corn doesn't cost me $4. 

But see the thing is when you take advantage of the specials you are getting alot of things free or at a very low cost. You end up paying much less for those items then you would at say Wal-Mart or Food Lion. I know couponing and following sales isn't for everyone but once you start it's pretty cool. I used to get alot of store brands to try and save a few bucks here and there but b/c of the specials/HT coupon policy I'm able to get more name brand stuff b/c of the $$ I'm saving...not to mention keeping my cabinets and freezer better stocked...and this is going to "the expensive grocery store". Sure I still go to other stores for some items but I no longer do all my grocery shopping at the dreaded Wal-Mart since I've discovered how to play the Teeter system. My Grandmother would be so proud LOL.

Edited by NCMike1981

I love HT's coupon policy and its customer service. The closest one to me is the Plaza-Midwood one, b/c it's closed for construction and being replaced, they have been sending me four monthly coupons for the 3 nearest location for being an inconvenience off my total purchase. Also during this past holiday shopping season, I didn't grocery shop much b/c I was too busy to grocery shop and I had no need to plan for holiday dinners b/c I knew I'll be out of town, and it sent me another separate set of coupons off my total purchase asking why has my shopping has ceased. I don't think any other grocery stores will make that effort to keep their loyal customers.  

• Like 1

According to Bloomberg, Ahold, the owner of Stop & Shop is the one interested in buy Harris Teeter. They operated under the name Giant in the DC area when I lived there and I used to HATE their stores. They were ugly, smelled funny, and looked cheap. If they do indeed buy HT, I hope they keep the HT brand. They operate several brands, so I imagine they will not change the name.

Since Publix' strategy is generally to enter new markets one state at a time, if they were to purchase the Teeter and then sell off the non-NC stores, I wonder if it becomes doable. Suffice it to say that I've been asking around among the Publix folks here in Orlando and word is Publix is serious about a possible purchase. As for the spokeswoman who suggested that Publix prefers to grow organically rather than purchasing: yes, but... Publix first became a serious chain in the 40s by purchasing All-American Stores, then purchased several Food Fair stores to enter south Florida in the 60s, and bought a handful of Florida Choice stores in the 80s as Kroger exited the state. Most recently, they bought more than 50 Albertsons to enter the Nashville market and to shore up their position in SW Florida/the Panhandle/Mobile. So it's not like this is totally foreign to their nature. 

This is going to get interesting, I think.

While I agree in the sense that it makes the overall acquisition more feasible, it wouldn't make sense to flip out of VA/DC when that's their next target market. They would be giving up very strong locations that they would ultimately have to compete with. I think it would be all or nothing, and besides the fact that Publix has a giant pile of cash, they've indicated that they really don't have an interest in acquiring HT. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I recently returned from a work trip to Florida.  I honestly don't understand why people rave about Publix.  The one thing I'll give them is that they understand and know how to build urban stores (although the one in South End looks to be typical suburban schlock, but that might have more to do with crappy Charlotte zoning enforcement than anything else).  Now get H.E.B. in here and build some of their Central Market stores and I'll get excited.  Publix, meh.  Besides, it's really a horrible name for a grocery store. 

In June of 2011 I went into a Publix in Florida (New Smyrna Beach) and to me the store reminded me of a morph between a Kroger and a Harris Teeter. I wasn't blown away by Publix but between them and Winn Dixie I'd probably shop at Publix if I lived in Florida.

post-3026-0-61248900-1364909122_thumb.jp

Edited by NCMike1981