Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

God, I hope it isn't Safeway or SuperValu.

I have never been in a SuperValu, but Safeway is indeed terrible. I used to avoid them when I lived in Maryland because they were all terrible. The other option was Giant though and they were no better. I did most of my shopping at Whole Foods because the other stores up there were so bad.

• 5 weeks later...

The Myers Park Harris Teeter is closing June 4.  They are saying that the new store will open in November.  As far along as the new store appears to be, I am surprised that they think it will take 5+ months.  

It amazes me that the HT in Plaza Midwood could look so good, yet the Myers Park store look so lousy.  The Providence Road facade looks like a weird brick spaceship landed there.  

Can anyone get a picture for us out of towners?

It amazes me that the HT in Plaza Midwood could look so good, yet the Myers Park store look so lousy.  The Providence Road facade looks like a weird brick spaceship landed there.  

It doesn't really bother me. Its much more conservative, fitting the neighborhood, but my eye is drawn to the 2nd floor patio where I think those trellises and whatnot look pretty good. Maybe there will be some ivy breaking up the 1st floor brick when they're done. The Plaza side of the PM store is also a wall of brick, but understandable of course when we're talking about a large grocery store. 

• 2 weeks later...

Heavy dirt moving underway at the Publix Southend site.  This one appears to be a "go".  BTW, does anyone have any idea on how they are going to build this thing?  I was riding the light rail last night looking at the site.  It'll be a nasty eyesore for people on the train or living in the apartments if their view is the backside of a normal grocery store.

Edited by ah59396

I was walking down the trail the other night and thought the same thing.  I'm hoping for some sort of crossing for those in the Ashton, Spectrum and Junction so that they could walk right from the trail into a back entrance to Publix.  I know the train is really speeding by at that point but maybe an elevated crossing would work? 

Heavy dirt moving underway at the Publix Southend site.  This one appears to be a "go".  BTW, does anyone have any idea on how they are going to build this thing?  I was riding the light rail last night looking at the site.  It'll be a nasty eyesore for people on the train or living in the apartments if their view is the backside of a normal grocery store.

I'm waiting on renderings from a friend at CCCP (Союз Советских Социалистических Республик) I will remind them today. It should be pretty conscious towards the lightrail, it kind of has to.

I was walking down the trail the other night and thought the same thing.  I'm hoping for some sort of crossing for those in the Ashton, Spectrum and Junction so that they could walk right from the trail into a back entrance to Publix.  I know the train is really speeding by at that point but maybe an elevated crossing would work? 

That's a great idea.  An appropriately designed peddy bridge over the light rail.  Maybe the apartment complex and Publix could share in the building with the city to keep costs low.  I mean, it would benefit both parties immensely.

The issue is that none of this property is publicly owed, therefore this would need to be a private-partnership between Spectrum and Publix/Camden property owners. SENA has already reached-out to both parties in attempt to initiate a conversation for a collaborate on building a solution, perhaps with a little help/incentive from CCP and the neighborhood partners.

No update as of yet though

• 2 weeks later...

The Plaza Midwood Harris Teeter is busy busy, I would walk to it if I was in walking distance, if you're driving you'll have to hunt for a parking spot and the street parking is full too. Otherwise, the experience is pretty good, the layout isn't confusing at all. The second floor is for dining only. 

• 2 weeks later...

All the activity on the boards surrounding the South End Publix got me thinking that there was so much buzz about potential locations and Ballantyne and South End came out pretty close to one another, and then there was the article about the Cornelius location and now Mint Hill, but we're still only at 2 confirmed stores and not a lot of new rumors. Anyone hearing any other locations that may be close to becoming official?

All the activity on the boards surrounding the South End Publix got me thinking that there was so much buzz about potential locations and Ballantyne and South End came out pretty close to one another, and then there was the article about the Cornelius location and now Mint Hill, but we're still only at 2 confirmed stores and not a lot of new rumors. Anyone hearing any other locations that may be close to becoming official?

I heard a Rumor that Publix would anchor a space in Northern Downtown, possibly at the base of Grubb's office tower. 

I had heard a rumor a few weeks ago that Publix had bought Magnolia Plaza Shopping Center in Cornelius and planned to put a store here. This would be right across Catawba Ave. from the entrance to The Peninsula neighborhood. Today's Observer seems to support that rumor with some details that were new to me...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/17/4112823/cornelius-merchants-say-they-must.html

I heard a Rumor that Publix would anchor a space in Northern Downtown, possibly at the base of Grubb's office tower. 

Remind me where Grubb's office tower will be located?

Tryon and 10th. Same Block as Sky House

I had heard a rumor a few weeks ago that Publix had bought Magnolia Plaza Shopping Center in Cornelius and planned to put a store here. This would be right across Catawba Ave. from the entrance to The Peninsula neighborhood. Today's Observer seems to support that rumor with some details that were new to me...

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/06/17/4112823/cornelius-merchants-say-they-must.html

Remind me where Grubb's office tower will be located?

• 2 weeks later...

Kroger and Harris Teeter Announce Definitive Merger Agreement
Adds Exceptional Brand with Complementary Footprint of 212 Stores in High-Growth Markets and Transaction is Accretive to Kroger Earnings Per Diluted Share in Year One

Harris Teeter Shareholders to Receive $49.38 Per Share in Cash;
Transaction Valued at Approximately $2.5 Billion