Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

I shopped at Kroger when I lived in Savannah...in my area at least, they were fine. Almost as nice as Publix and a lot cheaper. Won't they still use the same distribution centers and everything after they assume ownership? Someone with more knowledge in these kinds of things feel free to chime in, but I am not feeling like we're going to see much of a change here. They know that in areas where HT is, they tend to be popular in the mid-high end market, and know that they'll lose those customers instantly to Publix or Lowes Foods, depending on area, if there is a perceived dip in quality. 

Since their parent company was in Matthews, at least Charlotte didn't lose a corporate headquarters today. I wonder how many Matthews employees will get the ax. Would Kroger ever move their HQ to Charlotte?

Isn't Kroger HQ'ed in Cincinnati? I bet they would love it if we snagged another one of their corporations. :)

• Like 1

I've said it before in this thread, but in the Raleigh suburbs for example, even Food Lions are not that bad, and are built in nice areas with a few new or renovated ones that are on par with some of our Harris Teeters. With so much variance in that brand, I see no reason that the same wouldn't exist in Kroger vs. Kroger-owned Harris Teeters.

I wonder if this will have an impact on seeing more urban style Teeter's in the future like the Plaza Midwood location for example. While Kroger does have a few urban stores, they certainly aren't anywhere near as flexible as HT is when you look at what HT has done in places like DC. 

^ one of the stories I saw yesterday mentioned that Kroger was particularly interested in learning about HT's strategies for urban store development (umm, OK) and online shopping (i don't use it much but IMO HT does a good job with their model).

I'll try and find a source, I think the statement came from the conference call.

While its not a surprise that HT has land banked quite a few sites inside 485 its an interesting article anyway.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/07/harris-teeter-sites-could-come-into.html

Since they are a much larger company that HT I can't see Kroger making an effort to keep Charlotte as a fortress market -- does anyone think that it makes sense for Kroger to add stores (of either brand) in Charlotte?

Edited by kermit

Rumor has it they are shopping their biggest market (Atlanta) for the HQ move.  This is a bad day for Charlotte.  Kroger blows.

I wonder if this might change now that Kroger owns HT. With their HT HQ slated to stay put, and with mentions from Kroger execs about knowing HT execs etc, does this put Charlotte into the relocation conversation? Depending on how far along any plans to move the HQ might be, I would think Charlotte would at least be worth looking at if they are considering Atlanta...

Rumor has it that Kroger will probably keep all the NC stores as Harris Teeter but may end up having to sell off the Kroger stores the chain still has in the Triangle (14 locations in Durham and Wake Counties) by the feds (sort of like when the parent of Food Lion bought out Hannaford around 2000). Apparantely the new Kroger/Teeter combo would be #1 in market share in the Triangle if they are allowed to continue operating both Kroger (currently #4) and Harris Teeter (currently #3) stores in the area. RDU is one of only 4 regions in the country with overlapping Teeter/Kroger stores, the other regions being Charlottesville and VA Beach in VA and Nashville, TN. Will be interesting to see how this all plays out....I'm personally just hoping they allow Harris Teeter to keep it's generous coupon policy :-/

I loathe Walmart but I just noticed a permit for a sketch plan for a Walmart Neighborhood Market at 3905 Concord Parkway S which is just slightly north of CMS in Concord. I know it isn't technically Charlotte but I don't think there are many of these things around the metro?

Are these things going to start popping up all over the place and strangle the market? I find the placement of this extremely odd since there is already a Walmart on Concord Parkway/Hwy 29 near S&D and then the new one by Concord Mills (3.1 miles and 4.9 miles respectively).

I loathe Walmart but I just noticed a permit for a sketch plan for a Walmart Neighborhood Market at 3905 Concord Parkway S which is just slightly north of CMS in Concord. I know it isn't technically Charlotte but I don't think there are many of these things around the metro?

Are these things going to start popping up all over the place and strangle the market? I find the placement of this extremely odd since there is already a Walmart on Concord Parkway/Hwy 29 near S&D and then the new one by Concord Mills (3.1 miles and 4.9 miles respectively).

There are several planned for NC. Right now the only one in Charlotte is on Independence. There are two Supercenters within a few miles of this location.

I heard another Walmart Neighborhood Market is planned for WT Harris just south of Albemarle, which is not far from the existing Walmart Neighborhood Market on Independence at Village Lake.

Yeah, there's talks of building one just south of the Walgreens on Harris Blvd, where an old movie theater once stood, and on the southern parcel where a skating rink use to be. It's interesting though that the project is listed as a "supercenter" in Virtual Charlotte, and not a neighborhood market, a name used to describe Walmart grocery stores. No way could that small area support a supercenter, let along a normal size Walmart, so I think it's just an error. The project will supposedly start beginning of next month, and finish by June of next year.

https://aca.accela.com/charlotte/Cap/CapDetail.aspx?Module=LandDevelopment&TabName=LandDevelopment&capID1=13LDC&capID2=00000&capID3=00086

Wow, to follow up with my last post, I ran across another site that is slated to become a Walmart Neighborhood Market, also in East Charlotte:

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=Project&PosseObjectId=75970627

http://goo.gl/maps/SfpBH

This location is where a Compare Foods is, and was once a Winn Dixie in the past. Looks like Walmart wants to carve a niche out of East Charlotte, and looks like they're creeping their way up Harris Blvd. Makes me wonder if they'll ever try to hit the more mid/high-income areas with their stores, like with some of their stores in Cary.

^Apparently as they are diving right in on the Philanthropy as well:  Publix pledges free food to non profit group.

They are giving a truckload of food a month to Loaves & Fishes with a guarantee of a year of the donations.  The first truckload was apparently 33 tons of food.

Edited by Urbanity

Looks like a Whole Foods is heading to the Lake Norman area.  No word yet on it's location, but the only major projects really going up right now would be Bryton in Huntersville, Langtree in Mooresville, or Antiquity in Cornelius.  My guess is Langtree as it fits the demographics more.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/08/01/4207072/whole-foods-to-open-lake-norman.html

I heard something about it coming to Mooresville today. However if that's true, there are plenty of locations closer to that demographic in western Mooresville than Langtree. Now they could also target cornelius and davidson with a langtree store, but i figure most people would rather not hop on/off the interstate for groceries.