Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

GSO would be the central point to our major metros, more than that sounds like Publix is really focusing on entering NC.  Odd they didn't just buy HT and make that effort much easier, I know the party line of not acquiring, growing from within rhetoric, but business is business.  That or I'm reading this smaller than it is and the dist center is for the southeast/mid-Atlantic.

^ I am guessing that the new Publix distribution center will be sized and oriented to service stores in the northern 1/2 of SC, all of NC and an eventually Virginia.

I agree, issues of culture aside, a Publix purchase of HT certainly did make sense.

Edited by kermit

Off topic a little, but any thoughts at what is going to anchor Huntersville Market at the intersection of Prosperity Church and Eastfield?  It will be across from the street from 201 Central and only a block from a BiLo/new 485 interchange and another to HT.  Preliminary site work has already begun but I haven't heard a word about the anchor, just Walgreens and Novant health so far.

The anchor space is listed as Grocery/retail 60,000sf; but with a name like "Market," I'd assume grocery.

Site brochure

• 1 month later...

Whole Foods is coming to Huntersville at Exit 25.   I am assuming they are going to do some drastic remodeling, as Northcross Commons (the center where the Bojangles and Food Lion are just as you get off the exit), is horribly outdated.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/09/whole-foods-to-take-food-lion-space-at.html

I heard the rumor that Whole Foods was looking on 25.  Thought the old Lowes Foods was the more likely option.  But I wasn't aware of Food Lion's plan to close that store.  Hopefully they don't raise the lease on La Unica and force them out!  Great lunch spot so close to my office.

We def. don't want to lose La Unica...a great Mexican Restaurant. I had heard they looked at the former Birkdale Fitness location, and to be honest I'm surprised they didn't take that. Lowe's old location was never a possibiliy...HT bought that and closed it and I'm sure have no intentions of ever selling to any competitor.

Here's the list:

• 8120 S. Tryon Street, Charlotte, NC
  • 12810 York Road, Charlotte, NC
  • 9815 Rose Commons Drive, Huntersville, NC
  • 158 Hwy. 274, Lake Wylie, SC
  • Fincher Farm Rd, Matthews, NC
  • 1735 Heckle Blvd., Rock Hill, SC
  • 2186 Cherry Rd, Rock Hill, SC

http://www.publix.com/about/newsroom/NewsReleaseItem.do?newsReleaseItemPK=6477

The Publix non-acquistion narrative is (kinda) over. CBJ reports (via twitter) that they have purchased 7 Bilo store in CLT.

That's an interesting meme that just refuses to die. Mr. George initially grew Publix through the purchase of All-American Stores, a small local chain in central Florida. They entered the south Florida market through the purchase of a few stores from Food Fair/Pantry Pride. Later, as Kroger exited Florida, Publix picked up quite a few of the Florida Choice stores. Most recently, of course, Publix entered the Nashville market and then followed up with close to 50 Florida stores, all of which had been branded Albertsons. Nevertheless, the "Publix doesn't buy stores" rumor goes on. What IS true is that, unlike Winn-Dixie, for example, they rarely purchase stores intact and just change the name outside. Generally, significant remodeling of the stores goes on and the employees have to reapply to work there to ensure they meet the quality standards of Publix associates.

Edited by spenser1058

Off topic a little, but any thoughts at what is going to anchor Huntersville Market at the intersection of Prosperity Church and Eastfield?  It will be across from the street from 201 Central and only a block from a BiLo/new 485 interchange and another to HT.  Preliminary site work has already begun but I haven't heard a word about the anchor, just Walgreens and Novant health so far.

The anchor space is listed as Grocery/retail 60,000sf; but with a name like "Market," I'd assume grocery.

Site brochure

Personally, I would love to see Publix in this space.  There are really not a lot options to HT in this area other than Aldi, which really is a different category of store, and a Bi-Lo, which is alright, but has seen better days.  If anyone has any connections at Cambridge Properties, give us the scoop.

Whole Foods is coming to Huntersville at Exit 25.   I am assuming they are going to do some drastic remodeling, as Northcross Commons (the center where the Bojangles and Food Lion are just as you get off the exit), is horribly outdated.

http://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2013/09/whole-foods-to-take-food-lion-space-at.html

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/09/17/4321379/whole-foods-opening-huntersville.html#.UjnAPMaKIpg

Whole Foods is opening in Huntersville.  Surprised no one posted this

• 1 month later...