Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

• 2 weeks later...

With Ahold merging with Delhaize (the parent company of Food Lion), what are the chances of Food Lion being rebranded? It seems like Food Lion's market share is slowly slipping away, especially with Walmart and discount supermarkets slowly making a presence in Charlotte. Charlotte has a huge transplant population, so would rebranding Food Lion as one of Ahold's other brands, like Giant or Stop and Shop, be a wise move?

I don't know how they are doing in general, but in the CLT Market they actually improved their market share last year. http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article17232803.html

I doubt rebranding would do much - I think a much more effective strategy would be some basic renovations to keep their stores from completely disintegrating. (PLAZA STORE REMODEL PLZ)

I know this is all in the past, but it still baffles me to this day that they spent tons of cash to DOWNGRADE all of the former Blooms to match the Food Lion model.  I used to live next to the Bloom in University while in college.  When they switched it to a Food Lion it was night and day.  The Bloom was actually nice inside and was a great shopping experience on par with Harris Teeter.  After the remodel, the Food Lion made me feel like I was shopping at a store that was straight out of the 80's in terms of layout, design, AND cleanliness.  It's like they intentionally wanted to make it less pleasurable to shop there.  I went from walking to the grocery store (in the matter of a couple minutes) to driving two miles on Tryon, Harris, and UCBlvd, in UCity traffic just to go to the Harris Teeter on the other side of campus.  It was worth it...

Walmart Neighborhood is specifically targeting Food Lion in the Carolinas and it'll lead to a slow death for Food Lion. I never realized until recently but if you look at Publix coming in and competing with Teeter, it's been difficult because of how well located the Teeter stores are. But if you look at Food Lion and Walmart Neighborhood coming in, it's been extremely easy because of how poorly located Food Lion stores are.

I am still deeply saddened at the changover from Bloom to Food Lion. Bloom was great! Loved the selection, the prices, and the service. Everyone who worked there was knowledgeable and friendly. Stores were super clean. The double coupons were awesome. I wonder if Food Lion is begining to regret their decision to close Bloom now that Whole Foods and Publix are both expanding in Charlotte. Food Lion really does not compete with either, let alone Teeter. I want to shop at Food Lion, but the stores are nasty...

Continuation from Tuesday's post, but Lidl is looking at three other locations for stores, with anticipation of opening their first in 2018.  Southend, Mooresville, Indian Land and Monroe have all been scouted.   In Southend, they plan on demolishing the building located at 3229 South blvd (believe this was speculated a few months ago).

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article34643982.html

Edited by rjp212

Continuation from Tuesday's post, but Lidl is looking at three other locations for stores, with anticipation of opening their first in 2018.  Southend, Mooresville, Indian Land and Monroe have all been scouted.   In Southend, they plan on demolishing the building located at 3229 South blvd (believe this was speculated a few months ago).

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article34643982.html

LOL, we reported the SouthEnd one maybe a year ago. It wasn't speculation, it was a confirmed fact :-). 

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Now confirmed that Wegmans is coming to Cary, hopefully its just a matter of time before they make it here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2016/01/wegmans-confirms-plans-to-expand-into-north.html?ana=e_trig_bn_newsalert&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1453241038

Its getting to be a very crowded grocery market. I would guess the former owners of Teeter feel pretty good about their decision to sell out.

EDIT: Does Wegmans have an urban model store? The only ones I have ever seen are suburban behemoths.

Edited by kermit

4 hours ago, kermit said:

Now confirmed that Wegmans is coming to Cary, hopefully its just a matter of time before they make it here.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/blog/real-estate/2016/01/wegmans-confirms-plans-to-expand-into-north.html?ana=e_trig_bn_newsalert&u=jDmEk%2BCKbYnAvaVfOFOlFGXcGSC&t=1453241038

Its getting to be a very crowded grocery market. I would guess the former owners of Teeter feel pretty good about their decision to sell out.

EDIT: Does Wegmans have an urban model store? The only ones I have ever seen are suburban behemoths.

Wegman's is a top grocer, no doubt. I'm wondering if they won't be part of the redevelopment of The Colony that City Council approved tonight

But I have to say the quivering about their impending arrival in Cary is giggle-inducing.:rolleyes:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, kermit said:

This year they started the planning process on their first urban store in Boston. It should open in 2018. It will be 75,000 square feet! Wegmans store formats run 75,000 to 140,000 square feet. To put that into perspective, the flagship Harris Teeter at Morrocroft in South Park is 72,000 square feet. Harris Teeter's new "large format" in Pinehurst is 78,000 whereas Wegman's "small format" in Boston is 75,000, hahaha. The average Harris Teeter is 49,000 square feet. Most Wegmans are roughly the size of a Sam's Club or Target, so I would expect more suburban locations vs. urban. 

I believe they would need a new distribution center if they brought stores to Charlotte. Their Pottsville distribution facility is 530 miles away from Charlotte (8.5 hours) vs. 440 miles (7 hrs 10 mins) from Cary. They are pushing it even with the Cary store. For some of the competing stores:
Harris Teeter, Food Lion, and Walmart have distribution center in metro Charlotte. Publix, Whole Foods, and Trader Joe's have distribution centers about 180-220 miles away outside Atlanta. Wegmans would be by far the furthest away and most time on a truck.

Edited by CLT2014

21 hours ago, kermit said:

Cary makes perfect sense for Wegman's entry into NC.  There is a reason the backronym "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" exists.   Much more likely to hear a NY or NJ accent in Cary these days than a Southern one.

Edited by cltcane

44 minutes ago, cltcane said:

Cary makes perfect sense for Wegman's entry into NC.  There is a reason the backronym "Containment Area for Relocated Yankees" exists. Much more likely to hear a NY or NJ accent in Cary these days than a Southern one.

I grew up in Cary (not something I often like to admit) but actually think the ratio of northerners to southerners is noticeably higher here in Charlotte. I did always like that joke regardless though.

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Look for Wegmans at Crescent's site on 485/Providence. Yes. 1/4-1/2 a mile from like 8 other grocery stores. 

JUST like Cary! I swear its crazy how we get excited about a new grocery store announcement here, while there its difficult to find a 4-way street intersection without at least 2-3 corners sporting grocery stores. 

33 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Look for Wegmans at Crescent's site on 485/Providence. Yes. 1/4-1/2 a mile from like 8 other grocery stores. 

I think you mean LH's project. Crescent only has zoning for 30,000 square feet, which is the size of the shopping cart storage area at a Wegmans. 

32 minutes ago, Spartan said:

How does Wegmans compare to HT? I've never been to one, but I feel like its basically the Publix of the north, so people from up there will be as excited about that as people from south of Charlotte were about Publix.

They are reeeaalllly big. I went to the in Downingtown PA last year and was shocked at how big it was (and I frequent the Taj Mateeter).  Their beer selection was 2-3x the size of Cotswold or Taj Mateeter selection (that was basically the only reason I was there). My wife got lost in the gluten free aisle. Food stations were everywhere.  

Edit - I looked up the size of the Downingtown Wegmans....120,000sf

Edited by InSouthPark

32 minutes ago, Spartan said:

How does Wegmans compare to HT? I've never been to one, but I feel like its basically the Publix of the north, so people from up there will be as excited about that as people from south of Charlotte were about Publix.

Just humongous. And glorious. Their butcher dept is on point. I never pass by one without buying at least one beef tenderloin. The prices are very very good too.

9 minutes ago, Prodev said:

I think you mean LH's project. Crescent only has zoning for 30,000 square feet, which is the size of the shopping cart storage area at a Wegmans. 

Yes. LH Is doing Charlotte Golf Links. My bad.

52 minutes ago, nonillogical said:

I swear its crazy how we get excited about a new grocery store announcement here, while there its difficult to find a 4-way street intersection without at least 2-3 corners sporting grocery stores. 

Meh, grocery store announcements are exciting for me because they generally indicate some significant new retail investment in intown neighborhoods. It does not appear that Wegmans will bring us that. 

I am constantly amazed by how much information can be found from all of us -- thanks for all the info guys! (and ladies?)