Jump to content

Charlotte Supermarkets


monsoon

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Wegmans  needs to come further south.  They are building 6 new stores in  the Triangle:  Raleigh, Cary (2), Holly Springs, Wake Forest  and Chapel Hill. 

This one is in Richmond in Chesterfield they are such nice stores with cafes and it was really busy.  Prices are not too bad either. I went to a Wegmans up in the Philly area about 10 years ago but not one of their newer stores.   They will do well in NC but they need to move further south to Charlotte.

Wegmans based in upstate NY I think needs to expand south to find growing populations. 

 

Wegmans1.jpg

Wegmans2.jpg

Wegmans3.jpg

Wegmansfront.jpg

I struggled to keep my wife out of that store when it first opened, she loved it so much. I agree Wegmans would do well in the Charlotte Metro. The Grocery Store war being waged in NC has been largely avoided in VA. The Food Lion/ Martins merger left a void in the Richmond area with several store closures that Publix has been able to fill.

On another note, I always been curious as to why Harris Teeter doesn’t have a presence in the Richmond Metro while having locations to the north and east?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


6 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Wegmans  needs to come further south.  They are building 6 new stores in  the Triangle:  Raleigh, Cary (2), Holly Springs, Wake Forest  and Chapel Hill. 

This one is in Richmond in Chesterfield they are such nice stores with cafes and it was really busy.  Prices are not too bad either. I went to a Wegmans up in the Philly area about 10 years ago but not one of their newer stores.   They will do well in NC but they need to move further south to Charlotte.

Wegmans based in upstate NY I think needs to expand south to find growing populations. 

 

Wegmans1.jpg

Wegmans2.jpg

Wegmans3.jpg

Wegmansfront.jpg

I've been to the one in Leesburg, VA and was blown away!  I am looking forward to when they do enter the market here in Charlotte.  It is only a matter of time.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Seaboard Fellow said:

I struggled to keep my wife out of that store when it first opened, she loved it so much. I agree Wegmans would do well in the Charlotte Metro. The Grocery Store war being waged in NC has been largely avoided in VA. The Food Lion/ Martins merger left a void in the Richmond area with several store closures that Publix has been able to fill.

On another note, I always been curious as to why Harris Teeter doesn’t have a presence in the Richmond Metro while having locations to the north and east?

Yes Wegmans is great and I do think they will be coming to Charlotte.  Raleigh is a very competitive market for groceries too.  Ukrops the local based Richmond grocer sold its stores to Kroger and because Ukrops and Harris Teeter years ago were both family owned privately own they had an agreement to stay out of each other's way.  That is why Harris Teeter leapfrogged over Richmond to Northern VA and DC area.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 7/27/2019 at 4:16 PM, kermit said:

So is shucking your corn in the store a new thing? I _never_ remember this happening until 4-5 years ago. 

Seems kinda silly (and messy) to me.....

Its been in Harris Teeter for 15+ years but the box is usually only out for like a month (at least at my Teeter).  And yes I agree too...lets mess up a public grocery store with slippery corn silk instead of our own kitchen!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/27/2019 at 4:16 PM, kermit said:

So is shucking your corn in the store a new thing? I _never_ remember this happening until 4-5 years ago. 

Seems kinda silly (and messy) to me.....

It's common at least in my old grocery stores in Michigan. Not sure if it's a regional thing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So with this announcement that a grocery store wants to locate in Ballantyne one wonders if it is not Wegmans.  There is a Harris Teeter within Ballantyne now and Publix right south on 521 and other Harris Teeters all around. Possibly another Whole Foods but would not this be a spectacular location for Wegmans to enter the market.  They will be opening the first of 6 stores in the Raleigh Cary Chapel Hill area this fall.  They mentioned this grocery store site would be Community House Road further from the new mixed used higher density.  My bet it could be Wegmans and boy would this be a great location.

from business journal article about Ballantyne rezoning

""Barton declined to name any grocers the firm is in discussions with but said, if approved, the store would be built on the eastern side of North Community House Road, away from the core of the redevelopment so as to mitigate traffic impact. But developing a grocery store as part of the project is consistent with the vision of Ballantyne Reimagined, Barton added. Existing grocers in the greater Ballantyne area include Harris Teeter, Publix and Sprouts Farmers Market. ""

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Wegmans is opening their first NC store next  weekend in Raleigh.  One of 6 for the market and this TBJ article gives us an idea of what they are looking for.  I think it is a matter of WHEN they arrive in Charlotte not IF.  

""Wegmans is betting big on the Triangle as the New York-based grocery giant prepares to open its first of several locations in the region.  The grand opening for the highly-anticipated Wegmans Raleigh location -- the first of six stores planned for the region -- is set for 7 a.m. Sunday, Sept. 29, at 1200 Wake Towne Drive off Interstate 440 north of downtown.   With plans for multiple Wegmans in the Triangle, it represents a radical departure from the traditionally conservative pace at which the grocer expands.  So why the Triangle? It checks all the boxes, with the two biggest metrics being population growth and quality of education --things the Triangle has in abundance.  Colleen Wegman says higher education correlates closely with interest in food, and as a grocery store that sells higher-end food products, Wegmans is looking to invest in areas where people are willing to spend more on better food.  In addition to the full assemblage of groceries found in most 100,000-square-foot grocery stores, Wegmans also has several stations featuring perishable goods such as meats, seafood and cheese, which can often be on the pricier side due to their quality.  In addition to population growth and education, the Wegmans say this area is simply a great place to invest, with an eye for innovation, a healthy economy and a population of warm and caring people. It also helps that with a large population of northerners moving to the region the Wegmans brand is already familiar to many residents.  Colleen Wegman says this interest has carried over to hiring, with over 10,000 people applying for jobs at the new locations.  Additionally, staff from other Wegmans around the country turned out in droves to apply to relocate to the Triangle for the opportunity to be a part of the latest market. ""

I say Charlotte has all of these qualities mentioned above.  I can see a store in the Ballantyne area, northern Meck small towns aka south Lake Norman, an intown location not sure where they could fit a store like theirs, a Mint Hill Matthews store.  And possibly a York County and Cabarrus county stores as well.   https://www.bizjournals.com/triangle/news/2019/09/19/wegmans-makes-big-bet-on-the-triangle-as-raleigh.html

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Seems Wegmans was greeted HUGELY in Raleigh today 3000 shoppers first day of the first store in NC.   5 more to go in the Raleigh Cary Chapel Hill area over the next few years.

https://www.wral.com/wegmans-grand-opening-in-raleigh-on-sept-29/18639067/

will be greeted the same way when they come to Charlotte for sure.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, ChessieCat said:

Does anyone know why Ingles hasn't expanded to Charlotte yet?   Gaston county has the closest one.  

I've always been impressed with their stores in Asheville.

Ingles prefers to steer clear of large markets. They don’t have the heft necessary to compete with anybody on price and their Appalachian market area means that they can’t position themselves at the top end of any market either. Combine unfortunate market positioning with the  bleak demographic future of most of their market areas and you can see that Ingles does not have long left.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, kermit said:

Ingles prefers to steer clear of large markets. They don’t have the heft necessary to compete with anybody on price and their Appalachian market area means that they can’t position themselves at the top end of any market either. Combine unfortunate market positioning with the  bleak demographic future of most of their market areas and you can see that Ingles does not have long left.

Ingles is in the metro Atlanta market, albeit not a large footprint.  They do prefer the smaller urban markets such as Greenville and Asheville (where they are based) and then of course the more rural areas where they may be the only grocer besides Food Lion.  I think they are doing quite well though and not sure why their market areas have a bleak future - I see the opposite.   Are you saying you don't see them surviving at all or that they are a target of acquisition? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Havemercy said:

Ingles is in the metro Atlanta market, albeit not a large footprint.  They do prefer the smaller urban markets such as Greenville and Asheville (where they are based) and then of course the more rural areas where they may be the only grocer besides Food Lion.  I think they are doing quite well though and not sure why their market areas have a bleak future - I see the opposite.   Are you saying you don't see them surviving at all or that they are a target of acquisition? 

Ingles core markets in the Southern portions of the mountains will see 20+% of their  customers die off or move into assisted living over the next decade.  I cant see any chain following through on an acquisition of Ingles given those demographics. Ingles also isn't helped by their propensity for B and C locations, more than half of the strip centers they are located in appear to be moving towards the end of their lives as well.

Edited by kermit
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 2 weeks later...

Great description of the area (Jim Fallows at The Atlantic would be proud)!

In case you were wondering, here in Central Florida where they abound, we casually refer to the plural of Publix as Publii. 

It’s of course an odd name (even if it is a PLEASURE). I suppose Mr. George thought Jenkins’ didn’t have enough panache.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...

Wegmans is going over Charlotte to Atlanta?  Yes according to this tweet.  However I think they will still come here with 6 stores in development or open in the Raleigh Cary Holly Springs Wake Forest and Chapel Hill areas.   No way to completely skip the Queen City.  My bet is a Ballantyne site for their first store.

Grocerying  @Grocerying  

@Wegmans  is headed to #Atlanta as   @tonetoatlanta

reported...But where in #Charlotte should #Wegmans land? We heard they initially wanted the #HarrisTeeter site at #ReaFarms, but were outbid. The #Kmart at #TheCentrum is still vacant, isn't it?

 

>>> I still think Ballantyne first then spread further south into Union County, north to the lake, northeast to Cabarrus but I truly believe they will be in Charlotte.

they are supposedly announcing a new store across from Perimeter Mall in Atlanta which is a great site taking some vacant big box store sites.   All their NC stores opened or planned are new builds. 

 

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/4/2019 at 5:53 PM, KJHburg said:

Wegmans is going over Charlotte to Atlanta?  Yes according to this tweet.  However I think they will still come here with 6 stores in development or open in the Raleigh Cary Holly Springs Wake Forest and Chapel Hill areas.   No way to completely skip the Queen City.  My bet is a Ballantyne site for their first store.

Grocerying  @Grocerying  

@Wegmans  is headed to #Atlanta as   @tonetoatlanta

reported...But where in #Charlotte should #Wegmans land? We heard they initially wanted the #HarrisTeeter site at #ReaFarms, but were outbid. The #Kmart at #TheCentrum is still vacant, isn't it?

 

>>> I still think Ballantyne first then spread further south into Union County, north to the lake, northeast to Cabarrus but I truly believe they will be in Charlotte.

they are supposedly announcing a new store across from Perimeter Mall in Atlanta which is a great site taking some vacant big box store sites.   All their NC stores opened or planned are new builds. 

 

Well Wegman’s issued a flat denial That they were putting a store into the Perimeter Pointe shopping center near the mall in Dunwoody. The VP of Media Relations even went on to say no metro Atlanta sites are under consideration. 

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2019/11/05/wegmans-grocery-chain-denies-report-of-new-sandy-springs-store/

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sakami said:

Well Wegman’s issued a flat denial That they were putting a store into the Perimeter Pointe shopping center near the mall in Dunwoody. The VP of Media Relations even went on to say no metro Atlanta sites are under consideration. 

https://www.reporternewspapers.net/2019/11/05/wegmans-grocery-chain-denies-report-of-new-sandy-springs-store/

 

 

well good and now they can concentrate on NC and opening stores around here.   Not all you see on Twitter is truth.  It did not sound like them using existing space either as they like new builds. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is from Tomorrow News Today Atlanta version a daily email I subscribe to  about ATL development. 

Posted: 05 Nov 2019 05:54 PM PST

""We reported Monday that popular grocery store Wegmans had an LOI (letter of intent) in place for a proposed new store at Perimeter Pointe in Sandy Springs. This information was brought to us by a well respected and reliable Atlanta area real estate professional.  While it’s not uncommon for retailers, restaurants, hotels and other businesses to deny potential, or even confirmed plans they may have before they want the information out, a representative for Wegmans tells us that there is "no truth" to the “rumored” site we referenced, nor are there any plans to enter Georgia at this time.  We never want to mislead, intentionally or not, or be misled ourselves.  In the ten plus years we have been reporting on Atlanta area real estate news, we have learned that deals, leases and other transactions can go from planned, to shelved, to dead in the blink of an eye. That being said, and given the reluctance of the Wegmans rep to clearly state whether or not a Georgia expansion is on the table, we stand by our report.   The Perimeter Pointe redevelopment has been in the works for several years, and it’s unlikely that things will happen quickly.   Wegmans recent entry into the Raleigh market and reported interest in the Charlotte market give us reason to believe that where there is smoke, there is fire.  

We appreciate your continued readership. ""

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Scribe said:

Wegmans southernmost distribution center is in  Pottsville, PA ... NC is about as far south as they can cover without having another DC somewhere further south.

Given this information if Wegmans does indeed plan to enter Atlanta at some point perhaps a distribution center will be located in NC to serve our stores, VA stores and maybe even north Georgia Atlanta stores. 

Lidl and Publix both have new DCs up in Greensboro Mebane area.  Publix is still under construction on their 1 M sq ft DC. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazon is planning on opening a new brand of grocery stores, different than Whole Foods and its experimental Amazon Go stores.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/11/11/20959459/amazon-grocery-store-chain-los-angeles-woodland-hills

The first stores are coming to Los Angeles, Chicago, and Philadelphia. Price-point will be lower than Whole Foods, and it sounds like to me that this chain will directly compete with regional chains. No Charlotte stores announced, but I’m sure it’ll eventually come, especially since we already have a strong Amazon presence in the form of four Whole Foods stores and several distribution centers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.