Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

48 minutes ago, mad_park said:

What about the hole in the ground at Park & Gleneagles? 

that would make a great location for Wegmans too and Ballantyne has a site in their rezoning along Community House Road too. 

I have seen the following proposed for Dee Dee Harris's hole there:   Saks 5th Ave, Ritz Carlton, Publix etc none of which has come to fruition.  

http://www.harrisland.com/quail-hollow-village.html

• Like 3

51 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

that would make a great location for Wegmans too and Ballantyne has a site in their rezoning along Community House Road too. 

I have seen the following proposed for Dee Dee Harris's hole there:   Saks 5th Ave, Ritz Carlton, Publix etc none of which has come to fruition.  

She's going to just let it sit there until it's the last natural green space left in the city, in about 200 years, and the she'll put a walkway through it and charge admission.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, mad_park said:

What about the hole in the ground at Park & Gleneagles? 

It's not north of Fairview but would certainly fill a need for clientele in that area.  I live within a few miles of there and those Teeters (Olde Town and Quail Corners) pretty much suck and there is no competition.   I still see them going into Ballantyne first to see how they do in the market. 

1 hour ago, Madison Parkitect said:

She's going to just let it sit there until it's the last natural green space left in the city, in about 200 years, and the she'll put a walkway through it and charge admission.

She should team up with Danny Levine with a hop-on-hop-off bus tour of underutilized real estate in Charlotte.  Parking lots, derelict buildings and holes in the ground. Like the funny bus but not funny.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, QCxpat said:

Hey guys  -  I don't understand where this so-called "hole" is located?  Where's it at?

Digging Hole Images, Stock Photos & Vectors | Shutterstock

Are you referring to Marin Diehl Park on Tyvola Road?

Would very much appreciate someone clarifying it for me.  Thank you!

@QCxpat

just because I didn't see any blue text

image.thumb.png.e9e1a7630dc54c2861e7c09cf95c1b05.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, KJHburg said:

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video;_ylt=AwrJ6ylZR1lfbocA.OtXNyoA;_ylu=Y29sbwNiZjEEcG9zAzEEdnRpZANDMDY3Ml8xBHNlYwNwaXZz?p=mr.+burns+excellent&fr2=piv-web&fr=yfp-t-s#id=4&vid=8c06f9869ae84078b6246b141205c55b&action=view

• Haha 1

Here is some real good grocery news EarthFare is back!    From a Charlotte Ledger exclusive tonight.   I have said if they held on a few weeks longer they would have participated in the biggest grocery boom in the history of the USA happened in mid March. 

""Barely six months after filing for bankruptcy and closing all its locations, Earth Fare plans to re-enter the Charlotte market and open as many as five stores in the area — possibly by the end of the year.

In an interview Wednesday with The Ledger, the organic grocer’s new executive handling real estate, Roger Talley, said that Earth Fare has signed leases to reopen its old stores in Ballantyne, Fort Mill and Concord and is “absolutely interested” in reopening its location in SouthPark. It’s also scouting an undisclosed fifth Charlotte-area spot.

Covid-era turnaround: It’s a remarkable reversal of fortune for Earth Fare, made possible probably because of Covid and the hefty new profits generated by the grocery industry as more people stay home and cook. In February, the Asheville-based company said it was saddled with $65M in debt, closed all 50 of its stores and laid off nearly 3,300 workers after filing for bankruptcy protection.

But Talley, known in Charlotte as the owner of the old Talley’s Green Grocery in Dilworth (now Fresh Market on East Boulevard), started working old investor friends and former organic grocery executives in Asheville to try to buy some of the former locations. They believed that the company had run up too much debt under private-equity ownership.""

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Here is some real good grocery news EarthFare is back!    From a Charlotte Ledger exclusive tonight.   I have said if they held on a few weeks longer they would have participated in the biggest grocery boom in the history of the USA happened in mid March. 

""Barely six months after filing for bankruptcy and closing all its locations, Earth Fare plans to re-enter the Charlotte market and open as many as five stores in the area — possibly by the end of the year.

In an interview Wednesday with The Ledger, the organic grocer’s new executive handling real estate, Roger Talley, said that Earth Fare has signed leases to reopen its old stores in Ballantyne, Fort Mill and Concord and is “absolutely interested” in reopening its location in SouthPark. It’s also scouting an undisclosed fifth Charlotte-area spot.

Covid-era turnaround: It’s a remarkable reversal of fortune for Earth Fare, made possible probably because of Covid and the hefty new profits generated by the grocery industry as more people stay home and cook. In February, the Asheville-based company said it was saddled with $65M in debt, closed all 50 of its stores and laid off nearly 3,300 workers after filing for bankruptcy protection.

But Talley, known in Charlotte as the owner of the old Talley’s Green Grocery in Dilworth (now Fresh Market on East Boulevard), started working old investor friends and former organic grocery executives in Asheville to try to buy some of the former locations. They believed that the company had run up too much debt under private-equity ownership.""

The Rock Hill one is already back open, I think.

• Like 2

On 9/16/2020 at 9:18 PM, KJHburg said:

actually Earth Fare is going to reopen the Southpark store as well.  seems the only local store not opening is the newest one the one in Steele Creek. 

Wow. I am surprised.  When Whole Foods opened, that store really took a hit...and there there will be a brand new Publix opening across the street next year.   I know there will be a lot of new residents in that area soon but I can't imagine enough to overcome TajMateeter, new Publix and Whole Foods down the street.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

from the Biz Journal this morning I am opening another supermarket in the area just FYI 

""W. Lee Flowers & Co. is opening its second KJ’s Market in the Charlotte region. The South Carolina-based grocery distributor, a subsidiary of Hickory-based Alex Lee Inc., opened the neighborhood grocery store in the Belleview Square Shopping Center at 1401 E. Main St. in Rock Hill. It is on the site of a former Bi-Lo supermarket. Alex Lee bought 20 Bi-Lo stores in South Carolina and Georgia from Southeastern Grocers Inc. last month and is converting them to a mix of KJ’s Market and Lowes Food stores. The company also has a KJ’s Market in Lancaster.""

• Haha 3

Wegmans opened their first "urban format" store and it is still a huge 80,000 sq ft which is much smaller than their 125,000 sq ft on average store.  Perhaps there is hope for central intown Charlotte area store when they invariably come to town. 

From DC Biz Journal up in Tysons Corner VA

""Wegmans Food Markets Inc. will open the doors to its roughly 80,000-square-foot Tysons store next week — the first urban-format outpost for the wildly popular grocer in Greater Washington. The Wegmans at 1835 Capital One Drive South is scheduled to open 9 a.m. Wednesday. It includes a market café with a lineup of prepared foods — pizza, subs, sushi and prepackaged meals — Buzz Coffee Shop, a "Japanese-inspired full-service bar," and The Burger Bar, a fast-casual restaurant offering 200 indoor and outdoor seats.  The store, located on Capital One's growing mixed-use campus just off Route 123, by the McLean Metro station, will be open daily from 6 a.m. to midnight. It has a capacity of 1,300, including 425 employees, and 33 front end registers — 12 of which are self-checkout. It is served by 908 parking spaces, though 302 are shared with other on-site retail.""

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Harris Teeter closes it last 201 Central store in Wesley Chapel.  These were mainly designed to block competition from opening stores across from theirs but I guess the losses were too great to continue.

In other NC grocery news Wegmans announces next 2 openings of stores in the Triangle one in Chapel Hill and one in town of Wake Forest both for spring openings.  That would be 4 open Wegmans in the market by June of 2021  with 1 more under construction in Cary and one planned in Holly Springs.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In Wake County today stopped at Wegmans in west Cary and an employee seemed to think the Lake Norman area would be a location of an upcoming store.  I predict they will start announcing stores next year for the Charlotte market and then open in 2 years when around the same time their new Richmond area warehouse opens.  2 stores open in the Triangle 2 more opening next year then 2 more after that for total of 6 in the market as of now.  Lake Norman makes for Wegmans and I still think Ballantyne will be a store location.  If 6 were announced in rapid succession in the Triangle I think they will do at least that many in the Charlotte market.  My guesses: Lake Norman area,  Cabarrus county,  Union County,  several Charlotte Meck stores.  Also probably in SC like Fort Mill.  

West Cary store over 100,000 sq ft.

IMG_8867.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2020 at 8:54 PM, KJHburg said:

In Wake County today stopped at Wegmans in west Cary and an employee seemed to think the Lake Norman area would be a location of an upcoming store.  I predict they will start announcing stores next year for the Charlotte market and then open in 2 years when around the same time their new Richmond area warehouse opens.  2 stores open in the Triangle 2 more opening next year then 2 more after that for total of 6 in the market as of now.  Lake Norman makes for Wegmans and I still think Ballantyne will be a store location.  If 6 were announced in rapid succession in the Triangle I think they will do at least that many in the Charlotte market.  My guesses: Lake Norman area,  Cabarrus county,  Union County,  several Charlotte Meck stores.  Also probably in SC like Fort Mill.  

West Cary store over 100,000 sq ft.

IMG_8867.JPG

IMG_8868.JPG

In your opinion, where in South Charlotte do you think a Wegmans could go? Seems like that area has a huge concentration of grocery stores already, especially with Harris Teeter on almost every commercial intersection. 

• Like 3