Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

30 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

In your opinion, where in South Charlotte do you think a Wegmans could go? Seems like that area has a huge concentration of grocery stores already, especially with Harris Teeter on almost every commercial intersection. 

Maybe that shopping center where Harris Teeter closed (Crunch fitness).  Is crunch still there? 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Third Strike said:

In your opinion, where in South Charlotte do you think a Wegmans could go? Seems like that area has a huge concentration of grocery stores already, especially with Harris Teeter on almost every commercial intersection. 

North of 51...DeeDee's hole would be my tops odds.  Other option I could see is across from Strawberry Hill.  That was supposed to be a mixed use with grocery but hasn't seen movement in 2+ years and is owned by D. Levine.   DeeDee's hole is directly across from a Teeter but there is no other competition around that area.  Across from Strawberry Hill is a big desert for traditional grocery stores (fresh market is nice but not a substitute for a Teeter).    Can't think of too many large open spots north of 51 with good exposure.  I think there are plenty of spots in Ballantyne to put one. 

• Like 2

I think you guys are underestimating how large a 100k SF grocery store with 700 parking spaces is. DeeDee's hole is large enough, but I wouldn't ever bet on anything going there. The most logical site in South Charlotte is the catholic church owned land just north of Torringdon at Johnston and Community House or as part of Northwood's redevelopment of Ballantyne. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Third Strike said:

My opinion first south Charlotte store in Ballantyne on Community House road.  they asked for a retail location away from the denser more development and to me that is perfect for a Wegmans that is an anchor that does need a lot of parking. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Prodev said:

I think you guys are underestimating how large a 100k SF grocery store with 700 parking spaces is. DeeDee's hole is large enough, but I wouldn't ever bet on anything going there. The most logical site in South Charlotte is the catholic church owned land just north of Torringdon at Johnston and Community House or as part of Northwood's redevelopment of Ballantyne. 

Isnt the church land the area CMS has zeroed in on for the new High School?  

• 3 weeks later...

This study has some flaws it but is interesting.  Trader Joes and Whole Foods pick high income areas to build their stores thus average high prices near their stores.  TJs is especially skewed by California where it is huge in LA and the Bay area where high values are astronomical.  These grocery stores don't cause higher home prices or appreciation it is just the neighborhoods they tend to locate their stores in like in central business districts like Whole Foods.  

The Supermarket Effect on Home Values | Realtor Magazine

Locally Harris Teeter and Publix build their stores in fairly high income areas too.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

another Publix slowing moving towards construction in Carmel Commons area. First a rezoning to tear down a Class B office building. 

Rezoning filed to redevelop south Charlotte office property into Publix grocery store - Charlotte Business Journal (bizjournals.com)

WooHoo!  Now if they ever start the Lidl construction, I will have real choices at my new house!   I Think that location will do very well.  The Arboretum Harris Teeter is the only other full size grocery store on 51 from Carolina Place to Matthews.   Biggest drawback for this place is the left turn from Carmel Commons going south on Carmel.  No light and a ton of traffic at rush hour.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

WooHoo!  Now if they ever start the Lidl construction, I will have real choices at my new house!   I Think that location will do very well.  The Arboretum Harris Teeter is the only other full size grocery store on 51 from Carolina Place to Matthews.   Biggest drawback for this place is the left turn from Carmel Commons going south on Carmel.  No light and a ton of traffic at rush hour.

they will be probably required to put a light on Carmel where that side street comes out.  But yes I think this Publix will do really good there.  Publix picks the most complicated spots to build their stores but that is large and part of them being a late entrant to the Charlotte market.  

• Like 4

1 minute ago, KJHburg said:

they will be probably required to put a light on Carmel where that side street comes out.  But yes I think this Publix will do really good there.  Publix picks the most complicated spots to build their stores but that is large and part of them being a late entrant to the Charlotte market.  

That would make sense and would benefit both the Lidl and Carmel Commons shopping center.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 1:59 PM, CLT2014 said:

They have 22 stores in the Charlotte market and rank 4th in market share after Food Lion. 

Stores in South End, Cotswold, Rock Hill, Indian Land, Whitehall Commons, Lake Wylie, Huntersville, Gastonia, Propserity VIllage, Mint Hill, Harrisburg, Matthews, Indian Trail, et... most of their stores are in suburban areas that have newer strip mall developments that they could get into and didn't already have Harris Teeter as a tenant. 

I heard a rumor that Publix is looking at taking over the location of the Food Lion on the Plaza at Matheson.  I have no idea how good this source is, so I thought I would check in here.  Any accuracy to this rumor?

• Like 2

6 hours ago, pgsinger said:

I heard a rumor that Publix is looking at taking over the location of the Food Lion on the Plaza at Matheson.  I have no idea how good this source is, so I thought I would check in here.  Any accuracy to this rumor?

Seems like a very strange (and unlikely) transition for several reasons:

• Current building and parking is too small for Publix (would require a teardown)
  • Food Lion is still operating (and presumably profitable). I think this is a pretty good store for FL. 
  • Has Publix taken anything other than a new build shopping center sites in town? (this would be a stand alone store)

I would have thought the Giant Penny site (coupled w redevelopment of Pet) would have been a better choice for Publix (but still not a great one)

Isn't there still a full sized grocery coming to 36th near the station? I could see Publix being more eager to take that site than Teeter.

On the other hand, Food Lion (but not Publix) could do just as well with an updated sore in either of the two strip centers at Plaza and Eastway (former Bi Lo)

But I am just a guy who looks at satellite images, I don't know any corporate scuttlebutt.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

Publix was rumored to be going in the Amelies spot (complete rebuild) but it never happened and the landlord there just renewed Amelies lease there.  I do think the Food Lion spot would have to be a full tear down and parking on the top like a  store I saw in Miami .   Possible of course the Food Lion there is owned by Executive Building LLC of Charlotte owns the entire 2.8 acre site.  Purchased in 2000 for $2.6 Million tax value of the property is $3.2 M so the market value is probably higher.   Building built in 1960 and is 38xxx sq ft. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Phillydog said:

Has there been any chatter about Wegmans entering the Charlotte market yet?

Chatter yes and I think this is the year Wegmans will announce upcoming Charlotte stores that will open in 2 years.  Based on the sucess of their Triangle stores and the fact their new north of Richmond warehouse is underway to serve them.  I am still predicting on Community House Road in Ballantyne there will be a store among others and I can see stores in northern Meck, Cabarrus, Union county.   

• Like 3

On 1/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, kermit said:

Seems like a very strange (and unlikely) transition for several reasons:

• Current building and parking is too small for Publix (would require a teardown)
  • Food Lion is still operating (and presumably profitable). I think this is a pretty good store for FL. 
  • Has Publix taken anything other than a new build shopping center sites in town? (this would be a stand alone store)

I would have thought the Giant Penny site (coupled w redevelopment of Pet) would have been a better choice for Publix (but still not a great one)

Isn't there still a full sized grocery coming to 36th near the station? I could see Publix being more eager to take that site than Teeter.

On the other hand, Food Lion (but not Publix) could do just as well with an updated sore in either of the two strip centers at Plaza and Eastway (former Bi Lo)

But I am just a guy who looks at satellite images, I don't know any corporate scuttlebutt.

The Publilx in Lake Wylie was actually a teardown from the backside only.  They kept only the brick front and basically ripped everything out behind it.  Built it slightly wider and deeper than the old Bi-Lo.  This sits in a plaza, with a few to go places next to it and a Karate studio on the end.

It took a while for that one to be redone though.  Even though it sits diagonal from a Food Lion and across the street from a Super Walmart, it is constantly busy.

• Like 3

On 1/18/2021 at 10:57 AM, pgsinger said:

Have not heard anything about a future store being built in that area, or at that spot. This comes from a current employee.! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 704Dimitri said:

Have not heard anything about a future store being built in that area, or at that spot. This comes from a current employee.! 

well you know how secretive Publix is LOL. But they must have signed a letter of intent. 

from the Atlanta which has  unique names for their Kroger stores.  First the Murder Kroger was plowed over and rebuilt and I have visited the new store (and survived)  Now the Disco Kroger is getting plowed over for a mixed used complex in Buckhead.  Why the Disco Kroger?   "" "Disco Kroger" was one of the first 24-hour stores in the city when it opened in 1976. When the Limelight nightclub opened next door in 1980, the grocery store became a favorite spot of late-night partiers, earning it the historic nickname.""

from the ATL Biz Journal

'Disco Kroger' in Buckhead targeted for demolition - Atlanta Business Chronicle (bizjournals.com)

Atlanta has cute names for their grocery stores does Charlotte??  if not we need to start some.   I guess we do have the Taj ma Teeter in Southpark and the Tiny Teeter in 4th Ward.  anymore I am missing? 

How did each Kroger get its nickname? - Atlanta Magazine

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

well you know how secretive Publix is LOL. But they must have signed a letter of intent. 
from the Atlanta which has  unique names for their Kroger stores.  First the Murder Kroger was plowed over and rebuilt and I have visited the new store (and survived)  Now the Disco Kroger is getting plowed over for a mixed used complex in Buckhead.  Why the Disco Kroger?   "" "Disco Kroger" was one of the first 24-hour stores in the city when it opened in 1976. When the Limelight nightclub opened next door in 1980, the grocery store became a favorite spot of late-night partiers, earning it the historic nickname.""
from the ATL Biz Journal
'Disco Kroger' in Buckhead targeted for demolition - Atlanta Business Chronicle (bizjournals.com)
Atlanta has cute names for their grocery stores does Charlotte??  if not we need to start some.   I guess we do have the Taj ma Teeter in Southpark and the Tiny Teeter in 4th Ward.  anymore I am missing? 
How did each Kroger get its nickname? - Atlanta Magazine
Reminds me of the Soviet Safeway in DC... Never has fully stocked shelves.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2