Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

• 1 month later...

26 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

This isn't a terribly exciting read, but how is it possible that Aldi and Lidl each have 2.3% market share here and Aldi has 20 stores and Lidl has 2?  Can anyone explain this?

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article250008454.html

Lidl has maybe 2 store in Charlotte but more in the region.  That is usually a metro study.  I count 7 in the area including ring counties outside Meck. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Lidl has maybe 2 store in Charlotte but more in the region.  That is usually a metro study.  I count 7 in the area including ring counties outside Meck. 

Thanks.  And you’re right.  The article says:

The report considers the Charlotte region to include Cabarrus, Gaston, Iredell, Lincoln, Mecklenburg, Rowan and Union counties as well as Chester, Lancaster and York in South Carolina.

I didn’t even count Aldi’s in these other counties so it’s likely a lot higher.  And they’ve been here for years, while Lidl, what?   A year or two max?  It’s surprising to me.  
  • Like 2

Ok, why am I posting so much in this supermarket thread.  Weird.  Anyway, I had to drive out to Shelby today for Shot #2 (hands up emoji) and I see this once I get there.  Lidl built and finished an entire store just to never open it?  I just do not understand that company, I am sorry.  But if anyone’s looking for a building with that new-supermarket smell....

E4064B38-09D8-4479-8730-BD0410364B22.jpeg

F323DF50-EFA0-4767-A3FF-9D3DD1B947BD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, turbocraig said:

Wow! I was not aware of that.  Thanks.  Now the fact that they have the same market share in the region  as Aldi makes even less sense.  

The market share data is more an art than a science. I'd say the Lidl data is off for the Charlotte metro though and is too high. All those stores down in the 2 - 4% range could easily swap places based off margins of error.

• Like 1

On 3/27/2021 at 4:41 PM, turbocraig said:

Wow! I was not aware of that.  Thanks.  Now the fact that they have the same market share in the region  as Aldi makes even less sense.  

The Lidl on 521 is 5x as crowded as the Aldi on Park Rd that I go to so it doesn't surprise me that a few stores could generate a ton of sales.  Lidl doesn't have the same stigma as Aldi does in the the nicer neighborhoods.  

2 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

The Lidl on 521 is 5x as crowded as the Aldi on Park Rd that I go to so it doesn't surprise me that a few stores could generate a ton of sales.  Lidl doesn't have the same stigma as Aldi does in the the nicer neighborhoods.  

I think Lidl has a better selection in general. The footprint of a Lidl store is the US is a bit larger than a Lidl in Germany. I wish they had more of the products they have in the German Lidl (particularly a lemon wafer that my dog found in my bag and finished for me).

1 hour ago, davidclt said:

I think Lidl has a better selection in general. The footprint of a Lidl store is the US is a bit larger than a Lidl in Germany. I wish they had more of the products they have in the German Lidl (particularly a lemon wafer that my dog found in my bag and finished for me).

I agree.  I've only been to Lidl (on Monroe Rd) twice but I do like that little bakery section when you walk in and they seem to have more in the way of specialty type stuff.  And they're product mix is maybe 55% Lidl / 45% national brands, whereas Aldi is more like 95 / 5.  Not that that matters.  I shop at multiple stores and I'm not a grocery snob.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, turbocraig said:

I agree.  I've only been to Lidl (on Monroe Rd) twice but I do like that little bakery section when you walk in and they seem to have more in the way of specialty type stuff.  And they're product mix is maybe 55% Lidl / 45% national brands, whereas Aldi is more like 95 / 5.  Not that that matters.  I shop at multiple stores and I'm not a grocery snob.

Definitely not a grocery snob. I will say though the *value* of some Lidl private label items is questionable. As an example, I think Trader Joe's Butter Chicken and Lidl's Butter Chicken come from the same supplier in Canada (eh). The TJ's Butter Chicken has notably more protein per unit of sauce than does Lidl's version but they are otherwise similar to the point of being indistinguishable. TJ's frozen garlic naan is in a class by itself.

• 2 weeks later...

Demo of the old AT&T building at Carmel Commons is now happening.  This is to the site of Lidl Carmel Commons (its not in Carmel Commons but across the street from it).  Never thought would ever get going.   

Also the Publix, also right near where this Lidl will be and across from Carmel Commons, is finally in re-zoning.  Publix bought the office building years ago but never started the project (and never rented the office space).  Just an empty office building for 5-ish years.

Edit: Lidl closed on the property on 3/1 so I guess this now a full go as permits for the 29k sf building have been pulled. 

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, JRNYP2C said:

Seeing a lot of chatter on Facebook about Wegman's and possible locations in Charlotte.  As much as I would love to see them here, I am not putting too much credence in those social media posts.  I only believe what I read here. :yahoo:

I have predicted they would announce a location here this year.  3 stores open in Raleigh Cary Chapel Hill one more opening within weeks in Wake Forest and one more in Holly Springs under construction.  Warehouse north of Richmond underway.  

I stand by prediction first one in Ballantyne probably along Community House Road. 

MAP:Wegmans breaks ground on $175 million distribution center in Virgina – Produce Blue Book

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Wegmans: this is the 3rd store open in the Triangle market (this one in Chapel Hill) next week 4th local Wegmans opening in Wake Forest and one more to go in Holly Springs #5 southern Wake County.  My thinking next up will be Charlotte due to their under construction warehouse in Richmond.    Love their buggy corrals in the parking lots. 

IMG_6585.JPG

IMG_6588.JPG

IMG_6589.JPG

IMG_6594.JPG

IMG_6595.JPG

IMG_6596.JPG

• Like 3

Publix is finally moving ahead with their Arboretum area store.  https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/publix-add-supermarket-south-charlotte/HTU4NKXWXJGGHDPRFXEPDFWMAA/

Will be where the BoA and other small buildings are across from the Arbo shopping center.  Good spot for some competition, as there is none besides the dumpy Food Lion. I hate that HT and will go out of my way to avoid getting groceries there.   If there ever start their Carmel Commons store, they will be getting in some high traffic areas in S. CLT that were in serious need of some competition.