Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

Since we don't have a supersized travel center thread I will put this story about Bucee's here.  I have plenty to both Florida locations and at least 8-9 in Texas.  They will be in NC sooner or later.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article261126537.html

In the meantime Florence is just 2 hours from here.  

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Since we don't have a supersized travel center thread I will put this story about Bucee's here.  I have plenty to both Florida locations and at least 8-9 in Texas.  They will be in NC sooner or later.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article261126537.html

In the meantime Florence is just 2 hours from here.  

Like all things Texas, it's BIG! 

The 24-hour travel centers are typically about 53,000-square-feet with 120 fuel positions, Nadalo said. Each store hires a minimum 175 full-time employees with hourly pay from $18 to $22, depending on the region.

That said, it also looks like they just may be thinking of our post-gasoline future (let's hope): Tesla Superchargers Coming to Buc'ee's Locations Across 7 States - TeslaNorth.com

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blue_Devil said:

That is smart of Bucee’s and the perfect place for Tesla Super Chargers

absolutely while your car is charging you can use their super clean restrooms, buy some food, buy some merchandise etc.  Their average stay at a Bucees is like 20-30 minutes it is not a quick in and out kinda of place.  If you have been to one you know why.  

• Like 1

Lidl in South Charlotte at Carmel Commons is finally opening this week (May 11th).   Prediction: this location will be very popular.    

No movement on anything related to the Publix on Carmel Commons which would be just a few buildings away from the Lidl.  No demo permits on the existing office building even though it was re-zoned next year.   6 years Publix has owned this building and still sits empty.

Quail Corners Harris Teeter is adding a Starbucks inside.   I have always wondered why there wasn't a Starbucks in-store in that shopping center.  Crazy amount of traffic goes up/down Park and the only Starbucks is at Woodlawn and impossible to get in and out of unless you are travelling North.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, InSouthPark said:

Lidl in South Charlotte at Carmel Commons is finally opening this week (May 11th).   Prediction: this location will be very popular.    

No movement on anything related to the Publix on Carmel Commons which would be just a few buildings away from the Lidl.  No demo permits on the existing office building even though it was re-zoned next year.   6 years Publix has owned this building and still sits empty.

Quail Corners Harris Teeter is adding a Starbucks inside.   I have always wondered why there wasn't a Starbucks in-store in that shopping center.  Crazy amount of traffic goes up/down Park and the only Starbucks is at Woodlawn and impossible to get in and out of unless you are travelling North.

any more rumors of the Wegmans at the Dee Dee Harris Quail Hollow village site other than 1 blogger?  The more I thought about that site it would be a close in location for them tapping very affluent areas both north and south and east of there. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

any more rumors of the Wegmans at the Dee Dee Harris Quail Hollow village site other than 1 blogger?  The more I thought about that site it would be a close in location for them tapping very affluent areas both north and south and east of there. 

Nothing on the "Bring Wegmans to Charlotte" facebook page.  But they haven't even started building the distribution center in Richmond yet (apparently they were still clearing the site in March).  https://www.hanovercounty.gov/1012/Wegmans-Project-Information  I'm sure its 18months, at least, to build 1mil sf DC.

I would assume that until walls start going up on the DC, they won't announce anything here.  But based on Dee Dee's previous "experience", I mean she did build a Walgreens and opened a failed food court, I doubt they work out a deal to buy the land and highly highly doubt they would want to work with her as a developer. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

supposedly this new Lidl on South Blvd. will be there new prototype.  Not sure what that means.  20K sq ft opening mid 2023.  

I have tried to like this store and a few things I like about it but think the layout is weird with that aisle of non grocery miscellaneous items down the middle.  Maybe that will be cut out.  

what do people think of Lidl who have been there?  It is better than Aldi but still not my favorite by a long shot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/07/08/lidl-german-grocer-south-boulevard-store-retailing.html

looks like 10 stores in the metro area Meck, Gaston, Cabarrus, York and Union. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 5:57 PM, KJHburg said:

supposedly this new Lidl on South Blvd. will be there new prototype.  Not sure what that means.  20K sq ft opening mid 2023.  

I have tried to like this store and a few things I like about it but think the layout is weird with that aisle of non grocery miscellaneous items down the middle.  Maybe that will be cut out.  

what do people think of Lidl who have been there?  It is better than Aldi but still not my favorite by a long shot.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2022/07/08/lidl-german-grocer-south-boulevard-store-retailing.html

looks like 10 stores in the metro area Meck, Gaston, Cabarrus, York and Union. 

Lidl has a much bigger selection, slightly higher prices, typically stocked better and much nicer stores than Aldi.   I could care less about the rando-aisle down the middle.  I like Aldi for what it is but now that Lidl has opened at Carmel Commons, I have only gone to Aldi like once to stock up on some things they have that Lidl doesn't.  And with the number of coupons they have been sending ($10 off $40) every week...I know I have been saving $$ there.

Lidl will appeal to the Southend residents a lot more than Aldi, mostly because of optics.  Trader Joes' messed up going to midtown. I know they do fine there but if they had one in Southend....

Edited by InSouthPark
  • Like 2

Lidl reminds me of a European grocer, but larger in size. The look and layout resemble Euro shopping more than US style. Aldi is warehouse-ish shopping. Fine for commodities, canned goods, spices, butter, eggs, etc. but overall Lidl is inviting and comforting, in comparison.

Europe also has monster stores out in the suburbs and ring roads.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tarhoosier said:

Lidl reminds me of a European grocer, but larger in size. The look and layout resemble Euro shopping more than US style. Aldi is warehouse-ish shopping. Fine for commodities, canned goods, spices, butter, eggs, etc. but overall Lidl is inviting and comforting, in comparison.

Europe also has monster stores out in the suburbs and ring roads.

The Aldi's and Lidl's in Germany are setup almost exactly like the interior of their counterparts here.  Both just a little bit smaller in Germany (at least in the city center areas).   

The sheer number of small grocery stores in a city the size of Hamburg was amazing to me.  Aldi, Lidl, Rewe, Edeka...they were everywhere. 

• Like 2

On 7/13/2022 at 11:31 AM, InSouthPark said:

Lidl has a much bigger selection, slightly higher prices, typically stocked better and much nicer stores than Aldi.   I could care less about the rando-aisle down the middle.  I like Aldi for what it is but now that Lidl has opened at Carmel Commons, I have only gone to Aldi like once to stock up on some things they have that Lidl doesn't.  And with the number of coupons they have been sending ($10 off $40) every week...I know I have been saving $$ there.

Lidl will appeal to the Southend residents a lot more than Aldi, mostly because of optics.  Trader Joes' messed up going to midtown. I know they do fine there but if they had one in Southend....

If the population density continues to drastically increase in SouthEnd then a Trader Joe's location is possible in the future.  That would be in addition to the one in Midtown. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

The most screwed are suppliers. Walmart and the new Kroger will control almost 50% of grocery spend nationwide.... That's a lot of leverage at the negotiating table for anybody that wants shelf space. Losing shelf space could mean the end of your business or significant layoffs to stay afloat.

Edited by CLT2014

^ I thought Kroger had a very light touch when they purchased Teeter. Other than the gas station additions it largely feels the same to me. 

I always hated shopping at Kroger when I lived in Georgia, so I really hope we don’t see a switch to a national model for all of their stores (but I don’t think we will see that).

It’ll be very interesting to see how things shake out. 

I cannot imagine any universe where the FTC allows such a merger to happen, especially given that there are some areas where the combined company would essentially control the entire market…Los Angeles comes to mind with Kroger owning Ralph’s and Safeway operating Vons/Pavilions, and Albertsons also operating their own stores in the area.

Safeway is also extremely large in the PNW where Kroger chain Fred Meyer is also based.

Albertsons organizational structure is quite different to me than Kroger. Albertsons is essentially two different divisions: Safeway and the stores operated/owned by Safeway (Vons, Pavilions, Randall’s, etc.) and Albertsons and the stores operated/owned by Albertsons (Jewell Osco, Acme, etc.). Safeway stores largely retain their same feel and look, while Albertsons’ stores largely retain their own feel and look. The combined company uses Safeway store brands and uses the Safeway introduced loyalty program. By most metrics, it appears that Safeway is largely the surviving entity.

Kroger OTOH seems to take a more hands off type approach to each individual store. I think most stores retain most of their pre-Kroger brands and their loyalty cards.

Personally, I’m really interested to see what happens to the DC market. 

Safeway has been in the area since the 1920s and has a strong brand in the region, although their presence in the region always struck me as odd…they are the only Safeway stores on the East Coast and frankly I am surprised they have survived this long. They have pretty big ties to the community (each store has their own pet nickname amongst Washingtonians…the Soviet Safeway, the Social Safeway, the Secret Safeway, the Subterranean Safeway, the Stinky Safeway, etc.) and they operate stores in neighborhoods that I doubt another store would venture into if they closed. 

The Safeway closest to me on Corcoran St NW (the Soviet Safeway) is a good example of this…the store is extremely small (think smaller than a Walgreens) with tight, narrow aisles. I imagine it does good business but I am willing to bet the land it’s on is quite lucrative and if they closed it I doubt another store would take its place. 

Harris Teeter just closed one of their newer DC stores this past year and I think they still have 2-3 stores in the District itself. I found their DC stores to be poorly managed and dinky compared to those in Charlotte, and if the deal goes through those stores will likely either close or rebrand to Safeway.

If approved, I can’t imagine any changes to Harris Teeter in Charlotte, unless Kroger wants to adopt he Safeway/Albertsons store brand and their loyalty program. 

• Like 2

Just a fun fact, but I've used my Teeter VIC card to qualify for the discounted pricing at Kroger chains like Smith's and Ralph's while traveling.  It looks like they have centralized the back end systems to recognize each other for the discounted price. I didn't get HT Fuel Points though with the purchase... instead I got points towards promotions at the chain where the purchase was made. 

Harris Teeter is also one of the only Kroger chains that doesn't have the "Boost" memberhsip program and has not yet adopted the animated people in advertising. Ralphs, Smiths, Fry's, Fred Meyer, et.... all use the animated people in print ads, banners, commercials, et... that originated with the parent brand Kroger.

Here is an example for Ralphs specific version of the Kroger campaign that's done everywhere but Harris Teeter. All they do is swap out the store logo out in the ad for Smith's, Fry's, Fred Meyer, et.... and boom you have a "local" feeling campain made by one agency for multiple brands. Interestingly they don't use this advertising for Harris Teeter. 

Harris Teeter still use live actors in their ad campaigns and seemed to maintain an independent marketing department. HT still uses "Genius Bill" in print and video and has not been rolled into the general Kroger animated people ads. 

Edited by CLT2014

8 hours ago, CLT2014 said:

Just a fun fact, but I've used my Teeter VIC card to qualify for the discounted pricing at Kroger chains like Smith's and Ralph's while traveling.  It looks like they have centralized the back end systems to recognize each other for the discounted price. I didn't get HT Fuel Points though with the purchase... instead I got points towards promotions at the chain where the purchase was made. 

Harris Teeter is also one of the only Kroger chains that doesn't have the "Boost" memberhsip program and has not yet adopted the animated people in advertising. Ralphs, Smiths, Fry's, Fred Meyer, et.... all use the animated people in print ads, banners, commercials, et... that originated with the parent brand Kroger.

Here is an example for Ralphs specific version of the Kroger campaign that's done everywhere but Harris Teeter. All they do is swap out the store logo out in the ad for Smith's, Fry's, Fred Meyer, et.... and boom you have a "local" feeling campain made by one agency for multiple brands. Interestingly they don't use this advertising for Harris Teeter. 

IIRC, some stores like Ralphs and Fred Meyer also no longer have their own brand...it's all Kroger. I really don't like Ralphs (Vons/Pavilions are both a lot nicer, and I get to use my Safeway card there) but when I was at a store a couple months ago in Palm Springs everything was Kroger branded. 

I'm not sure why Kroger would let HT and others have all of these carve outs. 

I'm curious to see who pushed this deal through...Albertsons or Kroger. I'm willing to bet Albertsons...they've been doing a strategic evaluation of the company for a while, and it's a short term win for their shareholders. They've been owned by a private equity firm for quite some time now and this provides the firm with an escape route. Looking at the stock of Kroger today tells you all you need to know about what their shareholders think about the deal..Kroger stock is down twice as much when compared to the rest of the grocery market. 

In addition to the FTC, I can potentially see several state's AGs sounding the alarm on the merger...particularly the AGs in western states and perhaps DC. 

Edited by LKN704
  • Like 1

I use my Harris Teeter VIC card at Krogers in Georgia and SC all the time.   Even used it in Arkansas to save 3 cents on gas.  

Kroger let Harris Teeter remain a separate division as it is non unionized but Kroger is unionized as all their Atlanta division stores including those in Hilton Head, Atlanta, Savannah, etc. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Gas station news since it somewhat related to grocery stores.   Looks like Wawa is starting in coastal NC for their first stores in our state from Elizabeth City, KDH on the OBX, Wilmington and Leland according to this article.  (Makes sense to me less competition on the coast and popular with northeast folks) 

https://wobx.com/2022/10/27/plans-submitted-for-a-wawa-in-elizabeth-city-that-would-replace-pier-17-restaurant/

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2022/10/27/wawas-in-the-works-popular-convenience-store-proposed-in-the-cape-fear/

they will probably put some up on I-95 too to connect with their Northeast southbound travelers to Florida.

I think it will be some time before they come to Charlotte region due to Quiktrip.  But since NC is growing much faster than their core markets of PA and NJ they will open up shop here sooner or later. 

Wegmans grocery store still on the radar for here with their warehouse under construction north of Richmond which will allow further south stores.   I would say we are at least a 4 store Wegmans market.  

But don't even get me started about Bucee's and how they need to complement their new and future southeast stores with multiple locations in NC like on I-95, i-85 etc. 

https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-news/buc-ees-expanding-more-states    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Gas station news since it somewhat related to grocery stores.   Looks like Wawa is starting in coastal NC for their first stores in our state from Elizabeth City, KDH on the OBX, Wilmington and Leland according to this article.  (Makes sense to me less competition on the coast and popular with northeast folks) 

https://wobx.com/2022/10/27/plans-submitted-for-a-wawa-in-elizabeth-city-that-would-replace-pier-17-restaurant/

https://portcitydaily.com/local-news/2022/10/27/wawas-in-the-works-popular-convenience-store-proposed-in-the-cape-fear/

they will probably put some up on I-95 too to connect with their Northeast southbound travelers to Florida.

I think it will be some time before they come to Charlotte region due to Quiktrip.  But since NC is growing much faster than their core markets of PA and NJ they will open up shop here sooner or later. 

Wegmans grocery store still on the radar for here with their warehouse under construction north of Richmond which will allow further south stores.   I would say we are at least a 4 store Wegmans market.  

But don't even get me started about Bucee's and how they need to complement their new and future southeast stores with multiple locations in NC like on I-95, i-85 etc. 

https://www.cspdailynews.com/company-news/buc-ees-expanding-more-states    

I guess I'll be able to go to WaWa soon without having to go into Hampton Roads (Norfolk/Virginia Beach).

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sprouts having just one store in the Ballantyne area is opening another in the Steele Creek area in former Earth Fare.  They are also rumored as new store in the NoDa area as well.

from the Biz Journal today:

""Nearly five years after making its debut in the Charlotte region, Sprouts Farmers Market will soon add a second store here. That's according to The Charlotte Observer, which reports the grocer has taken over a space formerly occupied by Earth Fare in the Steele Creek area.

The roughly 24,000-square-foot store is at 14124 Steele Creek Road, in the Rivergate shopping center, the daily newspaper reports. Sprouts will employ around 100 full- and part-time workers there. No targeted opening date was mentioned in the article.

Sprouts' first store in Charlotte opened in April 2018 at 15121 Ballancroft Parkway, in the Ballantyne area. The Phoenix-based grocer focuses on natural and organic offerings.""

• Like 2

On 2/24/2023 at 8:11 PM, KJHburg said:

Sprouts having just one store in the Ballantyne area is opening another in the Steele Creek area in former Earth Fare.  They are also rumored as new store in the NoDa area as well.

from the Biz Journal today:

""Nearly five years after making its debut in the Charlotte region, Sprouts Farmers Market will soon add a second store here. That's according to The Charlotte Observer, which reports the grocer has taken over a space formerly occupied by Earth Fare in the Steele Creek area.

The roughly 24,000-square-foot store is at 14124 Steele Creek Road, in the Rivergate shopping center, the daily newspaper reports. Sprouts will employ around 100 full- and part-time workers there. No targeted opening date was mentioned in the article.

Sprouts' first store in Charlotte opened in April 2018 at 15121 Ballancroft Parkway, in the Ballantyne area. The Phoenix-based grocer focuses on natural and organic offerings.""

I've heard from my development/real estate community contacts there are at least 3 more locations of Sprouts in the pipeline of the Charlotte  region. 

• Like 3

I have complained for a long time about Publix not doing anything with this location at Carmel Commons (11 years now since they bought the property) but it looks it might actually be happening!  This shows construction starting April 2023.  I assume that would means demo as the abandoned office building is still there.  

https://www.constructionjournal.com/projects/details/4f68d6325e4f4522a935e4e23ad4fbaf.html

Anyone know anything more?

This Publix plus the very recent rezoning of the adjacent parcels at Carmel Crossing to MUDD-O + the greenway access about to be built, this area could really undergo a lot of change. 

image.thumb.png.24a8fbc811bd615d89a0a14338b93c1c.png

• Like 2