Charlotte Supermarkets

monsoon

My wife and I went to the new Trader Joe's last night and purchased some seafood, bread, etc. I must say they have some tortilla chips that are quite tasty! My wife commented that she had imagined it would be a bigger store than it was which disappointed us both. I've honestly never been inside of a Trader Joe's but both of us had hopes that they had fresh prepared meals but this wasn't the case. Do all Trader Joe's simply offer mostly frozen goods and pre-packaged dry goods? Their produce section was almost non-existent.

Yes, all Trader Joe's are virtually identical. Trader Joe's definitely isn't a store you will fall in love with the first time you go there. It's always crowded, the aisles are small, the store is small, and there definitely is not a ton of fresh foods. It's nothing like a Whole Foods, Fresh Market, etc.etc. Most people that are avid lover's of Trader Joe's have acquired an appreciation after having shopped their over the years. I would compare Trader Joe's more to a flea market than a grocery store. They have quirky packaged foods and beverages. Some are just okay, some are pretty good, and some can be quite addictive. The objective is to dig, and eventually you will find things you like at a price you can agree with. The staff is usually friendly and a lot of the produces Trader Joe's gets, are because they have built up relationships with specific vendors. For the most part they are smaller less known vendors, but they do still sell some larger vendor products like vitamin water. So it is small for a couple of reasons, they basically hand pick products they like, and don't buy item's they don't like. They try dealing directly with the vendors, instead of with large distributors. Therefore cutting on some middlemen cost, and passing on the savings. They also have a guarantee on all their products. Basically if you don't like something, bring it back for a refund no questions asked. Not all of their products are super cheap, but when you compare some of their Trader Joe branded items to the Popular branded items you see at Harris Teeter, you may find a substantial difference. And in some or most cases you can't tell a difference in a taste test.

I bought a 2 buck- erg 3 buck chuck when I was there, since that's what I heard they were famous before their Charlotte arrival. Yes- it's 3 bucks along the east coast b/c of shipping. That's about the only reason I see myself going there for once in a while. Guess it just isn't a place for me :dontknow: .

• 1 month later...

The Super BI-LO at the corner of Weddington Rd. and Mckee rd.(near Matthews and Stallings) is almost finished. I think I heard it's opening on March 5th. Anyone know if it's that much better than a reg. BI-LO? There's already a Harris Teeter across the street. I can't see that many people switching from Teeter to BI-LO unless it's really nice. Those folks over there don't really care much about low prices. They just want nice, well lit stores with good meat, good produce departments, and clean bathrooms.

The Super BI-LO at the corner of Weddington Rd. and Mckee rd.(near Matthews and Stallings) is almost finished. I think I heard it's opening on March 5th. Anyone know if it's that much better than a reg. BI-LO? There's already a Harris Teeter across the street. I can't see that many people switching from Teeter to BI-LO unless it's really nice. Those folks over there don't really care much about low prices. They just want nice, well lit stores with good meat, good produce departments, and clean bathrooms.

The Bi Lo over on Park Rd (which badly needs some kind of renovation. at least a cleanup.) has an excellent produce department - better than HT - but a terrible meat department. I usually end up alternating between Bi Lo and HT.

Super Bi-Lo is just larger and offers more services than a general Bi-Lo store does. It's not like a Super Wal-mart where they offcer a full department store plus a full grocer... but the Super Bi-Lo has things such as a Staples express type store.. coffee shop of course.. photo center.. etc.
That's pretty much what I figured. I wasn't sure if they have all that other stuff(electronics,etc.) or not. Thanks for the input. :thumbsup:

The Bi Lo over on Park Rd (which badly needs some kind of renovation. at least a cleanup.) has an excellent produce department - better than HT - but a terrible meat department. I usually end up alternating between Bi Lo and HT.

Yeah, that BiLo (and the strip in front of it) is really a dump...wonder if that parcel will remain commercial. Street front retail with condos or apartments behind would be much better in that area.

That HT you are speaking of is very old though. It was built in 1990, and is comparitively small inside, so more people might switch than you think.

Compare Foods is having to pay a $40,000 fine for anti-discrimination at it's N.Tryon Rd. location. The employees suing were African-american and caucasian.

Charlotte Observer Article about Compare Foods

Having worked with these stores when they take over an existing location, I can say that I have seen was has been alleged in the case happen.

• 1 month later...

The store opens Wednesday (March 19th)

The rumors I've heard are that Harris Teeter is really kicking themselves after seeing how nice the Bi Lo in Matthews turned out since they had the option of moving across the street to a new store. The building is actually built to a somewhat urban context and really grabs your attention as you walk or drive by. I think you'll see a lot of folks defect over to a much newer and nicer store as long as the pricing and selection are at least on par with the Teet. It's also adjacent to the YMCA so there's a sort of mixed use aspect where people can walk from one place to another before or after workouts.

What is Grand Asia Market?

Edited by 49er

The rumors I've heard are that Harris Teeter is really kicking themselves after seeing how nice the Bi Lo in Matthews turned out since they had the option of moving across the street to a new store. The building is actually built to a somewhat urban context and really grabs your attention as you walk or drive by. I think you'll see a lot of folks defect over to a much newer and nicer store as long as the pricing and selection are at least on par with the Teet. It's also adjacent to the YMCA so there's a sort of mixed use aspect where people can walk from one place to another before or after workouts.

What is Grand Asia Market?

Grand Asia Market http://www.grandasiamarket.com/

It is funny how the Bi-Lo almost towers over the Harris Teeter at Plantation Market, but I know Harris Teeter has a store planned down Weddington Road too so I don't think they are too upset, plus they still rule the south Charlotte market.

The store opens Wednesday (March 19th)

Yeah, it got pushed back a couple of times, march 5th, then mar. 12th and finally the 19th. Some didn't think they would make it by the 19th but they kicked into high gear over the past few weeks to get it done. Beautifull store, if this is what Bi-lo plans on doing with all future stores, then there may still be hope for them yet. Makes me worry about the teeter across the street, they just spent a couple million on a remodel. But I don't feel like it was nearly enough. Can't believe I'm saying this but compared to the new Bi-lo it looks like a dump. :lol:

Yeah, it got pushed back a couple of times, march 5th, then mar. 12th and finally the 19th. Some didn't think they would make it by the 19th but they kicked into high gear over the past few weeks to get it done. Beautifull store, if this is what Bi-lo plans on doing with all future stores, then there may still be hope for them yet. Makes me worry about the teeter across the street, they just spent a couple million on a remodel. But I don't feel like it was nearly enough. Can't believe I'm saying this but compared to the new Bi-lo it looks like a dump. :lol:

I know Bi-Lo plans on changing many of the stores to the Super format. As far as HT, like I said, I don't think they are too phased by the Super Bi-lo considering they have many of their newer larger stores in the area as well and it's nice to have a "classic" HT in the area.

I went to the Super Bi-Lo tonight and was not that impressed. I thought their produce section was excellent. I think the classic HT across the street still has a better deli.

I have to agree with you. I wasn't that impressed either, it reminded me of Bloom more than Harris Teeter or Lowes Foods, and even though their aim was upscale a lot of still felt like an old Bi-Lo store. And the prices on some things were ridiculous (example: Stoneyfield Organic Fat Free Yogurt was $1.19 at Bi-Lo, it's 89 cents at Harris Teeter and 85 cents at Lowes Foods. I thought that was a bit outrageous.) Like you said, they did have a pretty nice produce section and a good selection of organics in that department, I just wish they had carried more organics throughout the store instead of one small back section behind the produce. For a Super Bi-Lo, the aisles could have been a little wider too.

• 1 month later...

Speaking of "green" grocery stores, has anyone checked out the new HT in south Charlotte(off Audrey Kell rd., I think). A friend of mine told me that CNN news was there a couple of days ago because it was the nations first green grocery store. Anybody got any info on this?

Honestly, I had no idea Talley's was there until someone told me about it. Even then I wasn't sure I knew where it was because I didn't even know that shopping center was there. And I'm someone that is absurdly observative about my surroundings.

As for HT - I'll believe it when I see it. Food Lion, of all places, has been one of the most successful grocers in reducing energy consumption. They've markedly decreased their overall energy consumption even while increasing store counts (I don't have the exact numbers in front of me, but they're quite impressive).

Talley's has been a Dilworth mainstay for years. They were locally owned and had a devoted following even with their secluded location. The support just was not large enough to keep them competitive against the big guys. Their selection had been getting more limited. Their fish dept dissapeared completely recently and the signs were just not looking good. It will be interesting to see what replaces them.