West Michigan winery industry exploding

GRDadof3

Michigan wineries' glass is full

Michigan wineries pursue world-class status - Chicago Tribune

Robinette's branches out from apples to wine - Detroit News

West Michigan wine sales and acreage growing - WWMT

Region's vineyards are booming - TCRE

This is quite a change from a few years ago when wineries were struggling and many thought were being overbuilt. As most people around here know, the area about 20 - 40 miles inland from Lake Michigan stretching all the way up the West side of the state is nearly perfect conditions for growing wine grapes, due to Lake Michigan's moderating effects.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i bought my parents a gift basket from one of the SW MI wineries a few years ago and they absolutely loved it. I don't know about robinette's though... i never really thought of wine as being their thing, unless it's apple wine (is that possible??). ha. THOUGH! I would probably be first in line if they ever started making an alcoholic cider. or do they already??? :D

I read something recently (Slate perhaps? Can't recall. I read a lot.) that purported a measurable association between global warming and the wine industry. Seems that slight increases in temperature in the southern regions is resulting in better, more advantageous growing of grapes in northern vicinities. Hence, we may one day be buying delightful wines from Greenland or *gasp* Canada. Just a freaky fact, with a high margin of error on my behalf. I need to pay better attention.

If I knew how to find the wine drinking smilie, I'd put it in right here. Someone else will do it, no doubt.

i bought my parents a gift basket from one of the SW MI wineries a few years ago and they absolutely loved it. I don't know about robinette's though... i never really thought of wine as being their thing, unless it's apple wine (is that possible??). ha. THOUGH! I would probably be first in line if they ever started making an alcoholic cider. or do they already??? :D

I go to Traverse City at least once a year to get wine. Last time I visited about 6 wineries and bought about a case of wine in total. I love that tasting is free so you can try all you want. In other places around the country you'd have to pay at each winery you go to just to have a little taste.

Archived