First 500+ Footers in the Region? PR, AK, HI?

What do you folks think are the prospects for seeing 500+ foot skyscrapers in the region covered in this forum?

Do you think that we will ever witness any in the near future or our lifetime?

Of course if there were to ever be any skyscrapers of 500 ft. or higher, chances are they would likely be built in either San Juan, Honolulu and Anchorage. I don't think that the other cities like Ponce, Mayaguez, Fairbanks, Juneau or Hilo will see any, sooner.

From my understanding San Juan and other cities in PR have strict height limits in places and seems to be even more strict than Honolulu but I wonder if Anchorage has any? I haven't heard of any height limits there and although it is a smaller city it would be a trip if it were to have a 500 footer before the other two. Being that Anchorage has a large oil company presence you just never know.

So what are your thoughts?

I know that there was a push to raise height limits many times in Honolulu to at least 500 ft or slightly higher especially when the citys' tallest First Hawaiian Center was proposed to be built but it didn't happen of course. However, it was allowed to go over 400 ft because of its design/set backs. Most buildings in the city area max out at 350 ft with near a dozen at or around 400 ft and a couple more just over it. In an ideal world it would be nice to see height limits raised for places in or near the CBD to the Mid Town (Kaka'alo/Ala Moana) areas but the "Thousand friends of Hawaii" or whatever they are called would probably crush any effort. :( I think that eventually the city will have no choice but to go higher as the city continues to grow but i may never see it, unfortunately.

5270_b1a.jpg

sanjuand1.jpg

downtown_vista.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have very good insider information that the 50-story tower for San Juan has initiated the permission process and that it looks very good. Usually, the problem is financing, but not in this case, the money is there and the comapny behind it is very serious. They already have 4 other projects in Puerto Rico and the do not forsee any problems with this one. The height restrictions of San Juan affect only aiport routes and the airport vincinity, Condado has no height restrictions.

I have very good insider information that the 50-story tower for San Juan has initiated the permission process and that it looks very good. Usually, the problem is financing, but not in this case, the money is there and the comapny behind it is very serious. They already have 4 other projects in Puerto Rico and the do not forsee any problems with this one. The height restrictions of San Juan affect only aiport routes and the airport vincinity, Condado has no height restrictions.

jdkacz, well a 500 + ft. wouldn't even put a dent in the skyline in comparison to the surrounding mountains! It will still make for a nice skyline though!

Jaykar, i wonder what the floor to ceiling ratio would be for the proposed 50 story building, because there are a few buildings that are 40-46 or more stories in Honolulu yet they are not even near to 500 ft. They are of course residential which i think has smaller floor to ceiling ratios while office towers are higher maybe 10-12 ft or more?

jdkacz, well a 500 + ft. wouldn't even put a dent in the skyline in comparison to the surrounding mountains! It will still make for a nice skyline though!

Jaykar, i wonder what the floor to ceiling ratio would be for the proposed 50 story building, because there are a few buildings that are 40-46 or more stories in Honolulu yet they are not even near to 500 ft. They are of course residential which i think has smaller floor to ceiling ratios while office towers are higher maybe 10-12 ft or more?

• 1 year later...

Developers added more height to the San Juan Bayside Towers by adding more floors to each building. A year ago it was said the towers would be 37 and 32 stories tall. Now after the construction of the towers already started a new article says each tower will be 50-story high. So there's a good chance of San Juan having a 500 ft skyscraper. With this two buildings now San Juan has four 50-story towers on agenda and a few more between 30 - 40 stories. Finally the city is looking up instead of looking to spread over. Still we gotta see how the ratio of each floor will be, but there's a good chance for reaching the 500 ft goal. Only time will tell.

"Bayside I & II-Currently under construction, Bayside I & II is a mixed-use residential and commercial project in Miramar consisting of a marina and 531 apartment units divided between two 50-story towers, all overlooking San Juan Bay. The waterfront property is located next to the Parque Central and the Fisherman

Archived