Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

I could not be happier to hear that Carroll continues to buy up property for his project. While a salvage company is a valued business, this type of "warehouse" is not a proper fit in a thriving downtown business district. I can't wait to watch all of those "eyesore" buildings in that area be demolished. As I have said many times, Roy Carroll seems to be bullish about the redevelopment of downtown Greensboro. I hope he makes millions for his contributions to our city! 

I could not be happier to hear that Carroll continues to buy up property for his project. While a salvage company is a valued business, this type of "warehouse" is not a proper fit in a thriving downtown business district. I can't wait to watch all of those "eyesore" buildings in that area be demolished. As I have said many times, Roy Carroll seems to be bullish about the redevelopment of downtown Greensboro. I hope he makes millions for his contributions to our city! 

The property purchases really indicates he is serious about this project and its not just a proposal. I think it will really create a lot of energy around the ballpark.

The historic "Book Trader" building at 312 South Elm Street will be renovated into ground level retail with the top two floors being apartments.  This will add to the revitalization of that block of elm street. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/06/new-life-coming-to-downtown-greensboro-s-book.html

Edited by toast002

You know, smaller projects like this really can't be overstated. There's a lot of demand for space on Elm St. but people often forget just how much unused space there already is in a lot of these buildings. The Southeastern Building renovation, the Scuppernog(spelling?) books building renovation, the (hopefully) Cascade Saloon renovation, and this will really help liven up the whole corridor.

I was just over by the old Dixie Apartments were Roy Carroll is planning to build his mixed-use project. I saw about 8-10 firefighters looking/walking around the building. The windows in the building have been removed. I bet they are planning a "controlled burn" of the building so firefighters can get in some practice. Has anyone heard?

Also, there are two backhoes parked by the old social security building next door. Looks like Roy is getting ready to knock some buildings down and move forward with his project.

Edited by luvdowntowngso

Or demolish the building and then decide not to build anything as is the case far too often in the US. I dunno, I'm skeptical about any project he's attached to since he's been talking about building something on that side of town now for like eight years and nothing has come from it so far.

It's too bad there was apparently no way for Carroll to incorporate this building into his development, either as part of the hotel or apts. I hate when these buildings get taken out. It would have added uniqueness to the project, IMO.

Monday and Tuesday were demolition days for The Dixie apartments. Demolition crews from D.H. Griffin Wrecking Co. Inc. early this week brought down the apartment building, which dated back to 1921 and was located at the corner of North Eugene and Bellemeade streets in downtown Greensboro.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/06/downtown-greensboro-dixie-apartments-come-down.html

I think this is further evidence that Roy Carroll is moving ahead with his mixed use hotel project but I must say I do wish he could have preserved that building and renovated it. There aren't that many early 20th century buildings left in that part of downtown and it was the only authentic historic building across from the ballpark. Despite that I'm happy to see that with this action, His project will likely get built . Roy Carroll has actually been planning for this for a long time. He mentioned a possible hotel project as far back as 2008 when construction of Center Pointe was almost complete. BTW he does have future plans for another tower next to Center Pointe but the market has to be right and there has to be demand. Its just a waiting game now.  That exactly why the north side of the Center Pointe tower is the only side of the building without balconies. Early renderings of Center Pointe showed an identical tower on the north side except it was twice the height of Center Pointe (32 stories)

If and when Roy Carroll's Center Pointe Phase 2 is built, it could be twice the height of Center Pointe but The reality is that the downtown market isn't ready for that many condos and it would likely be a mixed-use upscale apartment/office building.

611-3.jpg

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

^ I think it's really awful that the NYT didn't mention Greensboro.   I read CNN piece as well as a WSJ article and they mention the Greensboro museum.  

I do think the Greensboro museum though has some real problems beyond the existing ones (debt issues primarily) which is going to likely get worse with the Atlanta museum and the soon to open Charleston, SC museum and the sure to be impressive Smithsonian National Museum of African American History and Culture that will be on five acre on the National Mall in Washington.    Frankly all three are major domestic and international tourist destinations in themselves so the question will become - why go to Greensboro?

This is not a knock but a serious question.  

Roy Carroll continues demolition on other properties that he purchased this month in preparation for his $50 million mixed-use hotel/residential project across from NewBridge Bank Ballpark. The hotel will be at least 8-stories.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/06/carroll-continues-demolition-near-greensboro.html

Edited by cityboi

I'm going to miss the 300 Bellemeade building (the old home of Architectural Salvage). I believe it was originally used for a car dealership (showroom) in the early to mid 1900s. You could walk up the steep, original, indoor car ramp up to the second level. It had a nice perspective of Commerce Ave.

As for Carroll, I just hope the hotel truly has an urban design and scale. The last string of development in downtown Greensboro has been anything but urban save for Southside. IMO

Edited by LesterA
  • Like 2

I'm going to miss the 300 Bellemeade building (the old home of Architectural Salvage). I believe it was originally used for a car dealership (showroom) in the early to mid 1900s. You could walk up the steep, original, indoor car ramp up to the second level. It had a nice perspective of Commerce Ave.

As for Carroll, I just hope the hotel truly has an urban design and scale. The last string of development in downtown Greensboro has been anything but urban save for Southside. IMO

Agreed. Makes me a little nervous there have been no renderings made public. This town has a baffling habit of building suburban structures downtown. Carroll put together a nice looking building with Center Point, but then again the bones were already in place. Regardless, something pedestrian friendly to offset ballpark's wall of fence across the street would be welcome. If it can tie in Commerce Place, even better. Pull up the meters & median in the middle, flank the street with trees, and turn some of those offices into sidewalk cafes & bistros, and suddenly Commerce Pl becomes a cozy little nook and an inviting pedestrian link from the heart of downtown to the ballpark. I've always liked the little glimpse you get of the county courthouse through the alley there.

Getting back to the question of scale, anybody have a sense of how the 8-story hotel will impact the skyline view from the ballpark? Will it enhance or obscure?

Agreed. Makes me a little nervous there have been no renderings made public. This town has a baffling habit of building suburban structures downtown. Carroll put together a nice looking building with Center Point, but then again the bones were already in place. Regardless, something pedestrian friendly to offset ballpark's wall of fence across the street would be welcome. If it can tie in Commerce Place, even better. Pull up the meters & median in the middle, flank the street with trees, and turn some of those offices into sidewalk cafes & bistros, and suddenly Commerce Pl becomes a cozy little nook and an inviting pedestrian link from the heart of downtown to the ballpark. I've always liked the little glimpse you get of the county courthouse through the alley there.

Getting back to the question of scale, anybody have a sense of how the 8-story hotel will impact the skyline view from the ballpark? Will it enhance or obscure?

from what I understand the hotel itself will be on the north corner of Eugene and Lindsay Streets, at least that is what was first proposed. The hotel located there would not affect the skyline view and would in fact become a part of the skyline. The real question is how tall will the residential structures be? Anything over 5 stories along Eugene St might be a problem. Roy Carroll has not indicated yet how many apartment units will be in his development. For some odd reason, developers have lately been secretive about their projects not making renderings available to the public. For example construction on both CityView Apartments expansion and the Greenway at Stadium Park apartments are well under way and no renderings have been made public. Roy Carroll's project will pretty much take up two city blocks so its a pretty big project. I hope his company will share his renderings with the public. Years ago it was common practice to show renderings on signs right on the construction sites. You just don't see that anymore around here.

Edited by cityboi

I'm surprised the city has not uploaded the preliminary site plan for the Greenway at the Stadium Park apartments onto their public GIS website.

Also of note, maybe minimal in nature, but the office building at 301 N Elm St (NW corner of Elm and Bellemeade St) recently replaced its glass spandrels with an aluminum material (I think) that has greatly enhanced the building's look from what it had been previously. It was essentially a glass box with that UV protective film/goo that often resembled dirt and grim.

I'll try and do a before and after next week if I'm downtown.

• 2 weeks later...

This is really great for downtown. basically it will be a scaled down house of blues without the house of blues name. it will seat 850 and will draw the same national events held at a house of blues . Promoters of the venue say it will not compete with the planned Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. It will compliment it.

http://m.wxii12.com/news/greensboro-announces-new-house-of-bluesaffiliated-music-venue/26884916

http://m.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/07/new-venue-to-rock-downtown-greensboro-by-this-fall.html

Edited by cityboi

Roy Carroll wants to close a portion of Lindsay street for his mixed use hotel development .

http://m.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/07/roy-carroll-wants-to-close-portion-of-lindsay.html

Well, let's see... we're gonna build something to bring more people downtown, so of course we need to make it more difficult for them to get around. As added bonus, the traffic we displace will be forced onto surrounding streets, diminishing their appeal for motorists and pedestrians alike.

Im supportive of this but my question is how is the city going to approve this blindly without any plans, blueprints, ect being presented to them? structures on a number of properties have been demolished to make way for it but no plans have publicly been released. Maybe those plans and renderings will finally be released once city council takes on the street closure issue. I guess traffic that normally goes from North Elm to Eugene St on Lindsay St would take Bellemeade instead. That part of Lindsay St has a low volume of traffic so it would have minimal impact. After all a portion of Lindsay St directly west of the planned development was closed to make way for the ballpark. 

Edited by cityboi

House of blues affiliated venue is coming to downtown Greensboro. it. won't be called house of blues but it will be the third house of blues venue in the carolinas. There is a house of blues in myrtle beach and an affiliated venue in Charlotte

http://myfox8.com/2014/07/10/house-of-blues-coming-to-greensboro/

Definitely great news for downtown!