Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

Is there any noticeable construction going on at this location? The N&R you linked to said the project was set to be complete between March and June of this year.

It's kind of tucked away so I haven't noticed any work from just casually passing by. 99 Blocks article said fall is target date for the restaurant/bar. They're planning an events grounds for part of the property, and there's a schematic site plan that includes parking for 150 or so.

It's kind of tucked away so I haven't noticed any work from just casually passing by. 99 Blocks article said fall is target date for the restaurant/bar. They're planning an events grounds for part of the property, and there's a schematic site plan that includes parking for 150 or so.

Thanks for that. I guess since it's tucked away I always forget about it. The information on the design website though does sound very impressive.

Well someone on this board foreshadowed it. Metro Delistro, formerly Metro Gourmet, is closing according to this N&R article.

I never ate there so I can't comment on the food. I did go in once to look over the menu to possibly eat there, but I remember not being very impressed with the offerings at that price point. Nevertheless, it is sad to see another business close. Hopefully, the owner will have better luck with his sister restaurant and someone new will give it a go at this soon-to-be vacant space.

Well someone on this board foreshadowed it. Metro Delistro, formerly Metro Gourmet, is closing according to this N&R article.

I never ate there so I can't comment on the food. I did go in once to look over the menu to possibly eat there, but I remember not being very impressed with the offerings at that price point. Nevertheless, it is sad to see another business close. Hopefully, the owner will have better luck with his sister restaurant and someone new will give it a go at this soon-to-be vacant space.

If you never ate at this restaurant, then you missed the best restaurant in all of downtown Greensboro. The dinner menu was killer and they had the best pork chops and spaghetti and meat balls i have ever eaten. In fact there is no other restaurants in all of downtown that has food this good at these price points. It is truly a sad day. I know alot of people will miss this restaurant.

Sidetrax is on track for a fall opening, according to a snippet from the News & Record. The group plans to begin upfit and renovations of the building in about three months. The story also details how the building will be used and their plan for a park/outdoor venue on adjacent property.

I'm really excited about this project. I think it will be a good bridge between the two ends of Elm St. currently separated by the railroad tracks.

It also appears as though the group of investors already have a restaurant concept..."southern eclectic" the article says. I wonder if this means they will be running the restaurant or they have letters of intent from outside restauranteurs?

Edited by beyonce245

Sidetrax is on track for a fall opening, according to a snippet from the News & Record. The group plans to begin upfit and renovations of the building in about three months. The story also details how the building will be used and their plan for a park/outdoor venue on adjacent property.

I'm really excited about this project. I think it will be a good bridge between the two ends of Elm St. currently separated by the railroad tracks.

It also appears as though the group of investors already have a restaurant concept..."southern eclectic" the article says. I wonder if this means they will be running the restaurant or they have letters of intent from outside restauranteurs?

It certainly will be a unique restaurant downtown. I predict it will be as popular as Natty Greenes. It will indeed fill in the "deadzone" thats between Elm south of the tracks and Elm north of the tracks.

more info

http://www.newcitydesign.com/images/current.swf

Like Natty Greene's, Sidetrax will be located in a building from the 19th century.

271662607_3e78cb2776.jpg

2290080232_13852396d1_b.jpg

271662053_faac81098c_o.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Here is a new event space in downtown Greensboro called Studio B. I think its been open for a few months. It also has a rooftop terrace. The facilty has the feel of a New York City loft and is being used for everything from wedding receptions to live-music performances. Its located next to the Broach Theatre.

http://www.studiob-gso.com/

studio_photo1.jpg

3210999669_07fd5c59ee.jpg

DSC02390.JPG

3211832704_b2e3fae0f7.jpg

3211852656_bbec308745_o.jpg

DSC02411.JPG

Edited by cityboi

yea i've never been there either. Amazingly they must be doing well if they have been in business this long. There is no visibilty at all with it being in an office tower with no real visible signage on the exterior unlike the planned restaurant in Center Pointe which will have high visibilty.

Edited by cityboi

Out of curiousity, has anyone been to Zaytoon's restaurant at 301 N. Elm Street? I have a business lunch there next week and was curious...

Been a couple of times. Didn't rock my world, but then I'm not much of a Mediterranean connoisseur. Think much of their business comes from the office lunch crowd. Only place I know of downtown that carries Odwalla. Atmosphere is akin to say, a Pita Delight; more "quick bite" than proper "sit down" dining.

• 5 weeks later...

If you have a sweet tooth, a new restaurant will be opening downtown on South Elm St near Mellow Mushroom. It will be called The Sweet Shop, Homemade Poundcakes by Margaret . Showcases "A Family Recipe Since 1945." and serves homemade cookies, wedding cakes, sheet cakes, pound cakes in 12 flavors, bagels, coffee, expresso, ice cream, bottled water and juices and glazed pecans and walnuts. Pound cake, sheet cake, and wedding cake available by the slice, half or whole. Seating for 25 people. Catering available for pound cake and glazed nuts. The opening is anticipated for May, 2, 2009. I look forward to this because you can't find real homemade pound cake anywhere. The pound cake you get at the stores taste nothing like home made pound cake. I suspect this place will be as popular as Cheesecakes By Alex. This is agreat because there will be another restaurant south of the railroad track on South Elm which will encourage more pedestrian traffic on that end of downotwn. Curently there are only two restaurnats south of the tracks and thats Table 16 and Mellow Mushroom. Side Traxx will also be opening south of the tracks.

Edited by cityboi

If you have a sweet tooth, a new restaurant will be opening downtown on South Elm St near Mellow Mushroom. It will be called The Sweet Shop, Homemade Poundcakes by Margaret . Showcases "A Family Recipe Since 1945." and serves homemade cookies, wedding cakes, sheet cakes, pound cakes in 12 flavors, bagels, coffee, expresso, ice cream, bottled water and juices and glazed pecans and walnuts. Pound cake, sheet cake, and wedding cake available by the slice, half or whole. Seating for 25 people. Catering available for pound cake and glazed nuts. The opening is anticipated for May, 2, 2009. I look forward to this because you can't find real homemade pound cake anywhere. The pound cake you get at the stores taste nothing like home made pound cake. I suspect this place will be as popular as Cheesecakes By Alex. This is agreat because there will be another restaurant south of the railroad track on South Elm which will encourage more pedestrian traffic on that end of downotwn. Curently there are only two restaurnats south of the tracks and thats Table 16 and Mellow Mushroom. Side Traxx will also be opening south of the tracks.

This is great. How did you hear about this?

• 3 weeks later...

This one slipped by a couple weeks ago. Back on April 15th, the N&R had a few lines about the new Avenue Restaurant & Bar opening in Center Pointe. The executive chef said at the time that the restaurant was on schedule for a soft opening in a few weeks. So presumably, we should hear some news about the restaurant opening in the next couple of weeks.

I've been very impressed with Roy Carroll's rehab of the Wachovia building. I hope the restaurant lives up to the same expectations.

Read it here.

A new Greek Restaurant is opening up in the place of the former Metro Delistro on S Elm Street. It will be called Opa! Taverna and the chef will be George Kourtsounis, the owner of the former George K restaurant on Holden Rd.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/04...pen_in_downtown

Metro%20Gourmet%20022409.jpg

Good to hear. I didn't think this space would remain empty for long. It's in a prime location on Elm.

I saw the space where the aforementioned cake store will be opening on Elm. It's the very last space, almost buttressing Lee St. We really need to help make this biz a success so more people will be adventurous enough to try opening on that side of Elm. Although, if the food sucks, then it should fail. But I'm both hoping that the food doesn't suck and that the store will be a hit.

Also Zen looked packed today (around 7:15 ish).

Edited by beyonce245

• 2 weeks later...

m_31a997c9dbdc41b5826a9af73271c581.jpg

an oyster bar (Stevens Oyster Bar) opens downtown on Greene Street. Read about it here......

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/05...town_greensboro

also a sports bar called "The Boiler Room" will be opening downtown around the corner of McGee St. This will be a 3,000 square foot restaurant that will offer pool, darts and weekly Wii tournaments.

Edited by cityboi