Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

The new sports bar near Hamberger Square has opened. Its locacted on McGee Street across from the Idiot Box Comedy Club and the Green Burro. The bar will not serve food, but patrons can order from its sister restaurant, S.O.B. Boiler Room owner Tony Stevens opened S.O.B., Stevens Oyster Bar, at 313 S. Greene St., about four months ago.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...10/daily46.html

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

I swear, Greensboro has the best nightlife in the state.

Is this a serious comment? I spent a few months in Greensboro but must have missed some areas. What are the downtown nightlife districts...any besides South Elm? Thinking back to the proposed hip hop club, I would be surprised if any city in NC can support any club that big for long beyond the "shiny new" phase all places go through. The most sustainable and vibrant scenes I have been in are full of numerous small to medium sized places that cater to all types of clientele. Shockoe Bottom in Richmond. Adams Morgan in DC. Glenwood South in Raleigh. I am not sure one overwhelming place is good for the overall health of South Elm. The same logic applies to other subjects in this thread...a 30 story building surrounded by parking lots is not as healthy as three 10 story places that take up the whole block.

Is this a serious comment? I spent a few months in Greensboro but must have missed some areas. What are the downtown nightlife districts...any besides South Elm? Thinking back to the proposed hip hop club, I would be surprised if any city in NC can support any club that big for long beyond the "shiny new" phase all places go through. The most sustainable and vibrant scenes I have been in are full of numerous small to medium sized places that cater to all types of clientele. Shockoe Bottom in Richmond. Adams Morgan in DC. Glenwood South in Raleigh. I am not sure one overwhelming place is good for the overall health of South Elm. The same logic applies to other subjects in this thread...a 30 story building surrounded by parking lots is not as healthy as three 10 story places that take up the whole block.

This club isn't on South Elm.

I've also questioned these types of comments many times in the past. There seems to be a limited amount of exposure to other places which prompts these statements.

Hmmm...Well Ive lived in NW DC near U street/Adams Morgan, the Baltimore area, and Savannah, Ga., blocks away from Broughton St. and River St. Will that suffice??

Hmmm...Well Ive lived in NW DC near U street/Adams Morgan, the Baltimore area, and Savannah, Ga., blocks away from Broughton St. and River St. Will that suffice??

Have you honestly spent significant time in the entertainment districts of Charlotte and Raleigh, or even Wilmington or Asheville for that matter? If you had, I seriously doubt you'd be making that statement.

I will admit, I have not been to Wilmington or Fayetteville. But I have spent time in the others you mentioned including Durham. In my opinion, Greensboro is a combination of all those cities in one. Many people around me share that opinion. My college friends who went to school in the Charlotte and Triangle areas would drive to Greensboro every weekend to party. A major concert venue(Charlotte/Raleigh), downtown ballpark (Durham), art galleries/gallery hops (Asheville) and one of their biggest assets for attracting club heads, NC A&T! IMO, Greensboro is the best as far as offering something for everyone.

Edited by twincity

I also agree that Greensboro gives other cities in the state a run for their money when it comes to nightlife. Having downtown flanked by UNCG and NC A&T, and having the largest arena in the state which attracts big-name concerts that sometimes even skip over Charlotte, really helps. I'm not the only Charlottean who feels this way about Greensboro's nightlife. Frankly, I was quite surprised to see Elm Street on a Saturday night; couldn't believe I was in lil ol' Greensboro.

I also agree that Greensboro gives other cities in the state a run for their money when it comes to nightlife. Having downtown flanked by UNCG and NC A&T, and having the largest arena in the state which attracts big-name concerts that sometimes even skip over Charlotte, really helps. I'm not the only Charlottean who feels this way about Greensboro's nightlife. Frankly, I was quite surprised to see Elm Street on a Saturday night; couldn't believe I was in lil ol' Greensboro.

Don't forget about Greensboro College, Bennett College and Elon Law School. I think Greensboro is the only city in the state that has that many colleges in or bordering downtown. The surrounding college population is a big reason Greensboro's downtown nightlife is what it is. I actually had a friend who came to Greensboro to visit and he thought there was a special event going on. I told him no, thats a typical Friday and Saturday night. Im also seeing more people on the street Thursday nights as well.

Edited by cityboi

As always, it's the usual suspects asserting their idea of Greensboro's pre-eminence in the state. I'm not seeing any non-regulars supporting this position.

Why do you only come around the Triad threads when you have something negative you want to say? You never add anything constructive to our discussions. You're from Raleigh so it's natural that you'd think Raleigh has better nightlife than Greensboro. That's fine. To each his own.

But unless you plan to comment substantively on Triad threads, do us a favor and don't. You obviously don't have any roots in the Triad or any desire to see it succeed in any form or fashion. So focus your attention on Raleigh instead.

Why do you only come around the Triad threads when you have something negative you want to say? You never add anything constructive to our discussions. You're from Raleigh so it's natural that you'd think Raleigh has better nightlife than Greensboro. That's fine. To each his own.

But unless you plan to comment substantively on Triad threads, do us a favor and don't. You obviously don't have any roots in the Triad or any desire to see it succeed in any form or fashion. So focus your attention on Raleigh instead.

I recently took my girlfriend to Greensboro to meet my family. Being from Columbus, Ohio she had no expectations of Greensboro beyond the small town Southern stereotypes. I was proud that she thought that downtown Greensboro was vibrant - she even thought it reminded her of an area in Columbus called the Short North. I was actually surprised myself, being away for so many years. Truth be told, most major cities in North Carolina have areas of vibrant nightlife in or around downtowns. Having said that, I was surprised that the "scene" in Raliegh or Charlotte did not seem as vibrant or large as Greensboro's considering how much larger they are. This really surprised me about Raliegh more than Charlotte, as I always imagined it to be the place perferred by younger creatives. Asheville might have the most vibrant and diverse downtown nightlife scene of all NC cities, but Greensboro is not far behind.

I think people need to give Greensboro some credit because it is what it is. Greensboro is no longer sleepy and boring. I don't know why some have to always say something negative, particularly about Greensboro as if its a city that will never be more than what it is.

Edited by cityboi

As always, it's the usual suspects asserting their idea of Greensboro's pre-eminence in the state. I'm not seeing any non-regulars supporting this position.

You are only here to cause division and not contribute to the subject in any way. You've officially been warned. If you disagree with an opinion, that's fine, but to demean others for holding to an opinion is not welcome nor will it be tolerated. No more warnings from this point on.

City is pushing to have a building on Elm demolished or restored: http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/09...ardous_property

I hate when you have these long abandoned, run-down buildings just sitting their ripe for development but the property owner won't budge to sell at a reasonable price or do something with it. This is another key spot on S. Elm. I hope things can get moving on this.

This concerns me though:

Preservationists say that if the court allows the city to demolish the building, nothing can be built in its place. That

City is pushing to have a building on Elm demolished or restored: http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/09...ardous_property

I hate when you have these long abandoned, run-down buildings just sitting their ripe for development but the property owner won't budge to sell at a reasonable price or do something with it. This is another key spot on S. Elm. I hope things can get moving on this.

This concerns me though:

Preservationists say that if the court allows the city to demolish the building, nothing can be built in its place. That

I agree. Once the building is torn down, no other structure can be built there so its important that it gets fixed up. Otherwise Greensboro will lose an important historical building from the 19th century and there will be an even larger gap on South Elm at the tracks.

Edited by cityboi

Don't forget about Greensboro College, Bennett College and Elon Law School. I think Greensboro is the only city in the state that has that many colleges in or bordering downtown.

This is not true. Raleigh has NC State, Meredith, Peace, St Augustines and Shaw, and is adding Campbell Law School soon(St Marys had a college degree program until recently too). Its good to see folks proud of their city but framing your position around facts, means facts must be correct.

Edited by Jones133

This is not true. Raleigh has NC State, Meredith, Peace, St Augustines and Shaw, and is adding Campbell Law School soon(St Marys had a college degree program until recently too). Its good to see folks proud of their city but framing your position around facts, means facts must be correct.

notice I said I THINK. I wasnt framing it as fact.

Edited by cityboi

I agree. Once the building is torn down, no other structure can be built there so its important that it gets fixed up. Otherwise Greensboro will lose an important historical building from the 19th century and there will be an even larger gap on South Elm at the tracks.

Less important than being able to build a new building, is the fact that buildings from this period are finite in number. Its a nice looking building, and no replacement can offer the same sort of character. I would bet money that the city is focusing on this one structure due to pressure from the railroad.