Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

Less important than being able to build a new building, is the fact that buildings from this period are finite in number. Its a nice looking building, and no replacement can offer the same sort of character. I would bet money that the city is focusing on this one structure due to pressure from the railroad.

I agree. and once its gone its gone. The railroad company also wants it torn down because if someone decided to open a restaurant or a nightclub in the building, there is a fear people being crowded on the sidewalks could lead to someone getting hit by a train since the building is in the right of way.

Not that I am against this or any other downtown study but what is up with all of these studies? I mean it seems like so much is put into all these little studies with little coming out of it.

I think if you look at the overall studies and plans of the first phase, most of the big things did happen like the ballpark, center-city park, greenway and residential. Before Action Greensboro was focused on what should be built where and they have realized that you can't predict the location of future projects. Some of the projects in phase two/three have not happened yet like the IMAX theater, concert hall, downtown research park and art museum. The concert hall was suppose to be the next big undertaking. Its construction would be twice the price of the ballpark and downtown promoters were banking on the planned high-rise federal courthouse to be built as part of the concert hall so it could be funded with federal dollars. Two things have happened there. First federal courthouse projects have been put on hold by the Bush administration and two the War Memorial Auditorium at the coliseum is an limbo. city leaders have been pushing for a major renovation there which would mean there would be no need for a new facility downtown. However city taxpayers voted the bonds down for the renovation so it will be interesting to see what happens there because when taxpayers voted against renovating War Memorial Stadium, it led to a new downtown ballpark. I think we wont know for a few years what will happen with that so there is a question mark next to the downtown concert hall.

rendering of Action Greensboro's proposed concert hall/office tower.

projectsphoto2.jpg

Edited by cityboi

work begins today on the planned 5-story building on Elm Street. Mainly reconfiguring the land. Actually buulding construction will take place in about a month and will take 10 months to build.

"The 25,000-square-foot building will include a two-story restaurant called Bin 33, which should seat about 200 and open next June.

It will also include at least two stories of office space and perhaps a third. Or, the top floor could become corporate apartments."

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/09...rk_begins_today

however expect the building to look slightly different from this design. Developer Jim Marshall has made some design changes so th building will look more consistent with surrounding 19th century architecture.

5story.jpg

Edited by cityboi

BATTLE OVER THE BENCHES.

benches_091509.jpg

It appears that some residents want benches removed from part of the downtown greenway because they attract homless people, drug attics and prostitution. But others don't want the $5,000 benches removed. I don't think the benches should be removed, I think there should be a greater police presence on that part of the greenway. A few of the downtown bicycle cops can make their rounds through there. Crime will happen whether benches are there are not so its going to have to take the police and community coming together to help prevent the crime in the first place. But media focus on this issue doesn't help the safety perception on the south end of downtown.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/09...to_city_council

Edited by cityboi

New parking deck with street level shops proposed for downtown Greensboro. If you are going to build a parking deck, this is the way it needs to be done. I sure hope it will architecturally be interesting and not look like a boring parking deck. But based on what is said in the article it might just be interesting. Parking decks in downtown Greensboro tend to be mid-rises (5 to 8 stories) so if this looks like a building and not a parking deck we might get an interesting addition to Greensboro's skyline. I will be watching the city council meeting tonight on TV to see what the renderings look like. To me the storefronts are the most interesting part about it. Downtown Greensboro does have one parking deck (Bellemeade Deck) that has a few businesses on the ground floor (dry cleaner and coffee shop)

The briefing is expected to include architectural drawings.

“They don’t even look like decks,” Fischer said. “They would have nice architectural features and storefronts that would be leased.”

“I think there are a couple of critical locations right now,” Wolverton said. “I also think there are potential projects that, should they move forward, will need additional parking.”

what projects? could they be large scale projects? one might think so if a big parking deck is needed. I don't want to jump to any conclusions but historically projects in downtown Greensboro that needed parking decks were high-rises. Based on the residential climate I doubt these projects are residential in nature unless they are apartments. My guess is that these projects Wolverton mentions are office in nature or is some sort of hotel. Office vacancy is very low in downtown Greensboro and local developers have mentioned there is a need for more office in the central businesses district. How much office spaces is needed? I guess we'll find out. The economy is becoming more stable and in the next year or so banks will be more comfortable with lending for big projects.

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/09...uld_consider_it

Edited by cityboi

I wouldn't mind seeing a new deck at the corner of Lee and S. Elm. That portion of S. Elm has become increasingly congested with new shops and eateries and parking is basically non existent.

Also, I think a deck at that location might help to entice better development of the adjoining land that the city is currently performing remediation on and will soon put out for RFPs.

Not to fan wild speculation, but I noticed the other day that the "for sale" sign at Davie & Washington was gone from the lot south of the N&R building. Don't see it on the Hagan Properties website, either. Anyone know if it was purchased or pulled from the market?

I think you're referring to property that was for sale by the News & Record. They announced last week that they were pulling it off the market because of the economy.

I wouldn't mind seeing a new deck at the corner of Lee and S. Elm. That portion of S. Elm has become increasingly congested with new shops and eateries and parking is basically non existent.

Also, I think a deck at that location might help to entice better development of the adjoining land that the city is currently performing remediation on and will soon put out for RFPs.

I agree.

Remediation of the land at S. Elm and Lee Streets has begun and is scheduled to be finished by mid to late November, at which time the city will seek proposals for development of the land.

City staff are having a couple of information sessions to update residents about the remediation process and what will happen afterwards. Here's a link to the info.

The newer design does fit much better in this location. The windows are still slightly out of scale in comparison to neighboring buildings but they are smaller than the previous design. The biggest change from the old design is the front of the building. The side looks almost the same. The cornice has been reduced in size along with some molding and window changes. I think its great the developer worked with the area businesses owners and preservation Greensboro.

BTW here is the news link:

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-elm-st-bui...0,5504853.story

Edited by cityboi

The newer design does fit much better in this location. The windows are still slightly out of scale in comparison to neighboring buildings but they are smaller than the previous design. The biggest change from the old design is the front of the building. The side looks almost the same. The cornice has been reduced in size along with some molding and window changes. I think its great the developer worked with the area businesses owners and preservation Greensboro.

BTW here is the news link:

http://www.myfox8.com/news/wghp-elm-st-bui...0,5504853.story

Thanks for the link. Did anyone else catch that both Fox 8 and an article by the N&R a few weeks ago said the new building's price tag was $5 million. That's $1.4 million more than the total originally cited by the developer - a 39% increase. Wonder why? Building redesign, new features?

Now that I think about it, some of the added cost probably includes the upfit of the restaurant on the first floor, since that deal hadn't been made when the building was originally announced.

Edited by beyonce245

Thanks for the link. Did anyone else catch that both Fox 8 and an article by the N&R a few weeks ago said the new building's price tag was $5 million. That's $1.4 million more than the total originally cited by the developer - a 39% increase. Wonder why? Building redesign, new features?

Now that I think about it, some of the added cost probably includes the upfit of the restaurant on the first floor, since that deal hadn't been made when the building was originally announced.

It looks like the reason the developer is going forward so quickly now is because the cost is rising. I think if he waited longer the project would not be financially feasible for him. Examples like that are reason why many proposed projects fall through at the conceptual stage. Fortunately this project like Center Pointe was well under way in its planning.

Edited by cityboi

FOX 8 news just mentioned something about a project in downtown Greensboro under way that could create 1,000 jobs. looks like they will talk about it at six. I know this cant be the 5-story South Elm Street project they are talking about and I dont think its about the school admin building/hotel they are talking about. I could be wrong but im not sure the school admin/hotel project would create 1,000 jobs. Thats a lot of jobs which means its a BIG project. But I'll see what they are talking about. If its nothing we know about could it be an office project? Thats the only thing I can think off that would create that many jobs.

UPDATE: they are talking about the new downtown Jail...ha ha I hate it when the media leads everybody on to think its something BIG. Well its still a cool project and it looks like it will be a jail tower.

current jail (the jail new jail tower will be next to this building)

GCout11.jpg

Edited by cityboi

FOX 8 news just mentioned something about a project in downtown Greensboro under way that could create 1,000 jobs. looks like they will talk about it at six. I know this cant be the 5-story South Elm Street project they are talking about and I dont think its about the school admin building/hotel they are talking about. I could be wrong but im not sure the school admin/hotel project would create 1,000 jobs. Thats a lot of jobs which means its a BIG project. But I'll see what they are talking about. If its nothing we know about could it be an office project? Thats the only thing I can think off that would create that many jobs.

UPDATE: they are talking about the new downtown Jail...ha ha I hate it when the media leads everybody on to think its something BIG. Well its still a cool project and it looks like it will be a jail tower.

current jail (the jail new jail tower will be next to this building)

GCout11.jpg

Hopefully, the new jail won't be so ugly.