Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

Need pics of Liberty Oak, I never cease to be impressed with their menu, it really is a diamond in the rough and not normally found in a market like ours.

Oh, and Ganache has a fantastic Charleston style Shrimp n' grits with a roux base and sausage. Man I'm hungry...

Edited by nowensone

Solaris and Ganache are amazing. Undercurrent is the best upscale downtown Greensboro restaurant hands down. Also good for deserts- Cheesecakes by Alex! Oh and a great lunch @ Metro Gourmet Market

Ive been to Ganache. Nice cafe and they have very tasty treats :P Eat there and you can get fat really quick!

I like Undercurrent's new location hopefully we'll see more restuarants and things to help spruce up that area of downtown which could use some streetscape improvements as well.

Edited by cityboi

There's also this coffee shop that I used to go to called the "Green something" I think.....?? I thought it was rather eclectic, as well. It's on Elm St a few shops from Natty Greene's.

I loved Solaris when I lived in Greensboro!

that coffee shop is called the Green Bean. its very popular and has wifi access.

• 2 months later...

1) Grey's Tavern (restaurant/sports bar) just opened on South Elm Street

2) a restaurant called "The Vine on Elm Street" will be opening in early 2008 (same restaurant as 6th & Vine in W-S)

3) a gourmet popcorn shop just opened (A Pot of Gold, The Popcorn Shoppe) with over 20 different flavors of popcorn. Also sell nachos, cotton candy and candies.

4) Rim Tapas and Fine Wine Bar is also new and is downtown's second wine bar/cafe. The other is The Press in Southside.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

The Triad Business Journal indacated that 2008 could be a big year for announcements of big projects in downtown Greensboro

"One project, he says, is a large mixed-use project where the land owners and developer have agreed on terms of the sale, but the property has not yet closed."

"Charlotte developer John Adcox says he is still moving ahead with plans for a $30 million boutique hotel and high-rise condo project in downtown Greensboro."

Roy Carroll could announce his next high-rise project this year.

The article does mention that a slowing economy could affect the time table of some projects

The Greensboro Triumph Center still seems to be on hold based on Cain's comments in an email

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...1608&page=2

Edited by cityboi

Marc Isaacson, a Greensboro attorney who had been working with Cain, says he hasn't heard from the developer in quite a while. "I kind of assumed that project was off the table," he says. Calls to former Downtown Greensboro Inc. President Ray Gibbs, who was working as a consultant for Cain, were not returned.

I think this speaks for itself IMO. I would be less skeptical had we heard multiple quotes from Cain throughout the past several months that confirmed he was still pursuing this project. He may be still trying to put the pieces together, but I interpreted that e-mail in the article as a cop out of sorts.

I am, however, very interested in the multiple mixed-use projects that are planned. Apparently developers still have faith in this struggling market...

Well I think its safe to say the Triumph Center still is on hold. Its such a big project and something like that take ALOT of time to put together. Remember this is Greensboro. A project of that magnitude is really designed for cities like Charlotte or Atlanta.

Its really nothing to say "well we've decided that we cant build this project" and so far that hasnt been said. Even DGI is still mum on this. But whether the Triumph Center gets built or not there seem to be a number of high-rise proposals that we could hear about this year.

Edited by cityboi

Well I think its safe to say the Triumph Center still is on hold. Its such a big project and something like that take ALOT of time to put together. Remember this is Greensboro. A project of that magnitude is really designed for cities like Charlotte or Atlanta.

Its really nothing to say "well we've decided that we cant build this project" and so far that hasnt been said. Even DGI is still mum on this. But whether the Triumph Center gets built or not there seem to be a number of high-rise proposals that we could hear about this year.

Not to attack you, but I remember it was you who stated that if it was cancelled then there would at least be a mention of it in the paper. DGI is keeping their mouth shut due to the fact that they released information prematurely; that's my take on things.

Not to attack you, but I remember it was you who stated that if it was cancelled then there would at least be a mention of it in the paper. DGI is keeping their mouth shut due to the fact that they released information prematurely; that's my take on things.

but no one has said the project has been cancelled including the media. I have to assume the project is on hold until we hear some concrete statements that its been cancelled and so far we have not heard that. If Issac Cain had cancelled this project he would have said so in the recent email. Its premature to assume its been cancelled without having any info to back it up. We cant assume something has been cancelled because we havent heard anything in while about it. We havent heard anything new about Triad Tower in a couple of years yet its still underway. Sometimes projects take years to get off the drawing boards.

Edited by cityboi

I have to assume the project is on hold until we hear some concrete statements that its been cancelled and so far we have not heard that. If Issac Cain had cancelled this project he would have said so in the recent email. Its premature to assume its been cancelled without having any info to back it up.

I agree that it is still 'on hold', but I am hesitant on using that term because we never had a full press-release with renderings that made this project official. All we heard were rumors from the media. It actually took some investigative reporting to discover who the developer was; Issac Cain never came forward on his own.

EDIT:

How do you know Triad Tower is still underway? Do you have inside sources that are affiliated with the project?

I agree that it is still 'on hold', but I am hesitant on using that term because we never had a full press-release with renderings that made this project official. All we heard were rumors from the media. It actually took some investigative reporting to discover who the developer was; Issac Cain never came forward on his own.

which proves my point that he still may be putting his plans together. I agree the project was leaked out prematurely. Sometimes projects get underway two years before the public even finds out about it. I think Issac Cain was in that phase. The public just found out way to soon. It may be that this project wasnt suppose to be reveal until this year or next year and even then it would take another year or so after that to put together designs and renderings. But I think because this project was SO big, people just couldnt keep their mouths shut and so it leaked to the media. Normally that doesnt happen.

Just like CityView Apartments for example. The plans were announced in summer of 2006, there werent even any renderings available yet, but it may have been 2005 or even 2004 when Developer Milton Kern was taking steps towards that project. Lets pretend for a second Kern's "preliminary" plans for CityView Apartments had leaked out to the public in 2004 and we didnt hear anything about it for a year, many people would naturally assume that it had been cancelled when in fact it was in VERY VERY early stages of planning. Ray Gibbs stressed that about the Greensboro Triumph Center. You've got to believe a project like the Greensboro Triumph Center would take a VERY VERY long time to put together and the market has to be right to move forward with plans. And thats another thing, a slow market typically stalls plans for any project. The projects are put on the backburner for a while and then they move forward when there is an improvement in the market.

Edited by cityboi