Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

I would say the weather. I do know the CityView expansion has also stalled because of the weather. The apartment manager explained that in a monthly email that goes out to all the residents. Here at CityView they have been turning dirt for months now.

Edited by cityboi

I see what others are trying to point out here and it's not simply a matter of using what has worked in other cities, but rather a bold attempt to keep up with the Joneses.

Each city has to realize its own potential, limitations, and capabilities. This is why there have been a number of failed efforts recently and in the past in that area.

Yes but that's in the past; that area now has a lot of momentum, kickstarted by City Center Park and the residential conversion of the old Wachovia building. It's very wise and prudent to capitalize on that now, especially since the economy is on the mend. 

I mean is anyone accusing Charlotte of trying to "keep up with the Joneses" since Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem built minor league ballparks first? And a new urban park in the vicinity to boot, just like Greensboro. 

Yes but that's in the past; that area now has a lot of momentum, kickstarted by City Center Park and the residential conversion of the old Wachovia building. It's very wise and prudent to capitalize on that now, especially since the economy is on the mend. 

I mean is anyone accusing Charlotte of trying to "keep up with the Joneses" since Durham, Greensboro, and Winston-Salem built minor league ballparks first? And a new urban park in the vicinity to boot, just like Greensboro. 

OK.

agreed. Greensboro has taken a lot of baby steps over the past decade and the city is ready bigger things. 15 plus years ago, we wouldn't be having conversations about these projects. Nothing being proposed is "pie in the sky" Its exciting because we can only imagine how far Greensboro will go over the next 20 years.

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Does anybody know whats with the scaffolds on the south side of the Smothers Place Lofts building? It looks like repairs are being made yet I never see anyone working. They have been there for months and months. I know the residents there are upset that they have scaffolds in front of their balconies.

Edited by cityboi

Does anybody know whats with the scaffolds on the south side of the Smothers Place Lofts building? It looks like repairs are being made yet I never see anyone working. They have been there for months and months. I know the residents there are upset that they have scaffolds in front of their balconies.

I drive by each day on my way to work and have wondered the same thing. Crews are often there in the morning. Appears they're removing & replacing the brick exterior, presumably to get to what's behind the veneer. Dunno if there was faulty materials/design/workmanship when they were constructed that's now being corrected, but depending on the reason (and who's footing the bill), I'd be less uptight about the scaffolding than I would be my HOA dues.

I drive by each day on my way to work and have wondered the same thing. Crews are often there in the morning. Appears they're removing & replacing the brick exterior, presumably to get to what's behind the veneer. Dunno if there was faulty materials/design/workmanship when they were constructed that's now being corrected, but depending on the reason (and who's footing the bill), I'd be less uptight about the scaffolding than I would be my HOA dues.

exactly. I dont think I could live there anyway. The building is located right where the railroad tracks cross Elm St an I wouldn't be too happy about train horns blowing at 3 am in the morning.

The Winston Factory Lofts & The Gallery Lofts (old B&W Bldg.) are right next to the RR tracks in downtown Winston and they constantly have a waiting list to  get in .It appears there's a market consisting of urban dwellers who are looking for that true "authentic" urban experience. However, all three buildings are original factory bldgs. and not new construction like the Smothers.  

Edited by zalo

When I moved away from NC I lived in many urban settings so I kind of gotten used to the "sounds" of the city.  It took me a while to acclimate myself from the city ambiance to country living again. Too many city folk the sounds of a freeway or light/commuter rail is common place but trust me I don't think most people can ignore a full fledge freight train that close by.  Unless you choose to or have to because of budget, live in an industrial setting urban doesn't mean industrial by choice.  As a matter of fact this reminds me of when I lived in an apartment in the Haymont Hills section of Fayetteville right up the hill from the train station on Hay street.  My girlfriend (wife now) loved the place because it was on older building, civil war hospital actually, and every night the trains would come by and drive us nuts.  So I can relate to the trains or heavy rail,  that is a different beast than the ambient sounds of the city. 

The proposed hotel is a Hampton Inn and Suites. Hilton Hotels, owner of Hampton Inn has approved opening a hotel in downtown Greensboro. No word on how many rooms or how tall it would be but judging by the size of the lot, it would at the very least be a mid-rise structure. The Hampton Inn and Suites is expected to open in 2016 around the same time the performing arts center, LeBauer City Park and two other downtown hotels open. We'll be seeing a lot of construction cranes in downtown Greensboro over the next few years.

CN  hotels of Greensboro is actually the developer and has recently built a Hampton Inn in Greensboro.

The Hampton Inn & Suites is the fourth hotel proposal to surface for downtown Greensboro. A 12-story luxury Wyndham hotel is being considered above Elm Street Center, an 8-story chain boutique hotel is planned by developer Roy Carroll near NewBridge Bank Ballpark and another has been discussed at the site of the Union Square Campus at the corner of Elm and Lee streets. The later is more of a long range plan for a hotel. Construction on the Wyndham hotel is scheduled to begin this fall.

http://www.news-record.com/business/local_business/article_09240774-dc31-11e3-90d1-0017a43b2370.html

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/05/hampton-inn-planned-for-downtown-greensboro.html?page=all

Edited by cityboi

Don't get your hopes up, Hampton Inn typically doesn't build mid-rise structures. Where are all these overnight guests coming from to fill four!?! new hotels downtown, and what are they going to be coming there for? It can't be the struggling Civil Rights Museum.

Don't get your hopes up, Hampton Inn typically doesn't build mid-rise structures. Where are all these overnight guests coming from to fill four!?! new hotels downtown, and what are they going to be coming there for? It can't be the struggling Civil Rights Museum.

Understand its not about downtown attractions drawing people from out of town to Greensboro to stay at these downtown hotels. There are PLENTYof visitors that come for other reasons like business, furniture market, conventions, coliseum events ect. It gives more travelers options and they dont have to stay at a hotels fronting I-40. Its like asking why would they build the O'Henry Hotel and Proximity Hotel at Friendly Shopping Center. There is nothing in the shopping center itself thats going to attract out of town guest to those two hotels. They are  built there because they are in close proximity to restaurants, shops and entertainment. (BTW those hotels are no where near the interstates) If im coming to Greensboro on business, Id much rather stay at a hotel where restaurants, bars and entertainment are within walking distance rather than driving to these places. Downtown Greensboro is not the same downtown it was 15 or 20 years ago and I mean that in a good way. Also keep in mind these aren't huge 300 plus room hotels being planned for downtown. All of them will be less than 200 rooms.

Most urban Hampton Inns that have seen are mid-rises. I define a mid-rise between 5 and 9 stories. The Hampton Inn and Suites near High Point Rd and I-40 is 5 stories. The definition of a low-rise, mid-rise and high-rise varies from city to city.

Edited by cityboi

A new 3-story 40,000 square foot mixed use building is to be built at the corner of Battleground Ave. and Smith Street this fall. Total build out should be completed by mid to late 2015.  The bottom floor will be for commercial use while the top two floors will be for class A office space.  This area is currently a vacant lot across from Smith Street diner and the greenway apartments. 

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/05/new-retail-office-building-planned-for-greensboro.html

Well, that's great news. It's really nice to see the property around the greenway get developed since it's in such a good location. There's quite a lot of development going up around this corner of downtown already, too, with the greenway apartments, the Deep Roots store, the new greenway apartment expansion, and what ever it is Roy Carrol is planning.

Could Roy Carroll's 8 story hotel in his planned mixed-use downtown Greensboro development be a Cambria Suites hotel? I did some online digging and discovered what appears to be a client list for hotel feasibility studies across the country and under Roy Carroll's name was Cambria Suites Greensboro, NC 27401.............27401 is the zip code for downtown Greensboro. The date of this list goes back before 2012 which means Mr Carroll has been planning for this project for a while. Cambria Suites is an upscale "boutique" style business chain with mid-range prices located primarily in major urban markets and some smaller markets.  The media has reported in the past that Roy Carroll was looking at a mid range price hotel and more recently stated a "boutique" hotel. Like Roy Carroll's hotel plans, Ironically most urban Cambria hotels are between 7 and 8 stories. In addition to the hotel, Roy's mixed-use project, across from NewBridge Bank Ballpark, will include office, retail and residential units. Of course Cambria is not set in stone. It could end up being another similar brand and I'm hoping its Aloft.

http://www.pdfio.com/k-5393533.html#

downtown hotel proposals so far

Wyndham Greensboro - 12 floors

Hampton Inn & Suites -

Cambria Suites ? - 8 floors

Union Square campus hotel (chain unknown) - 5 to 6 floors

current hotels in downtown Greensboro

Greensboro Marriott Downtown

Biltmore Greensboro

Cambria Suites in Pittsburgh

hotel1.jpg

Edited by cityboi

With all the development in that part of downtown that has been proposed since 2012 it is likely that Roy Carroll's plans have changed significantly, and I mean for the better.  For instance, his original plans were just for a hotel and once the Performing Arts Center got the green light his plans for the area became much larger in scope.  An Aloft hotel or something on that scale is very likely considering the location and planned projects nearby.  It appears that Fall 2014 is shaping up to be the season in which we see several projects beginning construction.  It should be an impressive sight.  At the very least, and as of today those projects include:

1.  Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

2.  LeBauer Park

3.  Wyndham luxury Hotel

4.  506 Battleground Mixed Use Building

5.  Roy Carroll's Mixed Use Project

6.  Union Square Campus

7.  Ongoing construction of the downtown greenway

With all the development in that part of downtown that has been proposed since 2012 it is likely that Roy Carroll's plans have changed significantly, and I mean for the better.  For instance, his original plans were just for a hotel and once the Performing Arts Center got the green light his plans for the area became much larger in scope.  An Aloft hotel or something on that scale is very likely considering the location and planned projects nearby.  It appears that Fall 2014 is shaping up to be the season in which we see several projects beginning construction.  It should be an impressive sight.  At the very least, and as of today those projects include:

1.  Tanger Center for the Performing Arts

2.  LeBauer Park

3.  Wyndham luxury Hotel

4.  506 Battleground Mixed Use Building

5.  Roy Carroll's Mixed Use Project

6.  Union Square Campus

7.  Ongoing construction of the downtown greenway

To add to your list, there is the:

8.   9-story Southeastern Building renovation (mixed-use office, retail, apartments)

9.   CityView Apartments at Southside expansion

10. The Greenway at Stadium Park Apartments

11. Senior Resource Center with an outside/inside carousel

12. possible Hampton Inn Suites Hotel.

There are also a few other projects near the ballpark, a mixed-use renovation and the construction of a small corporate office building. Another project that has been overlooked is a student housing development quickly going up along the greenway called "The Grove"

Between now and 2016 will be a time of great change for downtown Greensboro.

County leaders are thinking about demolishing the old county jail across the street from the Guilford County Courthouse. I think that would be a great site for that 15 -18 story federal courthouse that was first proposed 10 years ago. The site is between the county courthouse and the new jail which temporarily houses some federal inmates from time to time. Until the political climate changes in Washington, we won't see that project happen anytime soon though. A tower there would expand Greensboro's skyline away from Elm Street. If that doesn't happen, the county or city may end up building a parking deck there.

With all of these downtown projects, city leaders really need to jump on a streetscape plan that covers all of downtown, not just on Elm and Greene Streets. A bond was recently approved for some downtown streetscaping on Church Street, but so far nothing has happened.

Edited by cityboi

Roy Carroll continues to purchase property for his mixed-use hotel/retail/residential/office project across from the ballpark. Based on all the properties he is purchasing, this is going to be a pretty big project. I'm looking forward to the full details. In terms of size and scope, this is one of the biggest mixed-use projects downtown has seen in recent years.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/06/architectural-salvage-and-its-20-ton-inventory.html

Edited by cityboi