Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

If there's no demand for the project, that's Carrol's problem. He's a professional and he does this for a living so I'm going to assume he knows more than random internet forum people. It's also kinda hard to say there's no demand for apartments downtown when the Greenway complex and Cityview are both almost completely occupied. Your entire argument would require that four(!) seperate companies all be delusional at the same time, and since three of the current projects are currently under construction (none of which are receiving city support), that the banks that financed them are delusional as well.

RichardC,  You must know very little about Greensboro and what it's downtown can support. Mr Carroll has had this project vetted and has the financing is in place for such a project. I suspect him, the financing company, the planning board and city understand this better than any of us. In case you haven't noticed, this project is no longer speculative, its under way. Every downtown apartment complex in Greensboro hovers above 95% occupancy (much higher than areas of the city outside of downtown). At any given time there can be a waiting list to get in any of the three big apartment complexes downtown. This is why CityView at Southside has already expanded twice and is currently expanding a third time.

Edited by cityboi

Seriously Saying there is no demand for residential in downtown Greensboro is a bit silly..  One only has to look at the current trend of downtown residents to see that demand for residential is needed.

anyway here is a map of current downtown developments courtesy of GSOboi From city data forums.

DTprojects.jpg

Edited by GSOcitizen

I drove downtown to check out the progress yesterday after work. And wow Eugene street is a goner...  But you know,I still can't help but think this project could still be built without the need for tearing down another block!, i mean yes it's a ridiculously huge project, but they're demolishing the entire area nearly, albeit leaving a few shops here and there.

Hell, not much of the area is going to be left, if deconstruction does indeed continue in this trend. It seems as though every day this projects grows.. requiring more and more land. The Lindsay Street closure was one thing. But demolishing another entire block of Eugene street is ridiculous to me. Mind you the current business are not vacant, Ducati and Rhino times happen to be two of the victims.

I mean just think of how these business owners feel.. not too long ago there was a news article about how business owners in the area were going to embrace the change and growth, i highly doubt that still stands today, more so their businesses. 

Anyway.

Before:

RL]deconstruction_zps22a9c3ed.jpg

After:

development_zps68a4b92d.jpg

Edited by krazeeboi

Well according to the city council meeting he apparently wants to add more retail along Eugene St. but it's all contingent upon the city redesigning to road to allow for more on-street parking. Frankly, Eugene St. (like most roads downtown not named Elm) reeks of 1960s-1970s era urban design and could definitly use a road diet to add more sidewalk space and parking.

DCB: that is great news, maybe this will be a nice mixed use after all, something of which can be found in Greenville. albeit alot bigger in terms of scale

"1960s-1970s" is Greene street in a nutshell, But add a case of abandonment and ghost town to that recipe, Just so much wasted potential, you would think after all these years the city would have revitalized the area.. :whistling:

I'm hoping all this surrounding development will kick Greene street into high gear... i mean, atleast add plants or benches to the sidewalks.. and fix the damn traffic pattern!! :excl:

Edited by krazeeboi

• 3 weeks later...

Greensboro's House of Blues venue has a name and a big opening act. Comedian Dave Chappelle will perform at the "Cone Denim Entertainment Center"

http://www.news-record.com/blogs/gotriad_extra/new-Greensboro-house-of-blues-center-announces-name-shows/article_af5accea-48ab-11e4-8e32-001a4bcf6878.html

Edited by cityboi

Dave Chappelle is hilarious!! I loved his show at the Stevens Center in Winston back in the summer of '13. I think he should resurrect a new updated show on TV. HBO or some such network would be a great home for him.

Edited by zalo

• 3 weeks later...

Demolition started this week on the planned Charles Aris headquarters in downtown Greensboro. The building will be located near the planned Bellemeade Village. Its the first of two office buildings under development near the ballpark.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/10/first-look-see-how-the-new-charles-aris.html

Edited by cityboi

A mixed-use "campus" development is being planned for a site near the future Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts in downtown Greensboro. The site would include space for retail, restaurant, a brewery/distillery, entertainment and office space. The location is the old Gate City Lincoln Mercury site. A new war memorial plaza will separate this site from the performing arts center. It seems that the planned performing arts center has been spurring a lot of large scale development here lately.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/blog/2014/10/mixed-use-campus-planned-for-vacant-gate-city.html

Edited by cityboi

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Interesting set of stuff. Couple of thoughts from your Raleigh neighbor (FWIW I was born in Greensboro and visit a few times a year). This would be a big development for downtown Raleigh too. We have had steady growth in apartment demand at this price point but, like with condos, its easy to overshoot that demand and glut things. Raleigh's apartment boom will likely slow a lot or halt once all the stuff coming out of the ground is done. Greensboro may end up that way too. I would never assume the developers know best. The boom and subsequent bust was all on them and their underwriters. I would put more stock in an UP conversation any day as you guys are on the street daily in these areas while the developer is sitting up at his lake house. Anyway, I don't know what the pulse in downtown Greensboro is like...there may very well be enough demand for these units at this price. I do have a feel for the Raleigh pulse from hours, days and years spent working, living, eating and drinking downtown and have had conversations with people looking to open businesses or invest downtown, and they value the input of actual residents as much or more than occupancy and income data from a bunch of wonks. We have even discovered that some developers lurk on UP...so just because you aren't a developer doesn't mean you don't know whats up or aren't being listened to. Weigh in freely I say. 

And Lindsay St being closed is well...stupid.  Never let your streets get closed. Our Convention area would love to have Cabarrus St. back from the Hannover crew we gave it to in the 80's and 90's. Council was just too happy to have a developer knocking at all. Anyway, once you get a few hundred residents around Lindsey added to ball game surges, Lindsey would be a needed piece that's never coming back. And what's going on looks obvious to me....the main building is being positioned so that everyone at the ball park can drool over it and perhaps ultimately want to live there. Free marketing, courtesy of the City. Plus reducing the height of the building reduces the amount of reinforced concrete on the lowest levels and thus the building cost per square foot.For whatever reason, this developer got what he wanted. 

Anyway, downtown Greensboro is looking good, especially the rehabs.  Looking forward to a weekend there soon. 

• 2 weeks later...

Groundbreaking for the LeBauer City Park in downtown Greensboro starts tomorrow. The park will be an extension of the future Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. The park ties other cultural attractions together such as Center-City Park, the Greensboro Cultural Arts Center and the main library. Like Center-City Park, LeBauer Park is a privately funded project that will be donated to the city of Greensboro. Total cost of the park is $10 million.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2014/11/18/first-look-design-of-10-lebauer-park-in-downtown.html

Check out all the renderings on the link ....This is an awesome urban park!! I think the design of this park tops Center-City Park across the street and that park is well designed.I love the large aerial sculpture over the seating and stage area which is being designed by internationally renowned Janet Echelman. It will be illuminated with multiple colors at night like her other sculptures in major cities around the U.S. and the world.  The sculpture will celebrate Greensboro's textile history. It will be located above the seating lawn and stage in the northwest corner of the park near the Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. Check her work out online. Also here is an example and will be similar to the sculpture in LeBauer Park. It will be her first project in North Carolina.

janet-echelman-1.26-installation-designb

1-skies-painted-with-unnumbered-sparks-a

One of the renderings show art sculptures over the road tying center-city park and LeBauer Park together.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

Construction on the Hyatt Place hotel / apartments will begin before the end of the year and the 12-story Wyndham hotel should be complete by the time the performing arts center opens. There is no time table for the Hampton Inn Suites and the proposed hotel at Union Square. Its doubtful that all four will come online at the same time and experts in the hotel industry would agree. Im guessing it might be at least a decade before Union Square is built out so I doubt we will see the hotel in that project built before then.. But a lot of construction will be happening downtown over the next two to three years. We will be seeing a lot of big cranes all over downtown and I look forward to the three year stint of the National Folk Festival coming to downtown Greensboro starting next year.

BTW here is more info on the LeBauer City Park

- Lawn/stage that seats 2,000 with aerial sculpture

- restaurant pavilion

- market place

- interactive water feature plaza

- creek

- ornamental garden

- childrens garden

- outdoor reading room neighboring the main library

- gaming areas for chess/miniature golf, ect

- fenced playground with sand area

- custom climbing nets

- slides build into earthen berm

- dog park

http://www.news-record.com/news/greensboro-s-new-place-to-meet-friends-neighbors/article_f4f5fd80-6f9b-11e4-9d1b-4f7dca4493da.html

Edited by cityboi

• 4 months later...

Lebauer City Park is currently under construction. It certainly will compliment the future adjacent Steven Tanger Center for the Performing Arts. Here is a youtube video about the park which will include among other things two concert lawns, one having a dramatic sculpture over it that is lit multiple colors at night,  interactive water feature which can be transformed to an ice skating rink during the holiday season, putting green, dog park, gardens, linear creek along the promenade, market square plaza, games area, out door reading room next to the main library similar to the one in Bryant Park in New York, plus more! There is no other urban park like it in North Carolina. The park along with the performing arts center will certainly serve as excellent venues while the National Folk Festival is in downtown Greensboro for the next three years. Three new downtown hotels will be up and running then several breweries and a possible distillery restaurant and entertainment campus near the performing arts center. These are exciting times for downtown Greensboro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=486&v=7GlsVN82pT8

Edited by cityboi

Can anyone compile a list of all the under construction and proposed downtown greensboro projects/developments?

It would be interesting to see what all is going on and in store.

also the city of Greensboro has put together a map showing where the current projects are going.

cover_map.jpg

world class art coming to downtown Greensboro.

Boston aerial sculpture offers glimpse of what's coming to downtown Greensboro's future LeBauer City Park across from the future performing arts center. The park is already under construction. Greensboro will become the second city on the east coast after Boston to have an aerial sculpture like this. Boston's will only be temporary but Greensboro's will be permanent. Janet Echelman  has created similar sculptures in Denver, Phoenix, Sydney, San Francisco and Vancouver. In Greensboro the sculpture will hang over the grassy area in the performance space.

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2015/05/04/boston-aerial-sculpture-offers-glimpse-of-whats.html

a383ac0c5918e2ae1e45b6a77e6a4834.jpg

van_echelman_photoemapeter_j3a9152.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

cool.  this sounds similar to what raleigh rejected maybe ten years ago because it screwed up their view of the street or something. lol.  i love the direction my old home of greensboro has taken!

Everything that happens in Greensboro seems to be reminiscent of something that has already happened in another NC city.

Name a city that has a greenway loop around its downtown like Greensboro?

There are a number of cities that have extensive trails throughout their city limits, not necessarily looping around downtown. I really don't consider that greenway loop anything innovative.

Now when Dolce and Gabbana comes to Friendly Center, then I will say that Greensboro is the first to have something in NC.