Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

19 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Does anyone know anything about this downtown Greensboro office building being converted to  apartments?  I am not a subscriber so I could not read the article.  https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2017/10/17/exclusive-downtown-greensboro-office-building-to.html   It is the Investors Title building. 

I have not seem any other articles on this other than the pay-to-read TBJ story. I'm too cheap to subscribe! Here's what I know. Seth Coker and Nathan Isner will convert the 5 story building into 24 apartments. Renovations to cost around $2 million. Great location! The building is at the intersection of Friendly Ave. and Greene St. (Across the street from Elon Law School).

Title Insurance is moving to another location and expanding. Not sure if their new location is downtown. I hope so!

Edited by luvdowntowngso
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, luvdowntowngso said:

I have not seem any other articles on this other than the pay-to-read TBJ story. I'm too cheap to subscribe! Here's what I know. Seth Coker and Nathan Isner will convert the 5 story building into 24 apartments. Renovations to cost around $2 million. Great location! The building is at the intersection of Friendly Ave. and Greene St. (Across the street from Elon Law School).

Title Insurance is moving to another location and expanding. Not sure if their new location is downtown. I hope so!

Per the article I read on Greensboro.com, Investors Title is moving to an undisclosed location downtown. Apparently it is a building that has been recently renovated. Of course, I don't know if that means their own building or if it means that they will be taking over part of another building that is already there (though I'd guess the latter).

http://www.greensboro.com/gnr/developer-plans-apartments-in-downtown-greensboro/article_cc778577-b767-580e-b088-a483ed5b3ec5.html

• Like 2

My office use to be in that building. I think its going to be a great project and I look forward to seeing them remove the modern glass and stucco to reveal the original 1930s building. 

Large scale murals popping up all over downtown.  Developer Marty Kotis is behind many of them using internationally known artists. 

Kotis turns RED Cinema wall into another showcase for street art | Local News | greensboro.com

59ea93d9a014e.image.jpg?resize=1200,745

final.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=640

redscarf01.jpg

icecold01.jpg

mural_1467293177138_3606828_ver1.0.jpg?p

colorhaus.jpg

1501197064-first-friday-food-trucks-trac

IMG_9096.jpg

?format=750w

mural10.jpg

59a5d14a33be9.image.jpg?resize=1200,808

59a5d144d04b2.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

59a5d146a0fe0.image.jpg

59a5d1488a068.image.jpg?resize=1200,840

Flyboync.com-9747.jpg

chase01.jpg

daas04.jpg

beer08.jpg

IMG_4101.jpg?format=2500w

promo326685500.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&

jeks01.jpg

57a34b54dd564.image.jpg?resize=1200,694

tracks01.jpg

tracks18.jpg

R0030817.jpg?format=1000w

Blue and Gold underpass, gateway from downtown to NC A&T. 

59c967c63ab5b.image.jpg?resize=1200,900

59c2c88fda0a7.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Construction on Carroll at Bellemeade moving along. construction is moving slower than your typical suburban apartment complex. Its taken over 2 years. The most visible exterior changes that we have seen in weeks are the windows being installed in the apartments on the Eugene Street side and the glass being installed on the main entrance area of the Hyatt hotel. The big parking lot in the foreground in one of the photos below is a site being pitched to developers by Downtown Greensboro Inc. for high density residential. Construction on the ballpark office tower across the street will be well underway when Carroll at Bellemeade is complete. We should also see construction on the 8 story deck portion of/ Aloft mixed use tower across the street begin next year. The deck is projected to be completed by December 2018 and construction on the 20 story tower on top should begin shortly after for a 2020 Aloft hotel opening. Whether its Project 561 or not, it will likely become downtown and the city's new tallest building.  One thing is for sure, there will be a lot of big cranes and construction happening downtown between 2018 and 2020 with construction on the ballpark office tower, performing arts center and Westin hotel tower/deck happening as well.

hotelnov1.jpg

5782ca58e4452.image.jpg?resize=1200,685

hotelnov2.jpg

5781c75b7870b.image.jpg?resize=1200,688

hotelnov3.jpg

hotelnov4.jpg

hotelnov5.jpg

3-final-flat.jpg?quality=85&strip=all&w=

2-final-flat-resized.jpg?quality=85&stri

5925da9042e09.image.jpg?resize=1200,621

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

City council will consider spending $28 million for a 6 story parking deck in which the 8 to 11 story Westin hotel will sit on top. The article also mentioned a similar agree with Roy Carroll's planned tower project across from the ballpark. An Aloft hotel will sit above the 8 story deck and the article mentions office and residential will be included in that tower. City documents show its a planned 20-story tower on top of an 8 story deck with street level retail and restaurants embedded in the deck. The deck will serve as a parking facilty for the tower above it, the future 9 story ballpark office tower across the street and the general public. 

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/greensboro-council-to-consider-million-parking-deck-for-new-downtown/article_6ae251a9-08af-572f-8990-15dc37ff9528.html

5a05f0a512eb9.image.jpg?crop=800,450,0,8

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Photos of downtown Greensboro today and I must say South Elm St was hopping.  Popped into the new Wrangler Pop-up shop too hopefully they stay around.  Looks like some new apartments going in a renovated midrise building on S Elm.  For a Sunday afternoon it was really busy!   What corner at the ballpark is that new office building going on?  It is closer to the new apartments or on the other side of the ballpark?  Sorry for the photo overload.   I  like the taller buildings of Winston Salem but downtown Greensboro is much more alive.  I hope they drove the Toyota Mazda people through downtown.  And the old Jefferson Pilot Life building and addition is one of my favorites in all of NC. 

IMG_3701.JPG

IMG_3702.JPG

IMG_3703.JPG

IMG_3704.JPG

IMG_3707.JPG

IMG_3708.JPG

IMG_3709.JPG

IMG_3721.JPG

IMG_3722.JPG

IMG_3712.JPG

IMG_3720.JPG

IMG_3714.JPG

IMG_3715.JPG

IMG_3716.JPG

IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3723.JPG

IMG_3724.JPG

IMG_3725.JPG

IMG_3727.JPG

IMG_3729.JPG

IMG_3730.JPG

IMG_3731.JPG

IMG_3732.JPG

• Like 3

UNCG students have an idea for the facade of the Renaissance Plaza tower parking deck across the street from LeBauer Park and the future performing arts center.  It would compliment the playfulness of LeBauer Park across the street. This may be a school project but I would really like to see this happen. We need more of this kind of art downtown.  Our city leaders really do need to work with the talent at our universities.

5.png

4.png

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Video news link on downtown construction.

http://myfox8.com/2017/12/20/2018-will-be-a-year-full-of-construction-in-downtown-greensboro/

renderings of the four big projects that will be under construction in 2018

downtownnns2.jpg

Also a poster who knows people who works in the city as well as developers said a rendering of an unannounced 14-story office tower exists. This is news to me. If true, Greensboro's skyline is going to see a dramatic change with all these projects combined. The biggest highrise boom since three office towers were built in 1989.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an article about Greensboro's skyline changing in the next few years. Its TBJ paywall..... But there is a glitch;) when you click on the article it briefly shows the article for about about a second. If you keep clicking and screenshot each time you scroll down the article, you can read
the entire article. It may take a number of screenshots to get the whole article. 

The article mentions that Carroll will start construction on the 8 story Eugene Street deck and the 15 to 20 story tower above it in mid 2018. The tower will include an Aloft hotel and overlook the ballpark along with the ballpark tower across the street "Project Slugger".  Construction on the ballpark tower will begin next month and barring any lengthy legal challenges with the planned Davie Street deck, site work will begin on the Westin hotel next month. CN Hotels also said it still intends to build a 6 story Hampton Inn and Suites in the south end of downtown.  Carroll at Bellemeade and Hyatt Place hotel across from the ballpark will open later this year. Construction on the performing arts center is also underway. 

The article mentions this will be the biggest downtown development boom since the early 1990s. 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2018/01/11/boom-town-how-greensboros-building-frenzy-is.html

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I'm skeptical about this study given the "author" of it. The very engineering firm who stands to gain in a major way from the parking garage being built is also the one who conducted this study. Do you really expect them to say that the garage(s) isn't needed when they stand to make millions of dollars if it's built? What makes me especially skeptical are the broad ranges of percentages given rather than actual straight up numbers (ie: they used 75-90% ranges rather than saying that at X time, there were 678 spots observed as occupied of 755 in Y deck).

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 8:50 AM, KJHburg said:

That sounds off to me; you know in smaller cities in the South, people aren't used to utilizing parking garages or parking a few blocks from their destination and walking.

While the city backed out of the Carroll deck/tower project because Carroll's timeline conflicted with project slugger, the city did say it may work with with Carroll in the future on this project. The city invested over $300, 000 in this deck and that money would be a total loss if the city does not work with Carroll in the future.  For now the city plans to build its own deck across the street to meet Project Slugger's deadline. Carroll's project will be on the backburner for now with no timeline at this point. We saw this happen with the Westin project a couple of times. The city had to act or Project Slugger would have been in peril and would have been completely off the table. Carroll's project is not and he stated he intends to build it but it will likely not be on the same site. Most likely next to his Center Pointe Tower on Elm Street.  I do wish he would reconsider because I would have loved to see Greensboro's skyline finally grow away from Elm Street. 

The removal of the structural spire actually improved the design quite a bit. This looks great. 

eb74a50988b1c17bfb33c93f551a74d1.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Folks it may not be over. The majority of city council isn't too happy that city staff, ( one or two people) called the shots to end negotiations with Roy Carroll and his deck/tower project. Looks like it was premature and the city council may vote to reinstate negotiations.  Council believes the move to abandon Roy Carroll to spend money on land and build another deck makes no sense. Not working with Carroll and the city loses $300, 000 from designing the Carroll deck and would potentially face a lawsuit, Carroll Companies vs the City of Greensboro.  Don't think council wants to go that route. They already settled a $700, 000 lawsuit with the Westin deck over the Cone Denim Entertainment easement. 

http://www.rhinotimes.com/featured-article/councilmembers-question-mayor-vaughans-cancellation-carrolls-parking-deck-deal/

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

News and Record has reached an agreement to sell its downtown site. But this is good news in regards to what potential development could go on the site. It's being sold to the developer who's building the Westin Hotel across the street.

Other unidentified parties are also involved so it's going to be a pretty big development whatever goes there. Its an entire city block! Up until this point, local developer Roy Carroll was the only developer taking on major large scale projects downtown. This would be the first time an out of state developer takes on a large scale downtown project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2018/05/18/n-r-reaches-agreement-to-sell-reportedly-to-westin.html

http://www.rhinotimes.com/featured-article/news-record-property-contract/

News & Record reaches agreement to sell downtown property | Local Business | greensboro.com

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, cityboi said:

News and Record has reached an agreement to sell its downtown site. But this is good news in regards to what potential development could go on the site. It's being sold to the developer who's building the Westin Hotel across the street.

Other unidentified parties are also involved so it's going to be a pretty big development whatever goes there. Its an entire city block! Up until this point, local developer Roy Carroll was the only developer taking on major large scale projects downtown. This would be the first time an out of state developer takes on a large scale downtown project.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2018/05/18/n-r-reaches-agreement-to-sell-reportedly-to-westin.html

http://www.rhinotimes.com/featured-article/news-record-property-contract/

News & Record reaches agreement to sell downtown property | Local Business | greensboro.com

Major downtown convention space has been brought up as a potential part of the site development. Although it would not compete head on with the Koury Convention Center at I-40 and Gate City Blvd. A skyscraper, apartments , condos, retail and restaurants were also mentioned as possibilities.

Convention space does make sense with all the new hotels going up and the Westin would be right across the street. This may be why the Westin Hotel developer bought the site to in part help benefit his future high-rise Westin across the street. So will a mixed-use development that includes a downtown convention center be on the horizon? Time will tell but it's a no brainer with a site that large. Not to mention the train and bus station are directly south of the property and two downtown parks and cultural attractions a block north. The site is tailored for a convention center. 

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/n-r-building-is-sold-begging-a-question-what-will/article_dcfc5e5e-8dc6-5505-81da-da6929d647f7.html

Map shows other downtown projects including Roy Carroll's Aloft / residential/ office tower across from the ballpark.

5aff5913cc3c8.image (1).jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, cityboi said:

Major downtown convention space has been brought up as a potential part of the site development. Although it would not compete head on with the Koury Convention Center at I-40 and Gate City Blvd. A skyscraper, apartments , condos, retail and restaurants were also mentioned as possibilities.

Convention space does make sense with all the new hotels going up and the Westin would be right across the street. This may be why the Westin Hotel developer bought the site to in part help benefit his future high-rise Westin across the street. So will a mixed-use development that includes a downtown convention center be on the horizon? Time will tell but it's a no brainer with a site that large. Not to mention the train and bus station are directly south of the property and two downtown parks and cultural attractions a block north. The site is tailored for a convention center. 

http://www.greensboro.com/news/local_news/n-r-building-is-sold-begging-a-question-what-will/article_dcfc5e5e-8dc6-5505-81da-da6929d647f7.html

Map shows other downtown projects including Roy Carroll's Aloft / residential/ office tower across from the ballpark.

5aff5913cc3c8.image (1).jpg

Oh boy here it goes again. Years, and years of speculation about towers, and entertainment venues, and unicorns...

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, RALNATIVE said:

Oh boy here it goes again. Years, and years of speculation about towers, and entertainment venues, and unicorns...

Funny thing is these kind of things are now happening now if you've been paying attention.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Old Cascade Saloon renovation before and after. The building was built in the 1890s. The shape of the building was so bad it was almost torn down because it wasn't structurally sound. If it had been torn down, nothing could have been built to replace it because it is in the railroad company right of way. There would have been a void on South Elm Street and downtown would have lost a gem.

cascade_saloon_21.jpeg

20180630_061039.jpg

Night-elevation-from-southeast-750x354.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...