Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

• 3 weeks later...

On 2/4/2020 at 7:28 PM, rancenc said:

Thanks for sharing. This is right next to that big mixed-use development that was supposed to go in. I think it was being built by a church? Does anyone know if there has been any movement on that? I can't find anything after 2018. 

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have an update on the Morehead Foundry complex? It's a shame that it did not work out as planned. Such a great concept for that area of downtown. Reminds me of some of the other Warehouse Districts in cities such as Richmond, Raleigh, and Charlotte. Specifically, I think of Lynnwood Brewing Concern in Raleigh which has been highly successful and is always packed with young people on the weekends.

I am also wondering if anyone has info on the Historic Central Fire Station located on the backside of the Marriott Hotel (Greene Street). It doesn't appear to still be functional but I could be wrong. Given that it is on the National Register of Historic Places could by why it appears to sit empty. I think a preservation project that included a restaurant while celebrating the history of the building would bring it back to life and allow locals the opportunity to reconnect with the building.

It also looks like Marriott is in the process up updating their sign? Hopefully they pressure wash the exterior while they're at it!

Morehead Foundry 2.jpg

Morehead Foundry 1.jpg

Fire Station 1.jpg

Marriott Sign.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, CREGSO said:

Does anyone have an update on the Morehead Foundry complex? It's a shame that it did not work out as planned. Such a great concept for that area of downtown. Reminds me of some of the other Warehouse Districts in cities such as Richmond, Raleigh, and Charlotte. Specifically, I think of Lynnwood Brewing Concern in Raleigh which has been highly successful and is always packed with young people on the weekends.

I am also wondering if anyone has info on the Historic Central Fire Station located on the backside of the Marriott Hotel (Greene Street). It doesn't appear to still be functional but I could be wrong. Given that it is on the National Register of Historic Places could by why it appears to sit empty. I think a preservation project that included a restaurant while celebrating the history of the building would bring it back to life and allow locals the opportunity to reconnect with the building.

It also looks like Marriott is in the process up updating their sign? Hopefully they pressure wash the exterior while they're at it!

Morehead Foundry 2.jpg

Morehead Foundry 1.jpg

Fire Station 1.jpg

Marriott Sign.jpg

I don't know about the foundry but yes the entire Marriott needs to be pressure washed lol and the windows need cleaning.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know what's happening on the lot on East Washington Street across the street from the Depot and next to the News & Record property?

20200426_081010.thumb.jpg.d5350468366b83790fd9fcc94ad4f5f2.jpg&key=5317868143e94ac3291cf118832e9676563da3c17636010c780cb16f39f40f73

20200426_081031.thumb.jpg.dd49fc48d3d12747804c52a214b5e03c.jpg&key=6d8feb39cdca6062326ea44441d00f6b8b96a0a4b938c8eb6c48ada1ed5b932f

20200426_081047.thumb.jpg.fa9ed9e00cf056d175ccb3debbc127b9.jpg&key=628edde9dd059003b41c4b943b1b172375f0939b04611cc6bc06fc42f5b8a413

I saw that a couple weeks ago and wonder too, I haven’t heard anything about it or what it’s suppose to be. I think the city has a few projects that they haven’t announced, wish I knew them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 4/26/2020 at 10:08 AM, cityboi said:

Anyone know what's happening on the lot on East Washington Street across the street from the Depot and next to the News & Record property?

20200426_081010.jpg

20200426_081031.jpg

20200426_081047.jpg

I drove by there yesterday - it looks to me like they are dumping the excavated dirt from the Westin site on this lot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

General update. Covid 19 is not stopping downtown development. In fact its moving forward.

Paywall article 

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2020/08/25/has-covid-19-derailed-downtowns-growth.html

Basically the article is talking about the Westin Hotel/ parking deck and the Carroll South of the Ballpark development.

The article states that clean up on the Westin site is nearly complete and construction on the deck will begin in a few weeks. The 12- story Westin Hotel will go vertical early next year.

Roy Carroll is still moving forward with Carroll South of the Ballpark which will include a 12-story AC Hotel, office tower and residential surrounding the city deck going up.

Construction on the deck could be complete be November and Roy Carroll plans to start construction on the AC Hotel soon after completion of the deck. So it looks like construction on the Westin and AC Hotel will be going on at the same time so they'll be a few tower cranes in the Greensboro skyline.

Zack Matheny, president of Downtown Greensboro Inc. said office vacancy in downtown Greensboro is 5% and there is alot of interest for office space downtown even though we are in the middle of a pandemic. Zack Matheny expects 400 Bellemeade (Project Slugger)  to be full about 4 months after it opens.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...