Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

14 hours ago, cityboi said:

Phase 2 of Union Square at South Elm Street and Gate City Blvd on city council's agenda. The project is to include a 7- story parking deck with 5 story apartments wrapping around part of the deck. Commercial and retail will also be included .

https://greensboro.com/business/apartments-and-parking-extend-downtown-gateway-in-deal-with-greensboro/article_56109e9e-85b2-11eb-86e0-5b8e37c07bda.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/further-development-of-union-square-on-city-council-agenda/

604f8b92d689a.image (2).jpg

This sounds like it will be a better, more intense use of this parcel than the previously proposed townhomes. Looking forward to seeing some renderings.

Edit: I was mistaken - this isn't the townhouse parcel. Wonder what the status of that project is.

Edited by jthomas
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, jthomas said:

This sounds like it will be a better, more intense use of this parcel than the previously proposed townhomes. Looking forward to seeing some renderings.

Edit: I was mistaken - this isn't the townhouse parcel. Wonder what the status of that project is.

Not sure but the first steps seems to be taking place. I imagine construction will begin within a few years.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Update on the construction at the site of the old Mexico restaurant near Battleground and Hill Street, on the edge of downtown:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/06/03/developer-contractor-move-into-new-building.html

4 stories, 50,000 sf of office. That represents a slight scaling back from earlier plans, which called for a mixed-use building with office and 32 apartments.

I have to say, the design is pretty underwhelming IMO...

2021-06-03 (2).png

5 hours ago, jthomas said:

Update on the construction at the site of the old Mexico restaurant near Battleground and Hill Street, on the edge of downtown:

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2021/06/03/developer-contractor-move-into-new-building.html

4 stories, 50,000 sf of office. That represents a slight scaling back from earlier plans, which called for a mixed-use building with office and 32 apartments.

2021-06-03 (2).png

I agree. Not a good transition development between downtown and midtown. I can deal with scaling back but the design is abysmal. Developers just don't want to spend the extra money for good design.

Edited by cityboi

On 6/3/2021 at 12:35 PM, jthomas said:

2021-06-03 (2).png

What a weird rendering, no context at all

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Familiar with the Kannapolis CannonBallers and one thing they do is open the stadium's concession stands on the weekends even if there is not a game for people to come by and eat and sit in the stadium.  Now that stadium is owned by city of Kannapolis but they are good owners and yes they like real estate development too.  If there is an vacant land around the Greensboro stadium expect it to be developed into something like they are doing in Kannapolis apartments over retail. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Familiar with the Kannapolis CannonBallers and one thing they do is open the stadium's concession stands on the weekends even if there is not a game for people to come by and eat and sit in the stadium.  Now that stadium is owned by city of Kannapolis but they are good owners and yes they like real estate development too.  If there is an vacant land around the Greensboro stadium expect it to be developed into something like they are doing in Kannapolis apartments over retail. 

For development there is room behind left field on the stadium property including the adjoining lot on the corner of Edgeworth and Smith Street. Also County land west of the stadium. Would be nice to see a 7 to 9 story building behind left field.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 2

In addition to the land in left field that @cityboi mentioned, I think there is an opportunity along Eugene Street in center field. That whole stretch of Eugene is dead, thanks to the ballpark and the Carroll development. There is room where the maintenance area is now to create a new entrance and plaza along Eugene, along with a building and terrace overlooking center field that could accommodate a restaurant, brewery, or other uses. The terrace would be elevated to accommodate the maintenance equipment below (See quick sketch below - terrace in tan, F&B building in brown).

I've also long thought that something could be done in right field that would enhance both the ballpark and streetscape. If the right field fence was brought in by 15-20 feet, an elevated concourse (blue) could be created which, in conjunction with the center field development, would allow fans to walk a full circuit around the stadium. Below the concourse, there could be micro-retail stalls opening to Eugene, helping to liven up the streetscape there.

fnb park outfield.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jthomas said:

In addition to the land in left field that @cityboi mentioned, I think there is an opportunity along Eugene Street in center field. That whole stretch of Eugene is dead, thanks to the ballpark and the Carroll development. There is room where the maintenance area is now to create a new entrance and plaza along Eugene, along with a building and terrace overlooking center field that could accommodate a restaurant, brewery, or other uses. The terrace would be elevated to accommodate the maintenance equipment below (See quick sketch below - terrace in tan, F&B building in brown).

I've also long thought that something could be done in right field that would enhance both the ballpark and streetscape. If the right field fence was brought in by 15-20 feet, an elevated concourse (blue) could be created which, in conjunction with the center field development, would allow fans to walk a full circuit around the stadium. Below the concourse, there could be micro-retail stalls opening to Eugene, helping to liven up the streetscape there.

fnb park outfield.jpg

Yes they could move the maintenance facility allowing room for a Eugene Street entrance. There is definitely room for a mixed-use building with a similar footprint of Project Slugger then land extends back to the outlined corner plot. More than likely they will build some kind of development behind the outfield but they probably won't build too far to the east side because a building would block the view of residents living at the Greenway at Stadium Park. It would likely be similar in height to the building at the Kannapolis ballpark. 7 to 9 stories. The outfield grassy berm may have to be reorganized somewhere else or even removed for different kind of seating associated with the building.

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, cityboi said:

Yes they could move the maintenance facility allowing room for a Eugene Street entrance. There is definitely room for a mixed-use building with a similar footprint of Project Slugger then land extends back to the outlined corner plot. More than likely they will build some kind of development behind the outfield but they probably won't build too far to the east side because a building would block the view of residents living at the Greenway at Stadium Park. It would likely be similar in height to the building at the Kannapolis ballpark. 7 to 9 stories. The outfield grassy berm may have to be reorganized somewhere else or even removed for different kind of seating associated with the building.

This is such a nice ballpark. The Kannapolis ballpark reminds me more of the one in High Point (both are nice). The Greensboro ballpark area is more urban, and will likely look more like the DBAP area in the coming years.

• Like 3