Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

• 1 month later...

3 hours ago, cityboi said:

Looks like Isaac Cain still has his "Greensboro Triumph Center" dreams but they'll likely just remain that.

49a6b10942c2d23f4b2453a52b2aff22.jpeg-1.jpg

84aadf12cf27396e5d64cf19f75b00b3.png

eb0500f16ff9bc1d074e39e0b4ff30a0-1.png

The second rendering looks similar to Carroll's Project 561.

Obviously this is extremely pie in the sky.

1 hour ago, HRVT said:

The second rendering looks similar to Carroll's Project 561.

Obviously this is extremely pie in the sky.

What's even more puzzling as that he still "proposes" a convention center/2,000 seat concert hall. Does he realize we already have the Tanger Center? In the beginning when this news first broke out around 2008, the local media and many took this seriously because at the time no one knew who the developer was and it was reported in such a way that led everyone thinking a prominent out of town developer from Florida was planning this. Quite frankly much of what he has proposed has already happened by a number of different developers in separate projects with exception to a convention center. It would be very nice if his convention center, condo towers, hotel and office happen but not at this scale and scope at this time. No developer is proposing condos of any type in downtown Greensboro at the moment, only apartments. The design of the main tower which I assume is the hotel looks interesting though. But maybe a little bit too far out there for Greensboro. Look like something that would be built in Las Vegas.

Edited by cityboi

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Hey is there anyway someone can get a full photo of the front of the building or the back side facing the tracks?  This is a great news.  Would be great retail space but even office space if you put some thick windows in for sound measures. 

I'll try to grab some next time I'm down there, but in the meantime Street View gives a pretty accurate picture.1450071163_Screenshot(21).thumb.png.673e3cd5a7bd94c56440066f12b4cc79.png701289793_Screenshot(20).thumb.png.c159144444262a1afe01ebdf2bce139b.png914926130_Screenshot(19).thumb.png.41ffb7c07b24a716135a779076e75a9e.png

I doubt that the trackside awning will be restored due to how close it is to the tracks. Still, it will be great to see this building with the pitched roof and proper windows. I believe NCRR owns this building in Raleigh's Warehouse District which has been nicely restored and activated, so I have high hopes for this project.1168290843_Screenshot(22).thumb.png.9d916236aec3e321b83b4972d6f22a2d.png

Office would work here - maybe retail/restaurant on ground floor and office above? I have been in the Cascade Saloon building across the tracks, and while you certainly hear and feel the passing trains, it's not unworkable. Could have been a signature landing spot for the ACC, but I believe that train has left the station...

Edited by jthomas
more appropriate metaphor...
  • Like 4

I can think of multiple uses. Maybe a Greensboro transportation museum or a railroad themed restaurant microbrewery with live Blues music.

If some how the ACC remained in Greensboro clearly they need to move the headquarters and it needs to be downtown. But it appears thats unlikely. The ACC isn't going to go through all this just to remain in Greensboro.

Edited by cityboi

I think it could be a great restaurant or brewery.  That is a busy track I know but the old Biltmore Village train station is a restaurant in Asheville and every now and then a train comes right next to the restaurant.  Now I know these are busier tracks but still could be a neat place.  Wonder if they will restore that cupola that was on the corner? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

I think it could be a great restaurant or brewery.  That is a busy track I know but the old Biltmore Village train station is a restaurant in Asheville and every now and then a train comes right next to the restaurant.  Now I know these are busier tracks but still could be a neat place.  Wonder if they will restore that cupola that was on the corner? 

I hope they do restore the cupola. That was a form of architecture in downtown Greensboro that is just about extinct  (Chateauesque style). It would be very unique. There is only one example. The West Market Street Methodist Church. Much of that architecture in downtown Greensboro was either destroyed by fires or demolished for newer buildings. Remember this was a time when buildings were too old, they were demolished. They really didn't think about preserving 19th century buildings in the early 20th century. But there are still a handful of buildings built in the 19th century that still stands....btw, the 17 story Jefferson Standard Building turns 100 years old next year. It was built in 1923.

This church was built in 1893, 6 years earlier than the train station. I'm not certain but this may be the oldest standing church in Greensboro. I've always wondered if the architect of the Lincoln Financial tower addition built in 1990 used this church's tower as inspiration. It looks remarkable similar.

West_Market_Street_United_Methodist_Church,_Greensboro,_NC.jpg

Screenshot_20220726-183446_Chrome.jpg

Notice the similarities.

PhotoGrid_Plus_1658875969310.jpg

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Interesting article, Roy Carroll who is apparently Greensboro's wealthiest resident makes the cover of Forbes Magazine.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomotognini/2022/12/05/the-guru-of-greensboro-how-a-college-dropout-built-a-29-billion-real-estate-empire/?sh=7a517ce230c1

0x0.jpg?height=933&width=711&fit=bounds

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

Big development including residential, bars and restaurants planned for the ballpark. Exact plans will be announced first quarter of next year. The development will be built by the owners of the Grasshoppers who also owns the baseball team in Kannapolis and is doing something similar there.

If it will be built on land inside the stadium block, it will likely be a midrise to highrise development because anything built in there will be a tight fit. The owners will work with Front Street Capital who also built Project Slugger.

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2022/12/09/new-grasshoppers-owner-has-big-plans-for-stadium.html

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

DGI reveals possible arena and more restaurants coming to downtown Greensboro . The arena could be used for a high level minor league soccer franchise, concerts and a new home for the NBA G League Greensboro Swarm.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/possible-arena-new-restaurants-coming-to-downtown-greensboro/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

There's also "significant"  interest in the News and Record site. Work on the Westin above the deck will begin after summer and Roy Carroll plans to begin construction on Carroll Ballpark South (AC Hotel and apartments) in 2024

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/06/06/downtown-greensboro-highlights.html

Also there are plans for the Battleground Entertainment District near the ballpark 

Two prototype self-driving shuttles, designed by North Carolina A&T State University, will start driving downtown in September

https://greensboro.com/news/local/downtown-greensboro-inc-announces-plans-for-battleground-entertainment-district/article_aee88184-047d-11ee-aab3-7f9a7c0fbb10.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

Edited by cityboi
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, cityboi said:

DGI reveals possible arena and more restaurants coming to downtown Greensboro . The arena could be used for a high level minor league soccer franchise, concerts and a new home for the NBA G League Greensboro Swarm.

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/greensboro/possible-arena-new-restaurants-coming-to-downtown-greensboro/?utm_campaign=socialflow&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=referral

There's also "significant"  interest in the News and Record site. Work on the Westin above the deck will begin after summer and Roy Carroll plans to begin construction on Carroll Ballpark South (AC Hotel and apartments) in 2024

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/news/2023/06/06/downtown-greensboro-highlights.html

Also there are plans for the Battleground Entertainment District near the ballpark 

Two prototype self-driving shuttles, designed by North Carolina A&T State University, will start driving downtown in September

https://greensboro.com/news/local/downtown-greensboro-inc-announces-plans-for-battleground-entertainment-district/article_aee88184-047d-11ee-aab3-7f9a7c0fbb10.html#tracking-source=home-top-story

To make any arena worth it IMO, the capacity needs to be on the higher end (closer to 5k seats). At that capacity, we might have a shot at getting an ECHL franchise in Greensboro as well. As it stands, Greensboro has one of the very smallest "arenas" in G League. Only the Lakers G League team venue in El Segundo is smaller while Wilmington is the same size.

Edited by HRVT