Downtown Greensboro Developments

cityboi

I think it certainly adds activity on Elm Street south of the railroad tracks which is primarily a collection of junk..cough cough... antique stores. Everytime I drive by there Mellow Mushroom is packed. It looks like its going to be one of the top restaurants in downtown Greensboro. like the Winston-Salem location, the new Mellow Mushroom has a unique quasi-psychedelic decor.

I think it certainly adds activity on Elm Street south of the railroad tracks which is primarily a collection of junk..cough cough... antique stores. Everytime I drive by there Mellow Mushroom is packed. It looks like its going to be one of the top restaurants in downtown Greensboro. like the Winston-Salem location, the new Mellow Mushroom has a unique quasi-psychedelic decor.

went to mellow mushroom for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed the pizza....but inexplicably, they allow smoking in there...at the bar more specifically. Non smokers know how this doesn't matter, the smell gets on your clothes regardless. I will go back but certainly not as frequently as I normally would. The crazy thing is that there were quite a few families in there..I heard one guy say "I can't believe you guys allow smoking in here in a new restaurant"

went to mellow mushroom for the first time yesterday and really enjoyed the pizza....but inexplicably, they allow smoking in there...at the bar more specifically. Non smokers know how this doesn't matter, the smell gets on your clothes regardless. I will go back but certainly not as frequently as I normally would. The crazy thing is that there were quite a few families in there..I heard one guy say "I can't believe you guys allow smoking in here in a new restaurant"

I thought they passed a law to ban smoking in restaurants.

but anyway another restaurant has opened downtown. Its an Asian Cuisine restaurant (Japanese/sushi bar) and I think its in the Kress Building where Rum Runners use to be. The restaurant offer traditional Asian meals along with exotic dishes like Octopus Bowl. The upscale bistro is called "Zen".

http://www.news-record.com/content/2009/01...town_greensboro

http://www.bizjournals.com/triad/stories/2...29/daily44.html

Edited by cityboi

you mean downtown preservationists have their panties in the crack of their you know what LOL. Read about it here certainly this is great news and this seems to be moving forward in the middle of the financial crisis. Whats so surprising is how fast this project is moving forward. Nice to see a low/mid-rise being proposed! However I dont think its such a bad idea to build a contemporary design in the heart of a historic district. There are examples like this all around the country and the world. People made a big stink about the glass Pyramid at the Louvre in Paris but it actually complemented those surrounding historic structures.

Edited by cityboi

certainly this is great news and this seems to be moving forward in the middle of the financial crisis. Whats so surprising is how fast this project is moving forward. Nice to see a low/mid-rise being proposed! However I dont think its such a bad idea to build a contemporary design in the heart of a historic district. There are examples like this all around the country and the world. People made a big stink about the glass Pyramid at the Louvre in Paris but it actually complemented those surrounding historic structures.

I agree. I hope this project advances. And if someone really wants to build in this economy, I say we put as few obstacles in their path as possible.

I'm all for preservation, but it can be taken way too far! I have faith that any issues with this project can be worked out and the project can move forward quickly. The excitement of this project by downtown activists will far outweigh any opposition. The developer will get what he's asking for and the project will be a go!

As a matter of fact, I don't recall opposition when the Greeville, SC developers proposed the 8 story Hampton Inn across the parking lot at McGee and Greene.

Besides, are we supposed to just let the vacant lot sit there for the sake of preservation? All it is used for now is yearly Christmas tree sales!

Edited by luvdowntowngso

Why are the preservationists so riled up when renderings haven't even been presented?

I think preservationists are uptight in general because of the damage done during urban renewal, and due to perceived lost opportunities such as the new YMCA and two recent suburban flavored bank buildings. The fact that this one is integrated with existing historical structures may be cause for additional scrutiny.

Here's a critique of the project, as well as a rendering:

Greensboro's Treasured Places

It sounds like the developer did say they were starting over from scratch and taking in account of the historic nature of S Elm Street. So it looks like they are working it out. It appears this project has been in the waiting for a long time because its seems to be pretty far along in the development process for them to start construction in the spring. Coincidently this is moving forward as the current White House administration is leaving.

BTW I actually like this so I dont see what the problem is. It has plently of brick and doesnt look too contemporary. Its a very nice design and has alot of historical elements as well as some modern elements. Its has a warehouse loft look. I love it and its one of the best designed projects in a long while. I just dont agree with the idea that all new construction on South Elm Street has to mimic the current architecture to the T. I could understand if this were poorly designed and looked generic and suburban but this is definately an urban design that fits into the fabric of downtown Greensboro. Hopefully we\'ll see similar designed structures being built next to the ballpark.

5story.jpg

But the preservationists need to stop being so picky. The building could have ended up looking like this. The Elm Street Center sits right in the historic district.

271262360_1497b8e9c8.jpg

Edited by cityboi

Here is the relevant excerpt from Preservation Greensboro's blog:

After reading this critique, I can see where they are coming from, particularly as it regards preserving a consistent street wall with the main entrance of the building fronting Elm Street and not opening up to the small adjacent parking lot. I don't have as much of a problem with the size of the windows or the cornices though, although I would prefer to see the architectural features on the Elm Street side symmetrical. So to be fair, the preservationists aren't suggesting drastic changes, only a tweaking of the design to make the building fit in better with its surroundings. But it isn't like the design is horrible as it currently exists.

I think they are really more concerned about this developer setting a precedent. They are concerned that if developers dont stick to their guide lines they can plop just any design in they want. But this particular design would fit in fine and doesnt look out of place. But if the developer changes the design to look more like the buildings on South Elm Street, im fine with that as well. Like Beyonce said, just dont stand in the way of its progress. Its going to be a great development regardless of the design. As for the restaurant, I would love to see an upscale BBQ restaurant in this building. Maybe it could serve Memphis style ribs. Thats one thing downtown Greensboro lacks is a BBQ restaurant.

Edited by cityboi

Good discussion going here guys! The rendering looks pretty cool. I think it could work there if it were tweaked a bit.

At first look, I liked it, but I will have to admit that the Providence, RI building would fit there much better. It's not

a "wow" kind of building but a building like that would fit well in that section of S. Elm!

Looks like a Comfort Inn Hotel to me. I am not impressed but I guess downtown Greensboro will take whatever they can get.

Comfort_Inn_Cranberry.34193916_std.jpg

Comfort inn.

I don't see the resemblance to Comfort Inn. This project will be good for downtown. I think that before development will begin to extend to other parts of downtown, Elm street, which is the current "epicentre" of downtown if you will, must be completely built and occupied. This infill project will do nicely towards that goal and will provide much needed new office space to downtown.

Here is the building from another angle...looks perfectly fine to me. Actually this would look very nice if it were 10-stories. I love the steel awnings Would have been nice if the developer took it to the next step and made it a "green" building. Word has it that this is actually a revised design from the origional rendering which showed a building completely built of steel and glass.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_lntdivMKlI4/SWON...0-h/mantle1.jpg

Edited by cityboi