Is this region catching its collective breath?

KJW

I know the housing market (save for the 120,000 or less homes) is cooling off for the moment in NWA, but even then does it seem like it's gotten kind of quiet on the growth front right now? Haven't heard any major news in a bit.

IMO, though, that won't last long...probably just a slowdown near fiscal year end for many businesses?

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess some sort of slowdown has to be expected at some point. For that matter it will take a while for some of these developments to be built. There's been a lot of condo developments talked about around Dickson but so far not too many are actually in the construction phase. So as far as Dickson goes I don't think we'll hear too many more projects mentioned until some of these start getting built. That and I imagine infrastructure will slow down things as well. Seems like a lot of times that takes longer to build than your other typical developments. I'm sure all of us would like things to keep going at the pace they had been, but it's probably best for things to slow down a bit.

I know the housing market (save for the 120,000 or less homes) is cooling off for the moment in NWA, but even then does it seem like it's gotten kind of quiet on the growth front right now? Haven't heard any major news in a bit.

IMO, though, that won't last long...probably just a slowdown near fiscal year end for many businesses?

I've been amazed, over the past few years, at the growth of the NWA region. When I started my current job 7 years ago I heard a lot of our company board members mentioning the growth in that region, and I still hear it today. Not only that, but today I have the resources of Urban Planet's Northwest Arkansas forum participants.

I'd be surprised to suddenly see the growth in your area just stop. I do expect a gradual slowdown... eventually... but I'd never expect things to just get extremely quiet. No doubt you guys will be hearing more and more news over the next few years.

And as for the new Pinnacle Hills Promenade... very impressive! And the future Westin hotel... even more impressive!

• 7 months later...

I almost put this in the "developer bankruptcy bad news" thread, but I was afraid it would drift the thread too much.

Even given the slowdown in some parts of the NWA economy, there are some interesting things happening:

- In the Benton County Record, I believe, there was recently an article about the shortage of available day care for infants and children. Without going into a socio-economic-cultural discussion of the subject, the gist of the article was that there's such a waiting list that if you register an infant today, an opening won't be available until 2009, when your child is no longer an infant.

I realize that day care jobs in general are not well-paying ones, but that's one sector of the NWA economy that's apparently quite underserved at this point in time.

- We've talked here before about medical jobs, which are usually well-paying ones. On that note:

* A pediatric therapist recently left the clinic she was at in Rogers to open a clinic at the shopping center where our store is in Centerton, a few doors down from us. She opened in March, I believe, as the sole therapist.

Now she has three therapists including herself, and expects to be up to six therapists at summer's end. She and her husband had no idea of the amount of clients they'd be getting...her husband told me they're getting referrals from physicians they've never known about.

* Our assistant store manager's husband has serious mental problems and also may have parkinson's disease, either naturally or as a result of the medication he's taking.

He's trying to see a neurologist, but as of last week the available neurologists are booked until August. (Needless to say, they're hoping to get an earlier appointment.)

I don't know if we've got any economists here at the NWA Urban Planet, but I'm wondering if so if you think there will be a slow but steady "second wave" of growth to catch up on services lacking to this decade's wave of "immigrants" to our area...

Archived