Winston-Salem hit by minor earthquake

cityboi

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, the article was only 2 sentences, not even enough for an academic paragraph! Would of been nice to know if the article provided any information if everyone was ok, no structual damage, etc

An earthquake, similar of that size occured roughly 175 miles southeast of Winston-Salem near Blenheim/Society Hill, SC not too long ago.

There is the "fall" line that seperates the Piedmont and Coastal Plain. This fall line runs roughly along US 1 through the state and for the most part, all the way up to New York City along US 1. It is not a fault line to my knowledge but just a boundary of changes in elevation. Perhaps, Uwharrie National Forest could have some seismatic activity or up in Surry County/Stoke County around Pilot Mountain and Fancy Gap.

The east side of the mountains is more active than people think. It seems like just a few years ago (2004?) there was a 4.5-ish quake in Charlottesville VA that was felt here in Raleigh. A friend of mine on the 7th floor of an office tower said they felt the floor vibrate momentarily, then someone in the office said "Did you feel that?" :D

the weather channel mentioned it this morning. 3 micro earthquakes in 3 states between Oct. 17-18...Little Rock, AR, Marston, MO, and Winston-Salem, NC. they described it as a rare event.

Earthquake Details:

Magnitude 2.8 (Micro)

Date-Time Wednesday, October 18, 2006 at 01:10:59 (UTC)

= Coordinated Universal Time

Tuesday, October 17, 2006 at 9:10:59 PM

= local time at epicenter Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 36.078

Well, I'm glad y'all in W-NC are ok. I just wanted to check up on y'all. Eventhough it was a tremor.

I remember back in 2003 in Richmond we had 2 4.5 earthquakes less then 10 seconds after each other and it was felt as far south as NC and north as PA. The ground here was like a mild roll and vibrate. And we had tremors before it, because I remember that day December 9, that things like posters were falling off the walls hours before the quakes. Did y'all notice anything the day before?

Well, I'm glad y'all in W-NC are ok. I just wanted to check up on y'all. Eventhough it was a tremor.

I remember back in 2003 in Richmond we had 2 4.5 earthquakes less then 10 seconds after each other and it was felt as far south as NC and north as PA. The ground here was like a mild roll and vibrate. And we had tremors before it, because I remember that day December 9, that things like posters were falling off the walls hours before the quakes. Did y'all notice anything the day before?

If you were here in Richmond, you would have felt that thing. I was scared out my mind. Some people I talked to thought it was a bomb or some kind of huge explosion. I think it happened on the hayes falt near Richmond out in Goochland or Powatan. All I can tell you it was 30 second of what the F*** was that. I also remember one here back in 1997. I was with my brother and the room just stared to vibrate, it was really small compared to the one in 2003.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived