Governor

Veloise

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but it's not put to rest to me. Sure they're legal because they actually sell products in addition to an arsenal of tools and seminars. But I find the MLM business model to be very offensive, not just obnoxious. The fact is that the people who actually make decent money as an IBO are able to do so because they recruit a bunch of downlines. And some of Amways/Quixtars recruiting methods are similar to getting people to join a cult.

I'll generally agree that huge amounts of wealth shouldn't be held against people when they run for office, on either side of the aisle.

But I will point out that everyone I've ever known in my entire life who has enormous amounts of wealth really does have trouble relating to "the common man."

Does that mean they cannot lead? Absolutely not, and I refuse to hold wealth against anyone.

Does it mean they have to work harder to convince me they even understand why rising prescription costs are more than a line item on a budget somewhere, or why paying taxes to keep a bus system running and low-income people able to report to jobs is crucial? Absolutely.

*shrug* I never claimed that Amway was illegal in the United States. Some people find Amway "obnoxious" and others an affront to society. I tried asking for people's opinions on the Dateline Quixtar story, because I was curious about how other people view that type of business model. But not a single person responded (except for GRdadof3 who said he wasn't a fan of Dateline, so I assume he didn't bother to check out the video link).

can you imagine having to carry a child to term that was fathered by your rapist? Apparently those in gov't who want to overturn Roe v. Wade can and think it should be no big deal mentally/emotionally for a rape/incest victim to have to do this. Can you imagine living with the knowledge that you were the child created out of a violent crime? IMO life is not black and white - this kind of legislation does not take the gray area into consideration.

I don't think watching it would make a difference. I'm very familiar with MLM's, and I group Amway with companies like Mary Kay. It is very obnoxious because it is very HEAVILY membership driven. And I have heard the big rallies are a bit strange (almost cultish) with both Amway and Mary Kay, with heavy spiritual overtones. I watched a behind-the-scense documentary about Mary Kay a couple of years ago. Weird.

There is also a heavy push to get people to buy the "tools" and attend seminars. Just like all motivational seminars and books, one could argue they're all scams. The goal is to get you hooked so you need to keep refreshing yourself with new books and seminars. Much like the Zig Ziglar "Get Fired Up" travelling show that was at VAA last year. Now THAT was a scam. What a bunch of garbage that day was.

But hey, maybe we could use those sort of recruiting skills for Michigan right now. :dontknow:

http://www.cwfa.org/familyvoice/2001-01/14-20.asp

The Elliot Institute found 73 percent of rape victims chose to give birth to their babies. In 1981, Dr. Sandra Mahkorn conducted the only previous major research of pregnant rape victims. Similarly, she found 75 to 85 percent of rape victims chose life....Likewise, children conceived through rape and incest praise their mothers for giving them life.

I'm a strong pro-lifer, but I have no illusions that the legality of abortion is going to change anytime soon. Sure, I'll vote for candidates that share my view but I'm not holding my breath. If you want to make a difference a better use of resources would be helping women with unwanted pregnancies to to give birth and raise their children. Donate time or money to your local pregnancy resource center.

-nb

Archived