Governor

Veloise

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My point is that men like this are a dying breed. They are the last vestiges of male neanderthal power tripping. And even the "car salesmen" are having to adapt. Have you noticed how car dealerships feel more and more like a Panera Bread Co. and less and less like a mechanic's garage? Have you noticed that every builder in the country puts homes and condos in the Parade of Homes and has decorated sales models with feminine designer touches? Hmm, that's two of the biggest purchases in most households. How about the explosion of women in financial consulting and accounting fields? Why do you think that is? Why do automakers, computer makers, and every other maker of plastic parts continue to pursue innovations in rapidly growing "soft touch" technologies? It's not to appeal to men, that's for sure. There are countless other examples of these trends. I'm not referring to problems in low income areas with spousal abuse, single mothers, I'm referring to the majority middle class of this country.

Are we at gender equality today? In many areas no, especially with pay. But that gap is shrinking. I certainly don't see it trending the other way like apparently you or Budgie do.

Like Rizzo, I grew up with a lot of sisters, and I'm now surrounded by women :lol: . I'm certainly not complaining though.

That's what I believe and you won't change my feelings on it. Sorry.

Umm...DeVos will get A LOT more of what he wants than Granholm could ever get what she wants for the sole fact that both the legislature and state supreme court are controlled by Republicans. You might as well throw checks and balances out of the window with the way politics are now played. You want to see a good example of modern checks and balances? Go check out our current national Congress, or just look over the border into Ohio to see how well "checks and balances" have worked. lol People don't seem to get how very important this gubernatorial election is. It's funny the state GOP tries to spin four more years of Granholm as more of the same considering they've been in power in Michigan for decades, now. If anything is "more of the same" it's this state Republican controlled congress and court who've had more to do with Michigan's downfall than anything Granholm did or didn't do in her four years. If Michigan wants business-as-usual or more of the same than they can keep re-electing those that represent what the GOP has become over the last 20-25 years.

I would like to see a list like this that is NOT from a liberal or conservative viewpoint. I click on this link, and the first thing I read is a banner announcing "The Right Does Not Own Faith." The problem with a list like this one, (which is from a rather liberal site) is that anyone with even partial political intelligence and slightly above average writing skills has the ability to spin.

I hate W so much it's hard to even put into words. I want my country back!

On the other hand, I'm really torn over our choices in this mid-term election here in Michigan. I had been volunteering with the Cherry St Dems since the beginning of the summer. The more I see and hear, the more I think we may really need a change. All the rhetoric isn't helping the business climate or creating decent jobs. I think JOBS are absolutely the most important issue - in fact the only issue worth worrying about right now. The rest can be sorted out later. While I've always been vehemently pro-choice, all the abortion talk permeating this thread isn't going to matter much if we're all working for Walmart wages or unemployed.

Michigan is in a one-state recession and I feel like this time, we're fighting for our very survival. People are moving out in droves because they can't find jobs that support their families. Many of my friends have kids just out of high school. Dozens of them have joined the Army and gone to Iraq - not because they always dreamed of being Johnny soldier but because the only thing they see in their future if they stay here is Walmart or flipping burgers. I'm a single 40-something woman - no second income to fall back on. One of my greatest fears is that the tiny internet startup I work for will go out of business (we're hanging on by our fingernails). If they do, chances are pretty slim in the current economic climate of finding a job that pays a comparable, albeit modest, wage here in Michigan. I do skilled work at equal wages to my male peers. However, if we close it would be very likely I'd have to go out-of-state to find decent work. I don't want to move! My friends are here, my family is close by, Grand Rapids is my home and I love it.

As much as it would almost make me physically ill to punch the ticket on the Republican side - it goes against everything I have always believed in, I think this time I may have to make an exception. We need an experienced business person who can cut through all the bull and red tape and get things done, who has connections and can use them to draw significant businesses here. I hate to say it, but I think DeVos may be the right person at this particular time in Michigan's history.

As much as it would almost make me physically ill to punch the ticket on the Republican side - it goes against everything I have always believed in, I think this time I may have to make an exception. We need an experienced business person who can cut through all the bull and red tape and get things done, who has connections and can use them to draw significant businesses here. I hate to say it, but I think DeVos may be the right person at this particular time in Michigan's history.

I'm, of course, thrilled by your conclusion, but mostly I want to compliment you on your efforts to sort through the retoric and pick someone that has the best chance of success. You've studied the issues, studied the options, studied the candidates and reached a difficult conclusion. You get an "A+" in civics today. :thumbsup:

May all of our votes at least be cast with a similar thought process (and hopefully a majority with the same conclusion :D ).

I hate W so much it's hard to even put into words. I want my country back!...On the other hand, I'm really torn over our choices in this mid-term election here in Michigan. I had been volunteering with the Cherry St Dems since the beginning of the summer. The more I see and hear, the more I think we may really need a change. ...As much as it would almost make me physically ill to punch the ticket on the Republican side - it goes against everything I have always believed in, I think this time I may have to make an exception. ...

Aw, Beavis.

Here are more comments I found on the G4G campaign blog (emphasis on inexperience and the common person).

...DeVos Jr can’t seem to stay without quitting any job (Amway, various appointments to public boards, etc.) for more than a couple of years. Maybe, it’s because he’s never had to earn his paycheck every week, and had the Daddy’s money to fall back on.

I got a campaign flyer from the DeVos camp today titled “Michigan’s come back from tough times before”. It has a picture of an autoworker building a vehicle on the front. ... the vehicle buing built is a VW bug- These were all made in either Wolfsburg, Germany or Puebela, Mexico...I suppose it’s fitting that a guy who sent jobs to China would’nt know a Mexican auto plant building German cars from one here in Michigan. ...

What does Dicky DeVos know about being an average person? Born with a silver spoon in his mouth he knows little about average life in America. What accomplishments has he made not directly or indirectly tied to his family’s money?

...I was still undecided on which candidate to vote for...that is until I heard a commercial regarding Pro-Life. I salute Ms. Granholm for having her own beliefs regarding the Abortion issue and I further salute her for standing behind Michigan women to make THIER own choice and not a choice of the government.

...It seems arrogant that he would want to jump into politics by running for the governorship of a state with 9 million people without ever having served as a county commissioner, mayor, or legislator. Without background and experience in knowing how to work with a legislature, how to balance a government budget, how to deal with a government bureaucracy, his election would surely be a disaster for Michigan.

~~~~~~~~

Change happens anyway. Do you really think you'd be better off with that man as governor?

Jeez JB, I dont really think that was the intent. One side made some points, and the other side responded. I don't think anyone is being shamed.

I also commend beavis for being able to think for herself. And for the record, if it were the other way around, I would also find that commendable). It is difficult to find out what the truth is nowadays, and it sounds like Beavis thought things through and arrived at a conclusion. You may disagree with where she stands, but at least she put some thought into it.

Regarding the "I salute Ms. Granholm for having her own beliefs regarding the Abortion issue..." comment, are DeVos's beliefs not his own just because they are different?

I don't really understand the empasis that both candidates have placed on one another's past. I'm tired of finger pointing and Monday-morning quarterbacking in politics these days. But I enjoy the debate about what each candidate wants to accomplish to help the State of Michigan. I could care less where people grew up or how they got to where they are.

just my $ .02... carry on :D

It would be so refreshing if just once, someone would run for office and not mention one single negative thing about their opponent, rather emphatically state repeatedly what their own strengths are, what their own plan is and how they are going to make a difference once elected.

Archived