Governor

Veloise

That's completely untrue. There were several periods of time just in the past 30 years where Michigan roared ahead of the rest of the country. The late 90's being one of those time periods. Michigan was awarded five years in a row for having THE most business expansions in the country in the late 90's. I don't think any other state has matched that record. It can be done in Michigan.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Budgie Frisket,

I thought you were against name calling on this thread?

I am sorry if you took my previous post as an attack. I was just trying to use logic and reason to respond to your attack on DeVos and explain the way I see things. I'm not angry at all, just offering my humble opinions.

I'll use red now as it suits me a little better

Michigan's Economy has always been cyclical. It goes up. It goes down. That's because the state is too dependant on the auto industry. 1 out of 7 jobs here is tied to the auto industry in some way, shape, and form. So when the auto makers do well, Michigan does well. When the auto makers are not doing well, Michigan does not do well. Thus, diversifying the state's economy is the long term answer to estabilishing a stable and strong economy that will remain that way reguardless to how crappy American auto makers get. Grandholm seems to have a far stronger intention of diversifying the economy than Devos.

Michigan's Economy has always been cyclical. It goes up. It goes down. That's because the state is too dependant on the auto industry. 1 out of 7 jobs here is tied to the auto industry in some way, shape, and form. So when the auto makers do well, Michigan does well. When the auto makers are not doing well, Michigan does not do well. Thus, diversifying the state's economy is the long term answer to estabilishing a stable and strong economy that will remain that way reguardless to how crappy American auto makers get. Grandholm seems to have a far stronger intention of diversifying the economy than Devos.

We really can't diversify an economy if there isn't a willing business owner to relocate or expand here.

I really don't think a great deal of our representatives in government have a firm grasp at fixing or helping our economy. One step I think that really showed this was when the SBT was hastily rid of. In my opinion this was a shot in the foot. It was a shot in the foot because we didn't have a back up plan in place before removing the tax.

Immediately after the SBT decision you could hear the sigh in investors and business owners. Not only are they leery of our tax structure, but now they are leery of what is next for a SBT replacement. The leaving of the SBT has left a vacuum for another tax that could be even worse and that is a concern.

Here's a little thing I would suggest for those in the business of grand standing:

Work out deals that where ever possible should be private behind closed doors and should be encouraged. Grand standing only works if there's an audience.

Develop a comprehensive plan for public mass transit that actually moves people to where they need and want to go. MDOT isn't doing it's job if all it has to do is build more roads. Maybe even fund things they committ to?

Simplify the processes and make the communication between business owner and state government seamless and respectful. If there's anything we should do as a state is conduct ourselves in the fashion of consumer representatives. We have to remember that the business owner is the customer of the state and should be treated accordingly.

Who ever our governor, I only hope these will be considered.

Agreed.

I do have this to say: Michigan historically has had a tough time of it economically. Granholm inherited a lot of problems from the previous guv.

The problem w/DeVos, in my opinion, is his righteous religious beliefs. They have no place in government.

Oh, and pleasant note to the guy about feet:

FYI, I have a mighty classy pinky toe. I just don't go around flaunting it.

:)

Most candidates for governorships and senate seats around the nation are millionaires but they still have to ask for public participation in financing their campaigns or they get charged with "buying" their way into office. It also helps to illustrate any groundswell of citizen support.

It is rather silly for DeVos to ask for money, but imagine the ads against him if he didn't raise any money: "Dick DeVos -- no support at all from the common man....."

Frankly (in general, not necessarily in the Michigan Governor's race) I'd rather have a fairly wealthy person in office who just might be immune to lobbyist money and influence than someone who desperately needs the money.

In regard to the religious idiologies, all you have to do is a simple search on the web:

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/ar...iew/4136/1/212/

Also, I don't believe this (photo) is an accurate representation of Michigan, so I scratch my head when DeVos claims to level himself with the majority of Michiganders.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../606240352/1022

A little excessive if you ask me. Heck, his cabbin is worth $1.9 million! Probably the same amount as a typical Michigan worker makes in a lifetime.

My point in posting this is to ask the question, "what does his estate reflect about social, community, and diversity issues? I often wonder how often the front gate is open on the private drive.

Don't get me wrong, I understand his philanthropic contributions and respect them, and understand he is accountable for the decisions he makes on where to direct his money.

Yeah, and it's not going to change much until manufacturing companies stop whittling down their Michigan blue-collar workforces. We're not at the end of this just yet. It will take a slowdown in firing and lay offs in the manufacturing sector to show the significant gains being made in places like healthcare, and most of the other sectors of our economy that are growing.

So John Kerry has a deep war chest and owns a bunch of big houses. Whoopy Doo! Massive amounts of Money alone does not make the person. Devos has alot of money too. But that's not a factor in my process of weighing the worthiness of Devos or Granholm for the govener's office. Besides Granholm must have fairly deep pockets herself to afford enough campaign PR to become Governor in the first place. So I'm looking at the individuals and their agenda's they have if elected.

Also can anybody post a link to a source(s) mentioning the "NAFTA" thing? I haven't found an article about that yet and I'd like to see that for myself.

Regarding DeVos' money, did you hear that NAFTA supporter and extremely wealthy Senator John Kerry was in Michigan today campaigning with Granholm? Hmmmm. Didn't she blame NAFTA for companies leaving Michigan? Yes she did! Kerry, BTW, doesn't buy into Granholm's claim that NAFTA has messed up Michigan. He was asked this morning if he regreted voting for NAFTA and he responded "No."

Here are some of Kerry's houses:

Jeeze, I've seen 4 or 5 DeVos commercials in just one night. And, they are the same two and very pointed commercials: the one with his daughter, and the one with the group of professional women telling us to move on from Granholm. He's really doing his last T.V. commercial push. It may just be enough for him to win the election, as all close elections are about who gets the last word in. DeVos has a lot more money he can blow, Granholm doesn't.

In regard to the religious idiologies, all you have to do is a simple search on the web:

http://www.politicalaffairs.net/article/ar...iew/4136/1/212/

Also, I don't believe this (photo) is an accurate representation of Michigan, so I scratch my head when DeVos claims to level himself with the majority of Michiganders.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../606240352/1022

A little excessive if you ask me. Heck, his cabbin is worth $1.9 million! Probably the same amount as a typical Michigan worker makes in a lifetime.

My point in posting this is to ask the question, "what does his estate reflect about social, community, and diversity issues? I often wonder how often the front gate is open on the private drive.

Don't get me wrong, I understand his philanthropic contributions and respect them, and understand he is accountable for the decisions he makes on where to direct his money.

So a hard left web site is critical of DeVos's religous background, I'm not surprised. I personally think that isn't even a reputable website for use in a civilized political discussion.

As for the wealth and his home, he seems to be an equal of many Democrat congressmen from Herb Kohl in Wisconsin, the richest congressman in the country through Kennedy, Kerry and Edwards. it seems like a double standard to me.

How do you feel about Democrat Ned Lamont in Connecticut? He has wealth just like DeVos but gets a free pass from many on the left side of the aisle.

My point is, religion and wealth for DeVos is not an important factor to look at in my opinion.

Jeeze, I've seen 4 or 5 DeVos commercials in just one night. And, they are the same two and very pointed commercials: the one with his daughter, and the one with the group of professional women telling us to move on from Granholm. He's really doing his last T.V. commercial push. It may just be enough for him to win the election, as all close elections are about who gets the last word in. DeVos has a lot more money he can blow, Granholm doesn't.

Archived